C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 05:43 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

The town next door will, as well has having your boom box too loud.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 AM
billmiller8
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedraider
In Central Florida, the cops have darker tint than my car. And mine is 5%....
It's the same way in Maryland. What I was told is they are Goverment Vehicles and they are allowed which IMO is I do not want to bash here, but the reason the leo's do not want your windows tinted dark is so they can see who is in the vehicle which I can understand for safety reasons, but does that not work both ways ? with all the nuts out there, I would not pull over for someone with no markings on the car and very tinted windows and lights going off that you can not see them, unless I am in a well populated lite area. I have heard of a few people getting shot and even killed on the side of deserted roads by nuts possing as leo's. So were is our safety ? The leo's here in Maryland are using everything, unmarked Pickup Trucks, SUV's, Chargers, etc, all with windows so dark that you could walk up to them, peep in, and not see a thing.

Last edited by billmiller8; 10-05-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

From what I understand, the device they use to measure your tint can only read the side-glass, as it slips over the glass edge (U-shaped) to take a reading. So you can go "limo" on the rear glass with no worries.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:55 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

I have been stopped not too long after the law went into effect back in 96. It depends on what city you are in, who you are, how you drive, and what you drive... All mine are 15% but have never been bothered since that one time but I know what areas to stay out of. Tint is mostly used as an excuse for profiling and an excuse to stop you. If you are obeying the limit and not driving like an idiot chances are you wont stand out unless you run something like limo tint.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:56 AM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Brady Kohuth
All this really is,is a reason to make the city,county or state more revenue. As Ron Paul has said,"our liberty is an illusion". Everything we do seems to be controlled,as our gov't seems to know what is best for us and "provides" laws for us,the lawbreakers. It is sad and will only get worse.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrash
From what I understand, the device they use to measure your tint can only read the side-glass, as it slips over the glass edge (U-shaped) to take a reading. So you can go "limo" on the rear glass with no worries.
not true... alot of LEO's now have the two piece meters that can be used for windshileds and most importantly back and 1/4 glass!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:11 AM
billmiller8
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1FUNC5
not true... alot of LEO's now have the two piece meters that can be used for windshileds and most importantly back and 1/4 glass!
Inspection Station in Maryland use them as well.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:11 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

A number of years ago a friend got a "fix-it ticket" in Ohio for dark tint.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:35 AM
HammerDown
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A buddy of mine went to court three times for window tint. The third time the judge was going to throw him in jail, because he was just flagrantly ignoring the law. My buddy managed to convince him not to, although it was expensive for him....

Yeah you might get away with running darker tint, but you're already going to attract more attention from LE because you're in a Corvette, so I don't know that it would be worth the expense to me.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:47 AM
purvistechie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have received several tickets for tint being too dark over the years in MN. I used to work for a tint shop so I figured that it was no big deal to remove it if I had to. Funny thing, I never received a fix-it ticket, just a fine. I never had to remove the tint, but did have to pay the man.

I don't run tint on the Vette but I do on the DD truck. IMO the Vette gets enough attention from LEO's without drawing more attention due to dark tint.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Stellas Keeper
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1FUNC5
......... Tint is mostly used as an excuse for profiling and an excuse to stop you. If you are obeying the limit and not driving like an idiot chances are you wont stand out unless you run something like limo tint.
Actually, it's not an "excuse" per say. There are very good reasons law enforcement officers stop folks for tinted windows. A large percentage of drug couriers (who are always suspected of being armed) will utilize vehicles with dark tinted windows.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:54 PM
MDPD23
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been stopped by a local township LEO in PA. Had 72 hours to "fix it". I explained that removing it from the rear window would destroy the defrost sensors. They allowed me to leave it but had to remove it from the side windows.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a ticket for illegal (too dark) window tint from some pimply faced Daytona Beach rookie cop...he had a meter. I paid the ticket but since I didn't live in Daytona Beach, I never had it changed. Gee, it's not like I tinted the windshield like I've seen on some vehicles...limo tint to boot.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 PM
DaveN355
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

A number of years ago I got a ticket for too dark tint on my Dodge Stealth RT/TT. The cop stated that as I turned the corner, he could not see me in the car so he pulled me over to check the tint. Told me that if I took proof, such as receipt, to any police officer, it would be dismissed. I had the tint replaced with the legal limit (on the sides, left the rear alone) and took the receipt to the police station and got the ticket dismissed.

With the clear top on my '05 Vette, I don't think I'll have the same problem. (Current tint is 15%).
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I don't tint my windows because they will definitely pull me over (they are always aching to do so) and I don't need the hassle.

I see others in other types of vehicles driving around in really really dark tint which means they are not ticketing sedans and SUVs here. I've even seen losers with the baby shields (or whatever you call them) stuck to their driver's window and nothing becomes of them.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Stellas Keeper
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaveN355
........Told me that if I took proof, such as receipt, to any police officer, it would be dismissed. I had the tint replaced with the legal limit (on the sides, left the rear alone) and took the receipt to the police station and got the ticket dismissed.......

Proof positive that is NOT about revenue collection as so many like to believe. It's actually about compliance with the law. In most cases anyhow.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:47 PM
jsilvz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can LEO make issue with the back window as some vehicles don't have back windows? It's my understanding that the front windows on the driver and passenger side are the only issue with tint. Here in Texas, just like the front plate, it's a reason for contact as I've been told by LEO.
Drive Safe

Get notified of new replies

To Window Tint Ticket

Old 10-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Keithgt
Intermediate

Ive gotten 2 in Bama. They look for it in the huntsville area
Old 10-05-2012, 10:52 PM
bcarp
Pro

Originally Posted by firebug10
They will here in Texas. Although, it's usually just a warning. We have annual inspections and that is where we run into a problem.

Roll the windows down and pull the fuse, they will never know
Old 10-05-2012, 11:21 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Stellas Keeper
Actually, it's not an "excuse" per say. There are very good reasons law enforcement officers stop folks for tinted windows. A large percentage of drug couriers (who are always suspected of being armed) will utilize vehicles with dark tinted windows.
Interesting post. First you say it is not an excuse to profile. Then you say very clearly that it is reasonable for them to believe you are a gun carrying drug dealer if you have dark tinted windows. Isn't that the definition of profiling?

I understand that dark tint creates a less than safe approach for an officer, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE DRIVER IS A CRIMINAL, but don't you see the irony in an officer pulling someone over for no other reason than they have tinted windows, WHICH MAKES IT UNSAFE FOR THEM TO APPROACH THE VEHICLE? Suppose, for a moment, that they wait until you do something that warrants being pulled over before they place themselves in more danger than necessary. Just suppose.

Quick Reply: Window Tint Ticket