C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 12:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

DIY Fix for "Loose Gas Cap" indicator aka code P0449 w/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 03:52 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

if you would have told the dealer about it he would have given you a free cap, I got mine, it an emissions thing
Old 06-02-2016, 08:12 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Nice write up and the gas caps have a 10 year 120,000 mile warranty on them since 2005.
My 07 cap failed and they would not cover it. I never had a gas cap failure in any car I owned. It was cheap enough
Old 06-03-2016, 02:17 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by enventr
My 07 cap failed and they would not cover it. I never had a gas cap failure in any car I owned. It was cheap enough
Gas cap on my 2005 was covered and replaced.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:32 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Gas cap on my 2005 was covered and replaced.
I guess you went to a better dealership. I probably can debate this with them and call in a rep but it's a waste of time for me as I changed this a few months ago
Old 06-04-2016, 04:45 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by enventr
I guess you went to a better dealership. I probably can debate this with them and call in a rep but it's a waste of time for me as I changed this a few months ago
Yes the dealership is top notch with Corvette service as well with customer service.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:05 AM
TheSchlaf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did this on my 2008 A6 coupe. Part was under the car on the passenger side, just in front of the gas tank. There was more than enough room for my hands. My dad could also reach up there no problem. Just a note for FortMorgalAl, my car was throwing both P0449 and P0455 codes and the vent solenoid fixed the issue.

The rear tire does not have to be taken off if the car is lifted far enough with the proper jack and jack stands. Thank you JKBride and GOLD72 for the detailed part replacement steps.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:58 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Great writeup and pics, OP.

I tried to do this process, but one of the hose clamp ears was right against the solenoid mounting bracket, I could not get the hose or clamp to turn and I didn't have the space to get the pliers at the right angle either. My solenoid was not on the chassis bracket so I could move the solenoid around. I'm a home garage mechanic, different than the guys that do this for a living and have the proper tools.

Any idea what the dealer charges or is it covered under an extended emission warranty?
Old 09-03-2016, 11:18 AM
pfic06
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also got P0449 on my 06 A6. Came on heading to Corvettes at Carlisle. While there I asked the Chevy tech if he had any tricks. All he said is that you have to remove the right muffler. But others have done it with out removing the muffler. So I climbed under my car and took a look. There is plenty of room to get you had up there and remove the unit. I used slip joint pliers to move the clamp. The hose was stuck, so I used a panel clip removal pliers to get the hose off with a little help with WD40. The rest was simple.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:32 PM
corvette_manX
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JKbride
Driving down the road and you see "Check Gas Cap" warning come up on the Drivers Info Center (DIC)...take heart, it's an easy fix and does not take much time or money to repair yourself.

First, check your fuses and your gas cap. The cap should be on good and make sure it's secure. Tank up and drive your car for about 50 miles. If the code does not clear you should replace your gas cap. I purchased one from my local Chevrolet dealer for $22.

Secondly, if after tanking up and replacing your gas cap the warning does not clear, then it's time to use your trusty code reader and see if you can't read and clear the code. If you don't have one you can purchase them at your local parts store for about $50.

Plug it in the OBD adapter located under the driver’s side dash.

Follow your reader’s instructions and read the codes.

In my case I had a P0449 and a P0455. P0449 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit Malfunction and P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

I tried resetting my codes, but they would come back within seconds. The next step is purchase a new Fuel Vent Solenoid from your local dealer. In my case it was about $25. GM also recommends an upgraded harness ($30)...but it was not needed, so I will return it.

The Fuel Vent Solenoid is located on the passenger side tank near it’s top and is easy to get to. I removed my rear tire, jacked up the car, placed jack stands and chocks (I'm super cautious under a car).

Once under the car this is what you will see, and I have my finger on the part:

Remove the Vent Hose (it runs to your emissions canister) using a pair of pliers. You can rotate the clamp if needed to access the dog ears to open the clamp.

Unplug the power connection

Slide the Vent Solenoid Assy of its bracket. Although it looks like it would slide towards the front of the car it does not. Simply lift the back of the assy high enough for the dog ear to clear the back of the bracket and slide toward the rear of the car. The pic below shows you how it mounts and the dog ear location.

Put the new Vent Solenoid Assy back on by placing it on the bracket and slide it towards the front of the car. You will hear it click in place. Plug the power plug back in and reconnect the hose.

Here is the new one installed.

Now plug your code reader back in and scan for codes. If they come up hit erase.

This is what you should now see on your code reader. No Codes and the DIC is clear with no check engine light or warnings.

From start to finish the repair took 20 mins. The cost of the parts, including gas cap was about $50 and if the harness is needed it's about $80. If you don't have a code reader add another $50. Only tool needed is a pair of pliers.

In all this is a simple repair and does not cost much in terms of time or money to do yourself.

I hope this helps,
John

2005 Coupe. I removed the rear passenger side tire and looked for the vent value as indicated. I can't find it. Am I looking at the correct side? Do I need to remove any wheel walls?
The following users liked this post:
LS WON (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 05:43 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by corvette_manX
2005 Coupe. I removed the rear passenger side tire and looked for the vent value as indicated. I can't find it. Am I looking at the correct side? Do I need to remove any wheel walls?
Old 02-14-2017, 09:58 AM
DSS-Customs
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hate to bump an old thread again but I figured it's better than posting a new one regarding the same subject. I have a 2006 A6 and I'm really having a hard time finding this vent solenoid. Everyone keeps saying it's on the rear passenger side. I removed the rear passenger wheel yesterday after jacking up the car, and still nothing. I took a flashlight to the entire area where the mufflers would be (both deleted) with no luck at all. What am I missing? Is it more toward the center of the car underneath than toward the rear? It's very difficult to tell where it is from the pictures. I didn't want to start pulling the wheel well plastic off just yet. I was going to have a look under the car again today.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:59 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by DSS-Customs
I hate to bump an old thread again but I figured it's better than posting a new one regarding the same subject. I have a 2006 A6 and I'm really having a hard time finding this vent solenoid. Everyone keeps saying it's on the rear passenger side. I removed the rear passenger wheel yesterday after jacking up the car, and still nothing. I took a flashlight to the entire area where the mufflers would be (both deleted) with no luck at all. What am I missing? Is it more toward the center of the car underneath than toward the rear? It's very difficult to tell where it is from the pictures. I didn't want to start pulling the wheel well plastic off just yet. I was going to have a look under the car again today.
It is tucked in the tunnel just about where the tunnel flairs out for the suspension next to the transmission, probably 8" up from the bottom of the transmission on the right side.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:09 PM
DSS-Customs
Intermediate

I was actually able to locate it again looking in the correct area this time. I snapped some pictures for those who have A6 C6's. You don't have to remove anything, but it would make it easier if you dropped your right muffler and exhaust pipe. Mine are deleted, so it made it easier, but still a squeeze to get behind the piping to get at the clamp. I hope this helps for those who had trouble finding the solenoid such as myself.

Name:  IMG_5457_zpswopdxm7e.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  149.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5456_zpstbgyonp9.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  171.8 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by DSS-Customs:
High Altitude Vette (05-23-2017), LS WON (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 03:10 PM
DSS-Customs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AzDave47
It is tucked in the tunnel just about where the tunnel flairs out for the suspension next to the transmission, probably 8" up from the bottom of the transmission on the right side.
Thanks for the assistance!
Old 02-16-2017, 09:39 PM
jumper768
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post. All the Way!
Old 04-20-2017, 02:45 PM
Bearsden
Racer

Can one get up there without removing the wheel if it's up on a lift? '08 M6
Old 04-20-2017, 04:05 PM
Detroit1
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Excellent write up and great pictures

Originally Posted by JKbride
Driving down the road and you see "Check Gas Cap" warning come up on the Drivers Info Center (DIC)...take heart, it's an easy fix and does not take much time or money to repair yourself.

First, check your fuses and your gas cap. The cap should be on good and make sure it's secure. Tank up and drive your car for about 50 miles. If the code does not clear you should replace your gas cap. I purchased one from my local Chevrolet dealer for $22.

Secondly, if after tanking up and replacing your gas cap the warning does not clear, then it's time to use your trusty code reader and see if you can't read and clear the code. If you don't have one you can purchase them at your local parts store for about $50.

Plug it in the OBD adapter located under the driver’s side dash.

Follow your reader’s instructions and read the codes.

In my case I had a P0449 and a P0455. P0449 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit Malfunction and P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

I tried resetting my codes, but they would come back within seconds. The next step is purchase a new Fuel Vent Solenoid from your local dealer. In my case it was about $25. GM also recommends an upgraded harness ($30)...but it was not needed, so I will return it.

The Fuel Vent Solenoid is located on the passenger side tank near it’s top and is easy to get to. I removed my rear tire, jacked up the car, placed jack stands and chocks (I'm super cautious under a car).

Once under the car this is what you will see, and I have my finger on the part:

Remove the Vent Hose (it runs to your emissions canister) using a pair of pliers. You can rotate the clamp if needed to access the dog ears to open the clamp.

Unplug the power connection

Slide the Vent Solenoid Assy of its bracket. Although it looks like it would slide towards the front of the car it does not. Simply lift the back of the assy high enough for the dog ear to clear the back of the bracket and slide toward the rear of the car. The pic below shows you how it mounts and the dog ear location.

Put the new Vent Solenoid Assy back on by placing it on the bracket and slide it towards the front of the car. You will hear it click in place. Plug the power plug back in and reconnect the hose.

Here is the new one installed.

Now plug your code reader back in and scan for codes. If they come up hit erase.

This is what you should now see on your code reader. No Codes and the DIC is clear with no check engine light or warnings.

From start to finish the repair took 20 mins. The cost of the parts, including gas cap was about $50 and if the harness is needed it's about $80. If you don't have a code reader add another $50. Only tool needed is a pair of pliers.

In all this is a simple repair and does not cost much in terms of time or money to do yourself.

I hope this helps,

John
Thanks for posting this is a keeper and will certainly help other owners.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To DIY Fix for "Loose Gas Cap" indicator aka code P0449 w/Pics

Old 05-22-2017, 08:04 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

Good thread, had code, erased a few times to make sure not a fluke ordered on amazon, with correct plug for 2008 for 22 Bucks on prime.

Installed with nothing other then jacking car up and laying under it.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:45 AM
tri08sbc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Great info
Old 06-08-2017, 06:15 PM
Jimmy 2 Times
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

thought all emissions equipment was covered under 10 year warranty? I just pulled the code on my neighbor and dealer told him his is not covered, it is an 07 (bought 12/07)

Quick Reply: DIY Fix for "Loose Gas Cap" indicator aka code P0449 w/Pics