C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My change of heart on run-flat tires vs. regular tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 02:33 PM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Question, guys; Can someone give an idea the danger in such a blowout at more like 75mph? I don't track. May be boring to most of you, but I really never get over 70mph. I used to fly airplanes and enjoy adrenaline. After a couple of near death experiences I keep myself safe, especially being a dad twice over since as well. I have little intention of buying run flats when the stock tires are gone. I would have said no intention until reading this, but I do listen. I don't drive with run flats on my other cars. Why should I drive with run flats on a corvette I'm not tracking? My chance of a tire explosion from road hazard is near nil. But if it happened, at 70mph max, how uncontrollable?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:38 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I am on my 4th set of run flats and will continue with them. They have plenty of performance for my kind of driving and it also gives me piece of mind to know the tire is strong. I was running a tire with a large nail in it for 500+ miles at typical interstate speeds, and that was after I noticed the nail was there. Who knows how long it was really there.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Ozer, Great post I agree with you 100%. The only problem being that if someone says the sun is orange there will always be some people come back and say oh no it is a dark yellow.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:34 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
Ozer, Great post I agree with you 100%. The only problem being that if someone says the sun is orange there will always be some people come back and say oh no it is a dark yellow.
Thank you, and to everyone has who has contributed! We'll have different opinions for sure; I just wanted to bring more awareness to the safety aspect of run-flats.

Regarding the claimed performance deficiency of run-flats: I think we should not confuse much-heavier, less optimal first generation run-flats with the modern ones. It should be noted that even the ZR1 that made the record run for a stock car at Laguna Seca driven recently by Randy Pobst for Motortrend was running on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires which are runflat.

The PS2s and MPSC tires that come with ZR1 and Z07/F55 cars are, indeed world class performers. Michelin actually claims to have used the components of the run-flat tire to increase the sidewall stiffness, tread consistency, and the overall performance of run-flat MPSC tires that come with Corvettes.

From Tirerack:
...The Pilot Sport Cup ZP benefits from several generations of Michelin run-flat technology, which is especially efficient in enhancing race-tire performance characteristics. Michelin has turned the technology that enables a tire to run for a limited period without air pressure into an asset on the racetrack...
Old 12-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I really like my Michelin PS2 ZPs and I'm stickin' with 'em...(pun intended !)
Old 12-26-2012, 04:28 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
I am on my 4th set of run flats and will continue with them. They have plenty of performance for my kind of driving and it also gives me piece of mind to know the tire is strong. I was running a tire with a large nail in it for 500+ miles at typical interstate speeds, and that was after I noticed the nail was there. Who knows how long it was really there.
Same thing happened to me on factory RF so I used Dynaplug for about 6 months. Now I am on my second set of tires at 47,000 miles which are not Good Year and are not runflats.

Last edited by LS WON; 12-26-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by B y r o n
Once you get the loss or air or flat you're right, 55 MPH is supposed to be the maximum speed. However, when the tire is designed it has to be able to handle the loss of air/flat at any speed the tire is rated for.
If you are running 155 and the tire blows it has to stay together until you get slowed down. The 55 mph limit is set because the tire is designed to give you a reasonable speed to travel for a distance 50 miles without damaging the tire. Running at zero pressure for any distance makes the tires very hot and the heat buildup is what destroys the tire. If you drive 80 for 50 miles the tire will probably be ruined due to excessive heat. If you drove 30 for 70 miles the tire might still be repairable. If you drive at 55 for 200 miles with stops to let it cool down the tire will get you where you need to go but won't be repairable.

On my car when I have had TPMS issues the car will seem to let me go any speed I want in a straight line but as soon as I start to turn the steering wheel it reacts by applying the front brakes to slow the car to 55 mph. That has surprised me and some drivers behind me when I pass them at 120+ exiting a wide increasing radius turn and my car suddenly slows to 55 mph in front of them. Makes things exciting.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 12-26-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 280 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by AORoads
I see what you are saying and I think I might add, "...when existing technololgy, if it had been used, could have saved his/her life." I do believe that is what you were implying.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:33 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After considering the matter at great length I have come to the conclusion that non-run flat tires in this day and age are solely for losers.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:44 PM
ZR1 136
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Regardless of the speed at which a RFT (EMT) lets go (which is an interesting data point nonetheless), I would consider keeping the speed down while I limped home/to service with a airless tire.

If I did not have run-flats, I would gladly destroy a wheel than to stop on the shoulder of a busy higway while idiots text, tailgate, drink and do drugs behind the wheel at high speeds, and have taught my family members to do the same.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:10 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I remember wayyyyyyyyy back in like 1973 running down route 4 in Paramus NJ in a 1964 Ford station wagon with a 289 auto (maybe a Galixie 500) going about 70 mph and blowing out the right front tire, it was all I could do to keep the car on the road and managed to get into Alexanders parking lot, very scary. Why do I mention this, who knows but since then I have had numerous tires let go on the highways of NJ. Done doughnuts on the highways many times and I am lucky that I haven't been hurt or hurt anyone else. So when we have these discussions and we will have them, if someone has a negative comment to make it would be nice to hear of some experience that goes along with the comments. I do not hear much of that what I hear is people quoting **** they read in magazines. Does that sound about right or am I asking too much?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:14 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
I remember wayyyyyyyyy back in like 1973 running down route 4 in Paramus NJ in a 1964 Ford station wagon with a 289 auto (maybe a Galixie 500) going about 70 mph and blowing out the right front tire, it was all I could do to keep the car on the road and managed to get into Alexanders parking lot, very scary. Why do I mention this, who knows but since then I have had numerous tires let go on the highways of NJ. Done doughnuts on the highways many times and I am lucky that I haven't been hurt or hurt anyone else. So when we have these discussions and we will have them, if someone has a negative comment to make it would be nice to hear of some experience that goes along with the comments. I do not hear much of that what I hear is people quoting **** they read in magazines. Does that sound about right or am I asking too much?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:21 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
We are taking about a very rare occurrence, regarding a blowout, on conventional tires. Especially on the street with lower tire temps.

Like I have stated before I have never had one in over 48 years of driving and another 35 years behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler.

Scare tactics for the glass half full thinking mentality.

But I will agree that each of us should be comfortable with our tire choice.
In the case of accidental death, it IS usually a very rare occurence. There is an entire legal cottage industry (and not a small one) dealing with tire blowout deaths and injuries.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
After considering the matter at great length I have come to the conclusion that non-run flat tires in this day and age are solely for losers.
Could you define losers?????
Old 12-26-2012, 09:54 PM
LSD 2005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-26-2012, 10:01 PM
twin-cam88
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CCIE
Question, guys; Can someone give an idea the danger in such a blowout at more like 75mph? I don't track. May be boring to most of you, but I really never get over 70mph. I used to fly airplanes and enjoy adrenaline. After a couple of near death experiences I keep myself safe, especially being a dad twice over since as well. I have little intention of buying run flats when the stock tires are gone. I would have said no intention until reading this, but I do listen. I don't drive with run flats on my other cars. Why should I drive with run flats on a corvette I'm not tracking? My chance of a tire explosion from road hazard is near nil. But if it happened, at 70mph max, how uncontrollable?
In 1981 I had a left front blowout at approx 80 mph in a Mazda RX-7. The tire virtually disintegrated and the car violently jerked to the left. I was in the right lane of the interstate highway prior to the blowout with no car in the left lane...which is where I ended up before I could even think OH S#!+...much less say it. Had that occured on a two-lane highway with oncoming traffic it would have been a hell of a mess. When I replace the tires on my vette, it will be with run flats.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:12 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
We are taking about a very rare occurrence, regarding a blowout, on conventional tires. Especially on the street with lower tire temps.

Like I have stated before I have never had one in over 48 years of driving and another 35 years behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler.

Scare tactics for the glass half full thinking mentality.

But I will agree that each of us should be comfortable with our tire choice.
You've never had a blow-out in 35 years driving an 18 wheeler? Do you work in the yard?

Get notified of new replies

To My change of heart on run-flat tires vs. regular tires

Old 12-26-2012, 10:16 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

I went at least two weeks with a 1/4 x 1 inch threaded bolt...Never lost any air. I would hear it at low speeds (tick tick) and I thought it was a rock stuck in between tire treads...
Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 PM
twin-cam88
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
You've never had a blow-out in 35 years driving an 18 wheeler? Do you work in the yard?
Now that's damn funny no matter who you are
Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 PM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by twin-cam88
In 1981 I had a left front blowout at approx 80 mph in a Mazda RX-7. The tire virtually disintegrated and the car violently jerked to the left. I was in the right lane of the interstate highway prior to the blowout with no car in the left lane...which is where I ended up before I could even think OH S#!+...much less say it. Had that occured on a two-lane highway with oncoming traffic it would have been a hell of a mess. When I replace the tires on my vette, it will be with run flats.
I read this and the first thing I do is shop run flats for my Cayenne TTS. It needs tires in a year or so. Pirelli makes one. We end up talking run flats because we have no spare tire, but if it's a safety issue, what's good for my vette is good for the cars my children ride in. It isn't that much more, but I have a feeling the Pirelli's will die in a third the time the Dunlops I'm wearing now. Seriously, if you're going to put run flats on a car you're not tracking for safety, logic is you should mount them on every wheel in your garage. Thing is these events really are exceptionally rare. Your event with your Mazda was over thirty years ago, on what year car? So how much better would a vehicle today handle something like this than a sports car from the 70's?

Quick Reply: My change of heart on run-flat tires vs. regular tires