C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Default Tire Road Noise

Read a lot of posts on tires noise but not any on the potential affects of outside temperature on the noise.....Got a 13 GS in November and have put around 2K miles on it. Ran about 250 miles this weekend and really was annoyed with the tire road noise especially running on concrete interstates, blacktop is fine, certain concrete.....ugly. Had a C5 with non run flats and never remember this much noise with it even with the run flats. Granted the GS tires are wider........but.....

How much difference does a non runflat tire make ? I might be motivated to make that switch ASAP if ti makes that big a difference.

It was around 50 60 degrees......realizing the stock tires are summer tires will it be better in warmer weather? Frankly I've driven it gingerly in 2 degree weather and it did not seem as loud as it was this weekend.

Only plan on keeping it 2 years then hopefully a C7, so not too interested in putting in any sound deading product.

Would hope someday to drive a Corvette cross country. That will never happen in this car........ I'd be more deaf then I am now having to turn up the radio to drown out the tire noise.

Last edited by Greg00Coupe; 03-11-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:03 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

i switched to NON run flats on my 2011 GS. it made a HUGE difference, its not only much quieter but smoother ride too.

for example, here in Oklahoma, we have pretty bad roads, not only bumps but road surface that isnt smooth.
the GS was so bad with run flats, that speaking to onstar phone , saying numbers to dial, it couldnt make out my voice correctly! thats bad!

anyway, i switched and was very pleased. get a ride with tsomeone that has non run-flats and you can tell the difference
Old 03-11-2013, 01:04 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I think that's common with Goodyear tires. I put Michelin run flats on mine and the tire noise was decreased a lot.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for what its worth I had great deal of road noise from my C6 and I changed tires. The noise was less but it seemed to still be there and after about a month I bought a new set of tires the Nitto Invo because I heard they are very quiet. To my suprise the noise was about the same. I took it to the shop for something unrelated and the tech told me I had two bad wheel bearings on the pass side. They changed them out and the car is almost dead quiet now. Wheel bearings is something to look at!!! Mine went bad with less than 8000 miles on the odo.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:40 PM
festone
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the GY RF's expired at around 10k miles I switched to Michelin SS's hoping that the road noise would decrease dramatically. It went down some but certainly not as much as I had hoped for. I suspect that a lot of the noise is due to the size of the GS tires and that tires from different manufacturers really don't make that big a difference. However - the non-RF ride is much better, and tracking along rutted concrete freeways is not as scary.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:42 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I think that's common with Goodyear tires. I put Michelin run flats on mine and the tire noise was decreased a lot.

It is the goodyear tires that are so noisy. I have goodyear original tires on my convert and they are noisy and even worse when the temps drop. I had Michelin AS ZP runflats on my last convert and they were much much quieter at all temps and the traction in the wet was so much better there was no comparison.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:44 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Ditto Not to mention a better all around performance from the Michelins
Old 03-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

There is a consistent complaint on the GY tires being noisy.
But I notice it's mostly with the softer compound Summer only tires.
I ran the OEM GY tires on my 09 Coupe before mounting another set of wheels with Mich A/S tires.
Granted, it's not a GS and my OEM GY's were the GS-2 tires (base) with harder compound.

They were noisy but... IMO, a lot had to do with the Road Surface.

The OEM GY varied in noise level depending on the road surface, and were Dead Quiet on newly surfaced roads.
When I put the Michelins on, IMO were only Slightly quieter and unlike the OEM GY's, actually have a bit of a singing noise on newly surfaced roads.

Both brands are Quieter overall though, with outside temperature 70 degrees or more.

To me it's hard to know which tires are going to be quieter and under what conditions they'll make any difference.
I don't believe , considering how low these cars sit to the ground combined with no real OEM noise insulation that tires alone solve/help road noise.
I Personally noticed improvements when I put in the TKO Block-It mats and a Partition with compartments for storage.

Still noisy though, just not as bad
Just my thoughts for what it's worth
Old 03-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Keep eye on the inside fronts for cupping that is where all my noise was coming from even though I could not tell while driving. Just loud roaring noise all the time. 2k seems a little quick, unless the alignment is really off, for your noise to start! This is a C6 problem. C5 was rear tire wear from my experience, what ever that's worth!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:07 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

goodyear tires are loud. thet also say not to move the car if below 40 degrees because the tread can be damaged at that temp.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

I swapped out the GY Supercars for Nitto Invo's couple of years back. Much less road noise, smoother ride & no loss of grip. They're non-RF but I carry a plug kit & small 12v compressor which thankfully have never had to use.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Originally Posted by truckplay
goodyear tires are loud. thet also say not to move the car if below 40 degrees because the tread can be damaged at that temp.
I'm away from the car but is this in the owners manual? I mean I see GM testing these cars in Alaska.... I assume with stock tires..... If I knew a $62K car could not be driven below 40 degrees I would have not bought it. And if not below 40 then what about 110?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When we bought our new 2009 with the Z51 Supercar tires, we had an identical 2006 with half-worn Supercars. The worn Supercars were significantly noisier on any pavement, especially concrete. We also had a set of almost new Goodyear A/S runflats (same tread as base tire but different rubber compound for cold temps), they seemed to sound about like the Supercars.

We eventually installed michelin runflats, PS2 for summer and A/S+ for winter. Both are quieter than their Goodyear counterparts. And excellent tires in other aspects, too.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:15 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think outside temperature plays a significant role by stiffening tires, bushings and body mounts. Replacing my GS-2 tires with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP (run flats) helped reduce road noise, and I'm sure non-run-flats would reduce it more, but I'm not about to give up the added security and safety of run-flats. I also have installed double layered heat insulation and vibration dampening material over passenger and cargo compartment floors and in under-floor storage compartments; Block-It cargo floor and passenger bulkhead pads, a cargo area mat, a carpeted storage bin, a carpeted cargo storage area divider; Sound-Tec heat and sound insulation between dual cargo shades, inside the rear cargo net, and in the passenger floor. And guess what? I still have road noise. Much diminished to be sure, but it's still there when driving on rough road surfaces.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:20 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I can't even hear my Michelin Super Sports, non runflats. It improved my 11 GS Vert in every category. At around 3k miles my tires barely look used. I think they are still around 8 or 9 32ds all the way around. They are also not scared of the cold or wet weather. Even the Mich A/S ZPs on my 08 didn't like real cold temps that much (below 20). The Super Sports honestly don't care about the temp.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:11 PM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

If your looking to knock down the noise (Appox 10 db) in about 60 seconds, try the BLOCKIT.

Thousands sold. On sale now.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...stem-sale.html

Last edited by TKO Performance; 03-11-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I can't even hear my Michelin Super Sports, non runflats. It improved my 11 GS Vert in every category. At around 3k miles my tires barely look used. I think they are still around 8 or 9 32ds all the way around. They are also not scared of the cold or wet weather. Even the Mich A/S ZPs on my 08 didn't like real cold temps that much (below 20). The Super Sports honestly don't care about the temp.
Thanks that is exactly what I needed. Your coming from where I am at.... I drive the car everyday except when the snow is coming down. Splitter in NOT a snow plow.......
Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 PM
lovmy90vette
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tire Dudes, I have a 90 vette that need some new tires. The originals are still on this car. I was considering the Michelin Sport PS2's. Any recommendations?? I understand these tires are quiet. This vette only sees nice weather in Michigan.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:05 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

I'd try the C4 section.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Road Noise

Quick Reply: Tire Road Noise