C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzing inside cabin

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 04:10 AM
5W30
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing inside cabin

2012 GS coupe

Buzzing noise coming from what really seems to be the driver seatbelt retractor surround or from within that area.

Anyone else?

It's hard to drive and troubleshoot at the same time making it hard to pinpoint.

I know all about the GS roofs making noise and it isn't that.

Please help.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:42 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Have you tried putting a little white lithium grease around the pins that secure the top? Rattles can be very deceptive. You may also lubricate the weather stripping around the windows with a dab of dialectric grease. Those window seals are prone to squeak when they dry out in my car. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 AM
billmiller8
Burning Brakes

There has been a lot of threads on this. I had the same problem on my GS. It is the black plastic piece that runs along the outside bottom of winshield, usually do not here it until you reach about 40 mph and higher. Just get some clear silicon, lift plastic up and run bead along the glass. Noise should stop. If you can pinpoint exact spot just run bead there. I think all GS's had this problem from what I have read.

Last edited by billmiller8; 09-29-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Good suggestion Bill. Might even check the glovebox. Mine buzzes from time to time too.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:03 AM
billmiller8
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zap City
Good suggestion Bill. Might even check the glovebox. Mine buzzes from time to time too.
Yeah possible, but willing to bet it's the plastic on bottom of windshield.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:05 AM
5W30
Racer

Thank you for the ideas guys.

I know rattles can be very decieving but this noise really seems to be pinned to my left ear as I drive. I suppose it could be my top but I have myself convinced it's not. I'll have to difinitively rule it out. I've treated all the top and window seals with lubrication but not addressed the pins yet as I hadn't heard anything that I attributed to them.

I should remove my top and go for a spin and see if the noise persists. The tone and frequency of this buzzing noise really sounds plasticy to me though. Though I've never heard the roof rattle (or so I think) I assumed it would be more of a rattling sound than this fast tempo buzzing noise that sounds like a bee buzzing around my head.

I'm also aware of the windshield plastic piece being a common noise maker but I would be amazed if the source of the noise could trick me that bad.

Will update following testing.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:10 AM
billmiller8
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 5W30
Thank you for the ideas guys.

I'm also aware of the windshield plastic piece being a common noise maker but I would be amazed if the source of the noise could trick me that bad.

Will update following testing.
Oh yes it can, you will go nuts, just stop being a bull head and " TRY THE SILICON " $2.00 and save yourself the trouble.

Last edited by billmiller8; 09-29-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:55 AM
m kraz
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

it could be the door panels my drivers side
door panel buzzed dealer fixed it
Old 09-29-2012, 12:03 PM
K B Vettin
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

i had the exact same buzz coming from the exact same spot. if you want to fix it yourself the piece the covers the seat belt housing is held by pressure clips, you can pop it off and place a piece of foam egg crate ($11 at walmart in the bedding section) and problem solved. then you'll have a lot of foam egg crate left to tackle the many other buzzes you'll have during ownership. or if you are under warranty you can take it to the dealership and have them do it for free.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:41 PM
5W30
Racer

Originally Posted by kristopherbush
i had the exact same buzz coming from the exact same spot. if you want to fix it yourself the piece the covers the seat belt housing is held by pressure clips, you can pop it off and place a piece of foam egg crate ($11 at walmart in the bedding section) and problem solved. then you'll have a lot of foam egg crate left to tackle the many other buzzes you'll have during ownership. or if you are under warranty you can take it to the dealership and have them do it for free.
Bingo! I thought I just might find the right guy. Gotta love CF for something random as this. Just gotta do a little fishing.

Thank you kb. I haven't looked at the surround closely yet but knowing that the cover is held on by clips is good info. Among my stash of different foams/tapes I'm sure I'll be able to find a winner and save the eleven.

Thanks for those who offered ideas. I'm certain that kb has he solution. He knew instantly what I described like only he and maybe a small handful would (i've never seen this one discussed). Call me bull headed but if you heard the noise exactly as I described it you would realize how absurd the suggestion that it was coming from outside the windshield was. in fact.. speaking of bull headed... That's in good humor 8.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:51 PM
K B Vettin
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You are welcome. That buzz drove me nuts too, I could never recreate it because it was random but every time it buzzed i went crazy. Foam is the best, if I ever get into a car accident I'm sure half the panels in the car will pop off and foam would be everywhere.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:57 PM
5W30
Racer

Originally Posted by kristopherbush
Foam is the best, if I ever get into a car accident I'm sure half the panels in the car will pop off and foam would be everywhere.

Haaa. LMAO. Funniest line in days.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:08 PM
billmiller8
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 5W30
Bingo! I thought I just might find the right guy. Gotta love CF for something random as this. Just gotta do a little fishing.

Thank you kb. I haven't looked at the surround closely yet but knowing that the cover is held on by clips is good info. Among my stash of different foams/tapes I'm sure I'll be able to find a winner and save the eleven.

Thanks for those who offered ideas. I'm certain that kb has he solution. He knew instantly what I described like only he and maybe a small handful would (i've never seen this one discussed). Call me bull headed but if you heard the noise exactly as I described it you would realize how absurd the suggestion that it was coming from outside the windshield was. in fact.. speaking of bull headed... That's in good humor 8.
Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Buzzing inside cabin

Quick Reply: Buzzing inside cabin