C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have an unlimited CARFAX account?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:36 AM
idaband
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDIT anyone have know of CARFAX coupons ?

EDIT:

I was looking to find a way to do a discount "carfax" check.

Is there coupons or a better way to run a history report?

Last edited by idaband; 03-22-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:38 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

against forum rules, why dont you just pay for it?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 AM
idaband
Racer

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
against forum rules, why dont you just pay for it?
I was hunting for the rules about this. I had other forums offer before...but i left some other ones and didn't want to make a new account to ask again.

They used to be cheaper... $40 is a lot.

Does anyone know if Dealers release service records just based on a VIN?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 AM
idaband
Racer

Originally Posted by jr3
You do know carfax is a joke right?

And abc news just had a segment that busted them is some faulty claims. Vehicles car fax said was "A Ok" had actually been in multiple crashes.
I've heard they are a joke...

I just don't know how to weed out a good car from a bad car

Now i'm hearing CarChex is bad too
Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 312 Likes on 200 Posts

ibtl/
Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

You do know carfax is a joke right?

And abc news just had a segment that busted them is some faulty claims. Vehicles car fax said was "A Ok" had actually been in multiple crashes.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by idaband
I was hunting for the rules about this. I had other forums offer before...but i left some other ones and didn't want to make a new account to ask again.

$40 bucks for a sheet of paper seems like it could be profitable.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:22 AM
idaband
Racer

Originally Posted by jr3
$40 bucks for a sheet of paper seems like it could be profitable.
that gives me an idea. Why am I buying a car? I should start the Car Honey Badger Service. "Honey badger don't give a $h4t".
Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

if I'm looking online to buy a car and it has a Carfax in the ad it's nice.
I have found some useful info at times in the Carfax but not very often.
Nothing beats checking out a vehicle in person and a Carfax just isn't worth buying for $40.00... IMO
Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,277 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I was hunting for the rules about this.
Here's the forum rule about it.

Carfax

The Corvette Forum does not condone any activity which is dishonest, unethical or immoral with that said, members will be required to purchase their own Carfax report, rather than to share a purchase from another member.

Although such activity does not directly affect the forum, it does promote a procedure which the forum deems to be inappropriate.

Carfax is used as an example, but, the rule will apply to any similar activity or business.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...71-carfax.html
Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM
P0234
Pro

Wow... good times... Carfax is a tool. In the hands of an idiot, it is worthless. Looks like there are a few here.

They are very much worth the money spent, $40 on a $20k+ investment. Get the Autocheck as well. Most of the time you can get the dealer to give you both free.

Neither will tell you if you car is truly accident free. But either will do a fantastic job of weeding out cars that have accidents on their reports as well as owner and maintenance history.

If you are happy with the Carfax, have the car inspected by your mechanic and a trusted body shop. Both must lift the car and look underneath. The body shop should also use a Paint Depth gauge.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:32 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Is there coupons or a better way to run a history report?
No.Not even the dealer will tell you of accidents.Break down and spend the loot.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by P0234
Wow... good times... Carfax is a tool. In the hands of an idiot, it is worthless. Looks like there are a few here.

They are very much worth the money spent, $40 on a $20k+ investment. Get the Autocheck as well. Most of the time you can get the dealer to give you both free.

Neither will tell you if you car is truly accident free. But either will do a fantastic job of weeding out cars that have accidents on their reports as well as owner and maintenance history.

If you are happy with the Carfax, have the car inspected by your mechanic and a trusted body shop. Both must lift the car and look underneath. The body shop should also use a Paint Depth gauge.
Everyone's entitled to their Opinion, but what good is the Carfax if some have reported accidents and some don't
Maybe simply Save the money towards a Mechanic looking the car over
The DD I just bought had a clean Carfax and info about new brakes and rotors and Maintenance History.
But when I went to look at the vehicle ( and this what at a GM Dealership ) it had all new Headlights, Grill and few other things upfront under the hood.
Also the Hood, Front Fender and Door had been Repainted
Granted, after I checked it out it there was No Structural damage and being a DD for me I didn't care.

Nothing about that in the Carfax ... but it Definitely had some kind of Accident.

Too each his own
Old 03-22-2013, 02:07 PM
P0234
Pro

Originally Posted by Dif
Everyone's entitled to their Opinion, but what good is the Carfax if some have reported accidents and some don't
Maybe simply Save the money towards a Mechanic looking the car over
The DD I just bought had a clean Carfax and info about new brakes and rotors and Maintenance History.
But when I went to look at the vehicle ( and this what at a GM Dealership ) it had all new Headlights, Grill and few other things upfront under the hood.
Also the Hood, Front Fender and Door had been Repainted
Granted, after I checked it out it there was No Structural damage and being a DD for me I didn't care.

Nothing about that in the Carfax ... but it Definitely had some kind of Accident.

Too each his own
Are you really that dense? You use Carfax to weed out crappy cars. I don't know about you, but I don't have time to look at every car in the world. Before I look at a car in person, I get/run the Carfax. If the Carfax is crappy, I move on. If it is questionable, I inquire more.

They are very useful to narrow your search down. Terrible as an absolute indication of a car being accident free.

You remind me of the people that say radar detectors don't work. Just because a tool isn't absolute, it doesn't mean it isn't useful and worth the price.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:37 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

CarFax is a tool - one of many 'tools' a person can choose to employ in making a pre-owned car buying decision. It is a tool with flaws, the most noteworthy being the inconsistency of information reported to CarFax. Another is the timing of information reports.

If I have a serious interest in purchasing a pre-owed car, I am going to include a CarFax report as a near first step. The CarFax info can at times save me from investing any further time or effort or a vehicle if the report contains info that is unacceptable to me. A clean report gives me the green light to move ahead with next steps which most often begins with a thorough mechanical inspection by a shop/mechanic of my choosing.

Remember in addition to accident repair reporting, the CarFax can alert you to odometer reading inconsistencies, title issues, rental car use, open recalls, service records, and more. Dealers will most often provide them to you free of charge upon your request and in a private sale, most often the seller will obtain one if you insist.

Just don't get caught up in the thinking the report is all you need to make your purchase decision - it is only as good as the info that has been reported and no more.

Get notified of new replies

To anyone have an unlimited CARFAX account?

Quick Reply: anyone have an unlimited CARFAX account?