C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What Color 427 Vert do you have
Artic White
33.02%
Blade Silver Metallic
4.72%
Inferno Orange Metallic
2.83%
Black
16.98%
Velocity Yellow Tintcoat
3.77%
Cyber Gray Metallic
7.55%
Torch Red
8.49%
Crystal Red Metallic
10.38%
Supersonic Blue
0.94%
Night Race Blue
11.32%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

427 Convertible Registry, Color Poll, and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Belv.
1059, best guess late 2012 build, made the deal waiting for delivery from Detroit, MI to CA car is all black/black, cup wheels are grey but black cup wheels coming, when I was growing up in Cali in the late sixties, all the Vette dudes had white pants, should I get some.
First Vette, Mopar guy and I must admit that this car is awesome and have been drowling for one since they first came out.
Definitely get the white pants if you want to be in, and the gold chain is a must!

This is my first Vette as well!
Old 02-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Fuele
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1059, best guess late 2012 build, made the deal waiting for delivery from Detroit, MI to CA car is all black/black, cup wheels are grey but black cup wheels coming, when I was growing up in Cali in the late sixties, all the Vette dudes had white pants, should I get some.
First Vette, Mopar guy and I must admit that this car is awesome and have been drowling for one since they first came out.
Excellent choice brother and welcome to the hood. Wait till you drive this machine
Old 02-21-2014, 02:35 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

It was built late August 12. TallyHo's car (1062) was built Aug 29, 2012 My Car, 0774, was completed on 9 August, 2012.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:08 PM
Farmdawg
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been lucky so far. Thanks
Old 02-22-2014, 07:31 AM
shekmark427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 122 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013 427
Wow, I had a great time at the Bondurant West track last weekend. I really love my 427! As I am new at this I ran with the novice group all day. This is a very technical track with lots of tight turns and one long straight. I found that my car could hang with anything in the turns, and then would pull away easily along the straight-away, which is the only place we were allowed to pass in the novice group. I was never once passed, but passed many other cars - including a Grand Sport, a C7, an older Ferrari, and lots of ricers. The all-stock LS7 pulled like a monster, especially once I got past 5,000 rpm. I was glad I had recently got the front end wrapped with Xpel as there was lots of debris being thrown up, but no damage, and no need to put that crappy looking racing tape all over the car. The only thing that concerns me is the tires. The Michelins performed great on the track, but look like they took quite a beating. They have 7,000 miles on them, and they were run for 4 twenty minute sessions. They still have a good amount of tread-life, but I don't know if I can afford to do this very often if it eats tires so quickly. Overall, I think most people who bought the 60th Anniv edition 427 don't plan on tracking them, and want to keep them low mileage, but that is not my plan. I will probably put 6-8,000 miles on annually, and get it on a track a couple times per year just to remind myself of the outstanding capabilities of the car. I would highly encourage others to think about doing the same
That sounds like a great time. NJ Motosport track near me requires a roll bar for all but the real slow track experience. I forget what it is called, but you follow each other around the track . I may sign up for a weekend at Bondurant driving their cars.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:52 AM
2013 427
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shekmark427
That sounds like a great time. NJ Motosport track near me requires a roll bar for all but the real slow track experience. I forget what it is called, but you follow each other around the track . I may sign up for a weekend at Bondurant driving their cars.
That sucks about the roll bar requirement. You might want to see if there are other options within driving distance for you, as there is nothing like the experience of tracking your own car. In terms of Bondurant, I would highly recommend them as a good alternative. I did the 2 day Z06 class last year and had a blast while learning the capabilities of the car. This is not cheap, but it is their cars taking all of the abuse. The instructors there are firsts rate, many of which race professionally themselves. I recommend not coming during the gawd-awful months of July and August when we pretty much face death by incineration out here.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Belv.
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
It was built late August 12. TallyHo's car (1062) was built Aug 29, 2012 My Car, 0774, was completed on 9 August, 2012.
Thanks for the kind words and update on build date, when the car gets to CA, will take some shots and include in future post.

Side note got the Mr. T starter kit with options, running to Jos A Bank for the 2 for 1 sale on white pants
Old 02-24-2014, 04:32 PM
hhntr111
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the kind words and update on build date, when the car gets to CA, will take some shots and include in future post.

Side note got the Mr. T starter kit with options, running to Jos A Bank for the 2 for 1 sale on white pants
Don't forget the 2 for 1 on white socks to go with the outfit
Old 02-24-2014, 04:45 PM
JMills
Drifting

Received 792 Likes on 331 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Default Splash guards

Anyone put a set on the front ? Going on some trips this summer and thinking its a good idea to put a set on behind the front wheels! Anyone know if they come in gloss black carbon fiber to match the splinter!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by hhntr111
Don't forget the 2 for 1 on white socks to go with the outfit
That would be quite an ensemble of Vette coolness! As a matter of fact my salesman is the quintessential Vette owner himself!
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2014, 08:42 PM
14vision
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Convertible Top ?

Don't know if this is correct thread for a post like this, but I figured here is where all the knowledge is being we all have the same car.

Just took delivery from Michigan of 60th anniversary edition white/blue with stripes. The 427 convertible was an easy choice when I sold my 2008 Z06 and couldn't be happier. My question is when I got the car delivered to south florida and put top down yesterday I notice behind both seats on the rounded cowls on the tonneau cover there were these green markings on both sides. I couldn't figure out why they were green and nothing under the bottom of the top itself has any green etc since it is a blue top. There are two clear adhesive looking protectors and they both have same marks on them. I took car to dealer today and they were puzzled also, took some pics and will send off to GM to see their response.

My question is does everyone's car have these clear adhesive pads right behind both seats? I was thinking maybe these weren't supposed to be there but then maybe they are to supply extra protection etc from any scratches or marks from the top were it is on.

It seems like they could be easily heated up and removed with new ones applied but wanted to see if anyone has seen this or has these pieces on their car.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2014, 09:13 PM
2013 427
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 14vision
Don't know if this is correct thread for a post like this, but I figured here is where all the knowledge is being we all have the same car.

Just took delivery from Michigan of 60th anniversary edition white/blue with stripes. The 427 convertible was an easy choice when I sold my 2008 Z06 and couldn't be happier. My question is when I got the car delivered to south florida and put top down yesterday I notice behind both seats on the rounded cowls on the tonneau cover there were these green markings on both sides. I couldn't figure out why they were green and nothing under the bottom of the top itself has any green etc since it is a blue top. There are two clear adhesive looking protectors and they both have same marks on them. I took car to dealer today and they were puzzled also, took some pics and will send off to GM to see their response.

My question is does everyone's car have these clear adhesive pads right behind both seats? I was thinking maybe these weren't supposed to be there but then maybe they are to supply extra protection etc from any scratches or marks from the top were it is on.

It seems like they could be easily heated up and removed with new ones applied but wanted to see if anyone has seen this or has these pieces on their car.

Thanks
Yes, I have the same exact issue! In fact I was planning on bringing mine back to the dealer to see what they could do. I have the same strips just behind the seats that have e greenish marks. My guess is that they were put there to protect from scratching or marring the finish, and I'm assuming they can be replaced. But I'm wondering what's to keep them from becoming dis colored again? Please let me know what you find out and I will do the same.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:08 PM
14vision
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2013 427
Yes, I have the same exact issue! In fact I was planning on bringing mine back to the dealer to see what they could do. I have the same strips just behind the seats that have e greenish marks. My guess is that they were put there to protect from scratching or marring the finish, and I'm assuming they can be replaced. But I'm wondering what's to keep them from becoming dis colored again? Please let me know what you find out and I will do the same.
Ok I am not only one... I spoke to sales person at Michigan Chevy dealer I bought it at and he went and found one on the floor with the top down and he said it didn't have any of the clear adhesive stickers on it. Maybe he didn't get right on top of it to look, but I am thinking if that is the case maybe it's some shipping tape that should have been removed.

If not everyone one who has this has to have these stickers. We have to wait to more people hopefully add to this thread. Maybe my local Chevy dealer will call me tomorrow with an update also.

If you bring the top up slowly you can see there really isn't any thing there that looks like it can create marks like these.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2014, 10:14 PM
Yetiman
Advanced

I have the same strips on my 60th. They are clear not green.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Lerxst
Racer

Have the same marks. Many i've read do. Tried buffing the heck out of them and they will NOT come out.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thx
S -
Old 02-24-2014, 10:32 PM
14vision
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Top Marks

Looks to be a more common problem for a bunch of us. I will update as soon as I hear from my Chevy dealer.

My issue is not only is there green marks which can't be buffed out but there are indentations in there as well that left impressions on the strips.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2014, 10:32 PM
hhntr111
Burning Brakes

I haven't had the top down yet, too much snow...

Get notified of new replies

To 427 Convertible Registry, Color Poll, and Discussion

Old 02-24-2014, 11:20 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 731 Likes on 464 Posts

I had the exact same marks. They're from the cover that hits that area when the top is up. Solution is simple. I had mine taken care of immediately.
Took the car to the dealership to have clear bra installed and told them about the marks. Guy went and got some 3M compound (purple) and a rag. It took him a while and some good rubbing, but he got the marks completely off. Then I had him cut a small strip of the clear bra and put over those exact spots. I figured if it shows up again on the tape, I'd just replace the tape, but so far no marks have returned.
So that's the solution. They know about it at Chevy and GM and they'll tell you the same thing.
That's what it's from, and that's how to fix it.
The marks were a common problem on the early builds, the later builds got the tape on that area as a solution to the problem. Mine didn't have any tape till I put it on myself.
Just rub it off.

Last edited by USA1 427; 02-24-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:34 PM
14vision
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by USA1 427
I had the exact same marks. They're from the cover that hits that area when the top is up. Solution is simple. I had mine taken care of immediately.
Took the car to the dealership to have clear bra installed and told them about the marks. Guy went and got some 3M compound (purple) and a rag. It took him a while and some good rubbing, but he got the marks completely off. Then I had him cut a small strip of the clear bra and put over those exact spots. I figured if it shows up again on the tape, I'd just replace the tape, but so far no marks have returned.
So that's the solution. They know about it at Chevy and GM and they'll tell you the same thing.
That's what it's from, and that's how to fix it.
The marks were a common problem on the early builds, the later builds got the tape on that area as a solution to the problem. Mine didn't have any tape till I put it on myself.
Just rub it off.

Thanks. Did the car have the marks when you purchased it and what would have caused them? Why do you think the marks haven't come back as you stated? Do you raise and lower the top frequently or mainly keep it up?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2014, 11:38 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 731 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by 14vision
Thanks. Did the car have the marks when you purchased it and what would have caused them? Why do you think the marks haven't come back as you stated? Do you raise and lower the top frequently or mainly keep it up?

Thanks
Yep, marks were there when I got the car new in 2012. And I live in PA so the top is up a lot more than it's down. And that's when the marks will appear because it's from that cover.
Only reason I can think why the marks haven't shown up on the tape is the tape itself. The 3M compound had nothing to do with it other than removing the marks (and yeah, it takes some muscle and time).

Mine didn't come with tape on it, the marks were in the paint. Since yours already has tape on it, your only solution might be to just replace the tape. Probably a real easy, cheap fix.

Last edited by USA1 427; 02-24-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 427 Convertible Registry, Color Poll, and Discussion