C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 ZR1 Carbon Fiber spoiler installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:22 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default C7 ZR1 Carbon Fiber spoiler installed

Just got this spoiler installed. Purchased through American Hydrocarbon for my base C6 a couple of weeks ago.

I would say the overall quality is pretty high. Finish is very nice. Fit is close to perfect. A little bit of finagling to get both sides of the unit to sit properly in the pocket in the rear bumper. Also still trying to get the third brake light sitting just right. These are minor issues considering this is the third unit of this type (from three different manufacturers/vendors) that I've purchased. The first two were returned. The finish also matches my Hydrocarbon Door pulls pretty close. (close enough for me!!).

It takes a little bit of guts to drill those extra holes in your rear bumper. The manufacturer says the unit can be installed with the two threaded studs that pass through the (existing) factory holes and 3M double sided auto tape, but they provide two 'optional' studs on each side of the unit. After playing with the test fit, I decided there was no way I would rely on 3M double sided tape to hold down the ends of this unit. There was some force required to make the unit 'fit' down onto the bumper.

I ended up carefully marking the holes by taping the areas on the bumper for the outer bolts, putting a dab of paint on the center of each bolt head, and test fitting the unit. Some careful verifications with the measuring tape and I went for it. I then test fit the unit again and checked the alignment of the holes with a small drill bit. I then enlarged the holes and 'leaned' into the direction I needed to correct on one side. Be careful, as the bumper material cuts very easily with a sharp drill bit (like butter).

The most difficult part for me was getting the third brake light sitting properly into the opening in the Spoiler which is, BTW, much more sturdy than some the other units I had purchased. There is actually more than 1/8" of material below the brake light and it doesn't look like it will break off easily. See the 2nd photo.

A little more futzing with the final outer holes and it was in. I'm still not satisfied with the center brake light and it's alignment, so I'm sure I'll have it off again. There is also a small gap between the bottom of the spoiler and the bumper in the center of the unit. It's only visible when I look from the drivers door back at the spoiler. I can't see it when I look from the rear back towards the bumper and spoiler.

Anyway, I like this unit and I'll probably buy more stuff from C7 carbon. I called them yesterday and spoke with Ryan about some installation advice. Actually got somebody on the phone right away!.

Considering the price (compared to some competing vendors) the quality on the finish is a 10. I'd give the fitment (so far) an 8, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to work through the remaining issues. Here's some photos (from my phone... sorry). I'll get some better ones when I get my new wheels installed.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:52 PM
k wright
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It looks great. Is it carbon or hydrocarbon?

Great classic color for the car.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:03 AM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

This is a real CF overlay on Fiberglass substrate (I believe). It's a real CF outer layer either way... not Hydro.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:37 AM
GentlemanVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes sir looks good. But I'm a little partial to MR. can't wait to see the new wheels.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:42 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

Looks good.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Johnson 92
Safety Car

Received 334 Likes on 90 Posts
C5 of the Month 6/13

Originally Posted by dvilin
Looks good.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:02 AM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys. I'm working through the final fitment issues with C7 now. Let's see how responsive they are.. so far, so good. Phone answered with pre-install question, and email left on site replied to over the weekend... Those are both good signs IMO... I know I'm taking it off again, but I want to have a plan before I do..
Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 PM
American Hydrocarbon

Thanks for posting up the pics.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by franman69
Thanks guys. I'm working through the final fitment issues with C7 now. Let's see how responsive they are.. so far, so good. Phone answered with pre-install question, and email left on site replied to over the weekend... Those are both good signs IMO... I know I'm taking it off again, but I want to have a plan before I do..
I have this same spoiler I believe? I think they should of had bolts on the outer edges to help suck it down.
I do agree, this is also not my first one and this one has the best fit around the third brake light. (except for my original ZR1 spoiler)
Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Keep 'Em Flying
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:11 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by American Hydrocarbon
Thanks for posting up the pics.
Let me know if you need anything else.
well.. I kinda need to work out this fitment issue on the front facing edge at the center. So far all they've suggested at C7 is to tighten the screws in the center area.. they are about as tight as I'm comfortable making them (wrench tight)...

I need to take it off and play with the brake light. I'll take another stab at the center fitment, but it doesn't look like it wants to sit all the way down when the outer edges are snugged down..?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:12 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Racer
I have this same spoiler I believe? I think they should of had bolts on the outer edges to help suck it down.
I do agree, this is also not my first one and this one has the best fit around the third brake light. (except for my original ZR1 spoiler)
Mine does have bolts on the outer ends.. One of each side about half way down the extended wing of the spoiler. The outer edges are fitting very nice. Its the middle that I can't get to sit down all the way... hmmm.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Mine does have bolts on the outer ends.. One of each side about half way down the extended wing of the spoiler. The outer edges are fitting very nice. Its the middle that I can't get to sit down all the way... hmmm.
Sorry, do you have bolts at the very ends or about halfway to the end?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:29 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Because of the way the slight valleys on each side of the hatch angles back, if you try to get the spoiler to lay to far back (to get it flush with the bumper), the spoiler might not quite match the body's profile.

You might try making the holes (where the bolts go) slightly larger to give the spoiler a little play so that you can position it (possibly moving it towards that front of the car slightly) so that it can better match up with those inner valleys.

Just a suggestion.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:35 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Racer
Sorry, do you have bolts at the very ends or about halfway to the end?
half way towards the end... four bolts total.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:37 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Because of the way the slight valleys on each side of the hatch angles back, if you try to get the spoiler to lay to far back (to get it flush with the bumper), the spoiler might not quite match the body's profile.

You might try making the holes (where the bolts go) slightly larger to give the spoiler a little play so that you can position it (possibly moving it towards that front of the car slightly) so that it can better match up with those inner valleys.

Just a suggestion.
Yeah, playing with the center holes a little is what I was thinking as well. I've got to get the brake lights sitting correct first. (Its flopping around a bit now). I'm trying to get a straight answer from C7 about whether the light is supposed to be bolted on before the spoiler is installed. (I think it is)...

The center holes were already a bit 'widened' when I took off my stock spoiler.. I can't make them much bigger or the washers on the bolts will slip through... gotta be careful here. Thanks for the suggestion!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

half way towards the end... four bolts total.
Yes, I wish they had bolts on the ends, as that where mine sits up a bit. If they would of just put the same bolts as the factory ZR1 spoiler, it would be great. The one I bought from RPI had all the proper bolts, but the piece below the third brake light was warped, too thin, stretched and a real disaster . Josh agreed and refunded my money. This one is much better, just doesn't fit perfectly. And for mine, playing with the size of the holes is not the issue as there are no bolts to put into my holes.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 ZR1 Carbon Fiber spoiler installed

Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Yeah, playing with the center holes a little is what I was thinking as well. I've got to get the brake lights sitting correct first. (Its flopping around a bit now). I'm trying to get a straight answer from C7 about whether the light is supposed to be bolted on before the spoiler is installed. (I think it is)...

The center holes were already a bit 'widened' when I took off my stock spoiler.. I can't make them much bigger or the washers on the bolts will slip through... gotta be careful here. Thanks for the suggestion!!!
Bigger washers.

Yes, I have done 3 different styles of spoilers on my car and the brake light is always screwed down before the spoiler is installed.

Although I am not familiar with the structure of the C7 spoiler, I would think that would be the case with it as well.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I had to use larger washers.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:16 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnson 92
Looks really good

Quick Reply: C7 ZR1 Carbon Fiber spoiler installed