C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

waterless carwash

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 07:57 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rockygirl
Actually a detailer at last year's Hot August Nights in Reno recommended the Adams waterless routine. Try it and you will understand.
There are about a zillion people who call themselves "detailers"....but much...much less.... actually know what the heck is really going on.....and no I am not one of them, but I do have pro go over mine a couple times a year...(cause I am way to lazy)....but if I lived near wolfdogs....different story. I also agree that the video guy is pressing way to hard, and going over and over with an obviously dirty Microfiber cloth....Looks to me like he is just asking for scratching and swirls...just my humble opinion
Old 02-22-2013, 09:15 PM
carguy1965
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Adams Waterless wash countless times with no ill effects..
On a car that was spotless, and then drives to the show on a nice day, After using the duster etc.. Think of it as heavy duty detail spray.. You cannot clean a truly dirty car that needs to be washed with waterless wash,, Its as simple as that.. You will damage the paint no doubt about it.. You damage the paint giving the car a real bath, but far far less..

Its not made to clean a truly dirty car,, so dont do it !!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:50 PM
J.J.D.O.
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I use optimum no rinse with no swirling effects... have for many years. I revert to soap and water when the car is really dirty.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:50 PM
CorvetteSparky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

There are many occasions when a waterless car wash is the way to go. When it's too cold or rainy to wash, or when there's no shade. My dad lives in Phoenix and there's no shade on his driveway after about 9 A.M. You can't wash a car in the sun there or you will have a white car after you're done due to the water spots. I can't wash a car at my house until at least 3 in the afternoon due to lack of shade. There's also places that ration water during droughts. It's illegal to wash your car or water the lawn. These products work great in that circumstance except then when you're driving a clean car and no one else is they think you violated the ordinance. You can also wash your car at night in the garage when it's too dark outside so you're ready for that show the next morning.

I have used Griot's spray on car wash on my dark colored daily driver for years with no ill effects. You can wash the dirtiest of cars with as shown via videos on their website. It is imperative that you use a thick microfiber cloth for the process to hold the dirt away from the paint. Turn the cloth often and you'll be fine. I doubt however that many Corvettes get as dirty as my daily driver does in the Northwest. At this point I don't envision using the Spray On Car Wash on my corvette since it's a fair-weather car but there's always the possibility of it being used on the back since it gets so dirty even on nice days.

One down side to using the waterless car wash is that there isn't a waterless product to clean the tires at the same time. I could probably use the same product on the tires but I don't want to use a nice microfiber towel on them.

Check out Griot's products here: http://www.griotsgarage.com
Old 02-23-2013, 02:26 PM
CyberGrayGS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ultima Waterless Wash - http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-water...ncentrate.html
Old 02-23-2013, 02:37 PM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 302 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriotZ
I am betting that the detail people won't think this is a good idea....at least on black....
I use Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax and it works great on my black SUV. However, there is a method of applying it and taking it off. The guy in the video is running the risk of creating light swirl marks on the finish.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:40 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Its been proven time and again, that they work and are designed to minimize any potential marring. Consider Optimum No Rinse or Ultima as the best in breed currently.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:24 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

minimize, not eliminate potential marring? No thanks! I'd never use it even if my car wasn't "really dirty". At what point is a car "really dirty"?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Ozzy12
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have it and used it on a black car for the first time yesterday. Apply it liberally and it will actually suds up a bit, take a soft cloth and just wipe it up and it will remove all the dust and dirt. Come behind that with detail spray to actually get the finished appearance (ie no streaks, etc). I've used it since Christmas on my JSB Vette and had great success. I use a light dusting on the back end to get the actual dust off, and use this primarily to get the grime off behind the wheels from when you run through a puddle or something, or where tire shine gets thrown up.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTEVEGS
minimize, not eliminate potential marring?
Thats like offering that I can stop all wifes from shopping permanently, not likely ! The products are designed to immediately remove dirt at the source thru emulsifiers and offer alot more lubrication than traditional car wash. Unfortunately until a product can force someone to follow its directions exactly and without modification it won't make a blanket statement of protection. They were designed for areas with high water restrictions and consistently have gotten better.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-wash-wax.html

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 02-24-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:54 AM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

have used these products with good results....nice to polish the dust off, just turn the cloth often...quick and easy, and according to a trusted detail pro; no damage to a properly protected/waxed car.....

but using it on a really dirty car is just dumb.....
Old 02-24-2013, 01:03 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Griot's spray car wash works well. I often use it, as the car usually does not get dirty, just dusty..... Follow with their great spray wax.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:35 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,030 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by C6RaceCar
Just wash the damn car. Whats the problem?
Thank-you. Plus it's great exercise.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:22 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwagnerhvac
Can this waterless carwash detailing work without swirling the crap out of the paint??
You are certain to create some spider webbing in the clear coat. The thing about using a car wash soap and rinse water is that the soap breaks down the dirt and grime and provides lubrication while the low pressure water flow from the hose rinses it away without grinding the dirt particles into the clear coat.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:45 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by calemasters
You are certain to create some spider webbing in the clear coat. The thing about using a car wash soap and rinse water is that the soap breaks down the dirt and grime and provides lubrication while the low pressure water flow from the hose rinses it away without grinding the dirt particles into the clear coat.
This is what a good waterless car wash product supposedly does also. Emphasise on the dirt break down and lubricant. I've seen and talked with show quality Hot Rod car owners who rave about this type of cleaning practice. They love the fact of not having to tend to removing the water spots off their chromed out exposed engines constantly.

Last edited by QUAKEJAKE; 02-24-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:51 PM
ButchN
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwagnerhvac
Can this waterless carwash detailing work without swirling the crap out of the paint??
You means scratching as swirling is when you go round & round with whatever. Mr. Miyagi, "wax on, wax off"!

A proper way to apply waterless wash, wax, sealer, etc., is it to go in back & forth straight lines.

BTW, I use Adams waterless wash on my black car & go over it with detail spray after. I use it for after road trips to remove bugs, etc from the trip. If my cars were to get that dirty, it's real wash time.

I think the guy in the video is using the super dirty SUV as an example on how a waterless wash works.

BTW, I get no scratches.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:57 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteSparky
There are many occasions when a waterless car wash is the way to go. When it's too cold or rainy to wash, or when there's no shade. My dad lives in Phoenix and there's no shade on his driveway after about 9 A.M. You can't wash a car in the sun there or you will have a white car after you're done due to the water spots. I can't wash a car at my house until at least 3 in the afternoon due to lack of shade. There's also places that ration water during droughts. It's illegal to wash your car or water the lawn. These products work great in that circumstance except then when you're driving a clean car and no one else is they think you violated the ordinance. You can also wash your car at night in the garage when it's too dark outside so you're ready for that show the next morning.

I have used Griot's spray on car wash on my dark colored daily driver for years with no ill effects. You can wash the dirtiest of cars with as shown via videos on their website. It is imperative that you use a thick microfiber cloth for the process to hold the dirt away from the paint. Turn the cloth often and you'll be fine. I doubt however that many Corvettes get as dirty as my daily driver does in the Northwest. At this point I don't envision using the Spray On Car Wash on my corvette since it's a fair-weather car but there's always the possibility of it being used on the back since it gets so dirty even on nice days.

One down side to using the waterless car wash is that there isn't a waterless product to clean the tires at the same time. I could probably use the same product on the tires but I don't want to use a nice microfiber towel on them.

Check out Griot's products here: http://www.griotsgarage.com
I use their microfiber shop towels on them.

Get notified of new replies

To waterless carwash

Old 02-24-2013, 05:16 PM
FastVette85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I detail professionally for a living, and while I use Final Inspection to remove dust and bugs on my car, I would never use a waterless wash on a vehicle that was as dirty as the one shown in the video. If you do that often (especially on black paint) you will certainly see marring/ surface scratching over time. Not worth it on expensive vehicles, in my opinion.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:26 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FastVette85
I detail professionally for a living, and while I use Final Inspection to remove dust and bugs on my car, I would never use a waterless wash on a vehicle that was as dirty as the one shown in the video. If you do that often (especially on black paint) you will certainly see marring/ surface scratching over time. Not worth it on expensive vehicles, in my opinion.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Tony 327
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Found this thread interesting as I took my car out to its storage location, but did not cover it because the car was not clean and I did not want the cover to grind dirt into the finish. My friend's shop, where I am storing the car, is heated, but it is not practical to wash the car there. Plus, he is building an airplane in there and I don't want to make even a small mess. I checked at the local Advance Auto parts and they carry Meguiars waterless wash product. I decided to give it a try.

The car was just a little dusty from a 40 minute ride out to the shop. The rear end was the dirtiest part of the car and there was light dirt flung up on the sides at the rear of the wheel wells on the plastic protectors, very little on the actual paint. The car was dirtier than I would ever consider using just a spray detailer alone.

I used a generous amount of the product and let the dirtiest areas soak. I turned and changed microfiber towels frequently. Afterward, I went over the car with Meguiars NXT spray detailer and the car looked like I spent all day on it. It took me just over an hour. If the car were any dirtier, or if it was warm enough and water was available I would prefer a traditional soap and water wash. In a pinch, under the right circumstances, this product got done what I needed.

I took a crappy cellphone pic that doesn't do anything to help my post, but here it is.

2007 LeMans Blue. BTW, if I ever can get one, a drive on lift is great for many things, but cleaning and detailing was a breeze, especially on such a low car.

Quick Reply: waterless carwash