C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dewitts radIator install...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 01:22 AM
corvette-sickness
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dewitts radIator install/need coolant system advice.

Z51 2005...

I took the stock radiator out... I get the basics...

Any tips or suggestions?

I thought it had the "click in" lines for the trans AND oil... But they are only on the trans side...

So... Using the old c-clamp housings for the driverside in and out...

Last edited by corvette-sickness; 01-20-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:58 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette-sickness
Z51 2005...
I thought it had the "click in" lines for the trans AND oil... But they are only on the trans side...
We supply the AN type fittings for the oil side for those who want to use steel braided line. If you are going to use the quick connection lines just take the old fittings out of the stock radiator. Screw them into our radiator and plug the lines in.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:22 PM
corvette-sickness
Instructor

Soo... Got the radiator installed today. (beautiful, sad to cover it!)

Few probs...

Well as soon as I started the car to burp the system, I realized I WAS VERY NEAR OUT OF GAS!!!

Soo.. The engine and resevoir were already filled up with coolant from where it had to sit the last few weeks... And we quickly kept adding coolent...

I really didn't want to run out of gas so I went next door (literally) to get gas. And bam, started getting hot...

So I shut it off, got gas and let it cool down... Started it up and filled it with coolant again.

Got back to the shop... Water dumping out of the water pump...

We think the water pump was already leaking a bit and starting to go...

But... Could I have just done worse than the pump?

Any suggestions?

Last edited by corvette-sickness; 01-20-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 PM
corvette-sickness
Instructor

In addition, I ask that you be easy on me...

I DO realize I probably ****ed up.

Bad.

Last edited by corvette-sickness; 01-19-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 AM
corvette-sickness
Instructor

Need some advice guys!

Did I potentially do more damage than the water pump?

What water pump should I get?

Beauller?

Beauller?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

When I installed my Dewitts, it overheated also because of all the air in the system. I had a couple of leaks. The Pet **** leaked, and I wrapped it with teflon plumbers tape and that sealed it. I also had reinstalled one of the hose clamps crooked slightly so it leaked there too.

I watched it carefully and did not let it go much over 230 and shut it down and let it sit until it stopped sucking in fresh fluid from the reservoir. I also tried putting it at various angles to see if that helped. But in the end I just waited for it to blurp out the air in the system and stopped sucking in fresh fluid from the reservoir. It took several cycles before it stopped overheating - took it about an hour to settle down. I did not drive it until it no longer overheated and it stopped sucking in new fluid. Not sure if there is a better procedure for burping.

My pump did not leak though.

Last edited by Flame Red; 01-20-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:38 PM
corvette-sickness
Instructor

Cool.

I feel a bit better about it just being the pump...

Now I have to ask...

I HAD to put some tap water to find the leak.... It will be all drained tomorrow...

I know it's bad to put tap water in it... But it will be ok for a few days... Right?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:52 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I am certainly not expert on cooling systems, (and this is a "ttt" for you) but I do believe a couple days of tap water will not hurt anything. There are many who still use ONLY tap water altho many have changed to distilled only. Do handle the coolant you drain carefully (not assuming you wouldn't) because it is not good for groundwater if it drains out into the ground.

Others will comment on damage if any, and type/brand of water pump to get.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:59 PM
corvette-sickness
Instructor

Originally Posted by AORoads
I am certainly not expert on cooling systems, (and this is a "ttt" for you) but I do believe a couple days of tap water will not hurt anything. There are many who still use ONLY tap water altho many have changed to distilled only. Do handle the coolant you drain carefully (not assuming you wouldn't) because it is not good for groundwater if it drains out into the ground.

Others will comment on damage if any, and type/brand of water pump to get.
Thanks brother, and yes rest at ease, it is in a shop, and all fluids/oil etc are disposed of properly!

I want to one day duel turbo or supercharge... So trying to decide on just replacing stock or goin for a lighter more heavy duty pump...
Old 01-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Flame Red
When I installed my Dewitts, it overheated also because of all the air in the system. I had a couple of leaks. The Pet **** leaked, and I wrapped it with teflon plumbers tape and that sealed it. I also had reinstalled one of the hose clamps crooked slightly so it leaked there too.

I watched it carefully and did not let it go much over 230 and shut it down and let it sit until it stopped sucking in fresh fluid from the reservoir. I also tried putting it at various angles to see if that helped. But in the end I just waited for it to blurp out the air in the system and stopped sucking in fresh fluid from the reservoir. It took several cycles before it stopped overheating - took it about an hour to settle down. I did not drive it until it no longer overheated and it stopped sucking in new fluid. Not sure if there is a better procedure for burping.

My pump did not leak though.
IIRC, Service Manual says to slowly fill the surge tank until coolant gets to the bottom of the neck and stays there. Start engine, and idle for 4 minutes and add coolant as necessary, run at about 2000-2500 rpm for a couple of minutes and add coolant as necessary while running. Let idle, shut down and add 1 qt.

We did that twice on our stock 2009, no problems at all. I wonder what's different about other radiators?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 PM
corvette-sickness
Instructor

Maybe because the 05 and 06 z-51 have BOTH trans and oil coolers as well... After 06 they were different...

Get notified of new replies

To Dewitts radIator install...

Quick Reply: Dewitts radIator install...