C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carfax Bad Rap

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM
johns 2009
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carfax Bad Rap

After putting the Vette to bed for the winter, I went to AZ for Nov. thru Apr. There I use a Chevy pickup. Shortly after I purchased the pickup a lady scratched the corner of the pickup rear bumper while turning to short in the parking lot. The only damage was a 3 inch scrape on the corner. I had her ins replace it since the pickup was new. Well I went to trade it off and it was spotless, been in the rain once and had 20,000 miles on it. All the dealers docked me $1500.00 because of the accident report on Carfax. Also when the new buyer sees the accident on Carfax, they will be a little leary of purchasing it. The Dealer sold it instantly but it still makes me mad Carfax listed it being in a accident and did not specify what was repaired. The dealer just put a new bumper on and did not report it, but her ins must have logged it in to Carfax. So beware of Carfax on small repairs.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:56 AM
P0234
Pro

That's why its best to document the damage prior to it being fixed. You can provide the documentation to perspective buyer. Otherwise how else do they know you aren't making up a story?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 PM
heli-vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last 3 cars I bought before the Vette had clean Carfax . All the three has some body repairs ... to small frame cracks . All found later as the paint faded differently and undercoat was redone . So at times its worth the paper its printed on .
Old 02-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,959 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by heli-vette
The last 3 cars I bought before the Vette had clean Carfax . All the three has some body repairs ... to small frame cracks . All found later as the paint faded differently and undercoat was redone . So at times its worth the paper its printed on .
Or it wasn't since it didn't report anything in your case. Corvette body panel issues aren't all that serious since they are plastic and not part of the car structure but frame cracks are something else as they imply serious damage to the vehicle that wasn't repaired correctly.

Bill
Old 02-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Carfax has ruined so many good cars with their bogus reports. You can get information removed.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:41 PM
DopeyDude
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default You can't trust Carfax!

On vacation I had a rental car damaged while parked in a parking lot. I used my insurance to cover the claim for the rental company (i never buy theirs). Well, 2 years later, Carfax showed the damage was repaired on my personal vehicle that i traded in for my 09 Coupe.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Obviously it's not foolproof; sometimes it's accurate, sometimes it's not. It does help in some instances, more for the buyer than seller.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:18 PM
cwing85b
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Several years ago we were rear ended in my Wifes Buick. It was almost totaled. Shortly after the repairs we sold the car. After hearing horror stories about Carfax here and on other forums, I ran a report on the Buick. It was repaired four years ago by a large Buick dealership that I would assume is a Car fax member as they offer car fax on the used cars they sell. Anyway, the incident report on the car came back clean. This might be an isolated incident but I read these things all the time. I will never trust carfax and will never pay for a report again period.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:27 PM
heli-vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time I buy a car , I will have some bodyshop guys look at it . They can see the difference in paint / orange peel and fit / repairs . It would be worth $100 for a pre buy .
No more online reports .
Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 AM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I am on a voluntary mileage program with insurance company. Recently noticed everytime I get an oil change the dealer reports it along with the current mileage to carfax or the insurance company ( not sure which, but it shows up with the insurance company, State Farm). Hell I've only got 137,000 miles on the C6. Don't think I'm trying to hide anything.
Supposedly if drive less than 19,000 miles per year we get discount. This is for each car...we own 4. Shouldn't be a problem to get this discount.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:21 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Carfax, Autocheck, etc., are just ONE of the many tools you should use when buying a used car. And you should know their limitations. The only instance you can be absolutely sure would appear on Carfax is accidents with a police report. I had an over $10K claim due to catching black ice, and Carfax was clean due to no police report. Neither Geico nor body shop reported it either. I was one of the very few guys who voluntarily disclosed the accident since I don't do to others what I don't want done to me. But any time you buy a used car, you should have it thoroughly checked by a professional. And leave Carfax and such for title issues, making sure it wasn't a lease (if you care about that), how many previous owners, etc.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM
johns 2009
Intermediate

Default Carfax Bad Rap

When I went to trade the pickup in, I took along the dealer bill showing that just the bumper was replaced. They were thankful I showed them what was replaced, but said the Carfax was what the customer looked at. I e-mailed Carfax and complained and they said they would send me a correction form which I never received. They then sent me a rating form and you can only guesss what my response was to them.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:11 AM
P0234
Pro

Originally Posted by johns 2009
When I went to trade the pickup in, I took along the dealer bill showing that just the bumper was replaced. They were thankful I showed them what was replaced, but said the Carfax was what the customer looked at. I e-mailed Carfax and complained and they said they would send me a correction form which I never received. They then sent me a rating form and you can only guesss what my response was to them.
Do you think they might have had a vested interest in exaggerating the diminished value?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johns 2009
...but said the Carfax was what the customer looked at.
That's the reality of the age of CarFax and AutoCheck. It doesn't matter if you or I think these reports are a load of crap or not. A lot of uneducated buyers think it's the bible, and as a result your ability to sell or trade a car with a ding on a CarFax report is hampered. If you are buying a car, you have to know a vehicle's history report because it WILL matter to most people when it comes time to sell that car.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:58 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by P0234
Do you think they might have had a vested interest in exaggerating the diminished value?

Do ya think - HELLO
Old 02-28-2013, 02:15 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

CarFax and similar are, imho, just a tool and as prone to be accurate as inaccurate.

What CarFax has done to their credit, is mount a largely funded advertising campaign selling the buying public on their reporting and the necessity for a potential buyer to obtain a CarFax - must often through the selling dealer. It is easy to miss that they are not selling the accuracy of their information, rather their focus is on a buyer being potentially duped into a wrong purchase without the benefit of a CarFax. Very, very clever advertising. Buyers believe what a CarFax says - Dealers therefor have to provide them - and Dealers use them to their advantage both to close sales and to low ball trades, all depending on that little ole CarFax report.

What I do like about CarFax and similar, are the records of the car's life - in service date, private or business ownership, recalls, number of owners, service records, etc, etc - information that would be very difficult if not impossible to obtain otherwise. Even knowing the full possibility or incorrect info, I would not buy a pre-owned vehicle without one, for 2 reasons. I want to know as much as I can up front - and when I go to sell or trade I don't what the info I didn't check out on CarFax to come back to haunt me then.

In essence, CarFax and similar have become a highly desired , thoroughly flawed, marketing programs. Free enterprise in action.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,468 Likes on 790 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

CARFAX is only as good as what gets entered. My old 1989 C4 will show no trace of ever being in AZ yet it spent 1989 to 1998 in the Phoenix area. CARFAX shows purchased new in Illinois (1989), registered in Alaska (1998), registered in Florida (2000). I bought it used in 1990 in Scottsdale, AZ and sold it in Florida in 2002.

Get notified of new replies

To Carfax Bad Rap

Old 02-28-2013, 06:08 PM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Their should be some sort of rating system to show the severity of the damage done to any vehichle carfax reports on some system where you can tell from a minor fender bender to a major hit which also may have had frame damage cant believe they get away with charging a fee for giving such vague info on damages, even if they reported the cost of the repair that would give you an idea of how bad the accident was.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Ike Witt
Advanced

Default Diminished Value

I had a similar experience with a fender bender a few years ago.
I ended up going after the other guys insurance for repairs and cash due to the fact that the accident would diminish the value of my car. Just had to play hardball with them and not settle...guess the got tired of me..but...cut me a check for 1500. Diminished value settlements are available...only no insurance company will tell you that up front..

Ike
Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 AM
P0234
Pro

Originally Posted by Ike Witt
I had a similar experience with a fender bender a few years ago.
I ended up going after the other guys insurance for repairs and cash due to the fact that the accident would diminish the value of my car. Just had to play hardball with them and not settle...guess the got tired of me..but...cut me a check for 1500. Diminished value settlements are available...only no insurance company will tell you that up front..

Ike
Good point about going after the insurance companies for diminished value. DV is also a great tool when the repairs get very close to the point of being totalled. Some twit rammed one of my cars so hard that it was very close to being totalled. A reminder to her insurance company that I was going to be going for DV if they did repair it was all they needed to go ahead and total it.

Quick Reply: Carfax Bad Rap