C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about Grand Sport options for you gurus

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Questions about Grand Sport options for you gurus

Bunch of questions; thanks for your time and patience.

#1. NPP - dual exhaust.

If the new car I'm contemplating (I found a 1LT Grand Sport with almost all options I want) doesn't have the NPP, which is an option I would have liked, can I get the same thing or better if I am willing to spend the money on a Borla catback exhaust with some Mild-to-Wild type switch?

If the answer is yes: the fact that the NPP will open up the valves above a certain RPM is kinda neat; if I got a Borla or other exhaust, does the Mild to Wild type device have the same setting? Or must I choose valves open or closed?

#2. BRAKES that come with a GS 1LT with F55

Is some separate brake option I should be looking for on this trim, i.e. stronger brake option? Or does a GS 1LT with F55 have no other options for brake quality?

#3. TRACTION CONTROL on this 2013 GS 1LT with F55

I guess it's called "performance traction management".

would this GS 1LT have the same traction control that a 2013 Z06 would have? Or would is that type of traction control an option that is unavailable on the Grand Sport with F55?

#4. Limited Slip differential 3.42 ratio Rear Axle

Is this a separate option or standard?

#5. Launch control

comes Standard, right? (yeah I know, I'd rarely use it)

#6. MP3 capability with the Standard Audio System

Standard,right? just confirming.

#7. Dual roof option.

Is this nice to have? Is there a widely available aftermarket clear-roof product that costs less than the $1500 this adds to the price of the car? $1500 is pretty steep but seems like this would be nice to have.

#8. BONUS Z06 question: Does the 2009 Z06 come with Performanc traction management? How about Launch control?

Thank you, everyone.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:00 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

8. BONUS Z06 question: Does the 2009 Z06 come with Performanc traction management? How about Launch control?
no launch control until 2010 model year I think. NPP can be added after the fact if you buy the system and all parts needed or a comparable after market system.All safety equipment,i e traction control,is the same across the board.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam_W

If the new car...doesn't have the NPP...can I get the same thing or better...
You can install NPP mufflers with a mild-to-wild type controller on a car that did not come equipped with NPP exhaust from the factory. It's not too bad to do and MANY of us have gone this route. Expect to spend about $800-$1000 to buy a set of used NPP mufflers and an aftermarket controller. (Note: The $1100 that the NPP option costs is well worth it!)

Other than using NPP mufflers, you can buy an aftermarket dual-mode exhaust system (like B&B Fusions) which are awesome and probably sound better than NPPs...but will run you close to $1800. I'm not aware of any other dual mode exhaust besides B&Bs. Well, there's Akropivic (sp?) which are frigging awesome but cost something like $4,000!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

1) I don't know of any aftermarket exhaust that perform dual mode (OK obviously the B&B does), such as the NPP option. As stated, you can the NPP option if you like

2) All Grand Sports come with the same brakes

3) Traction Control is available on all GS. The F55 option is a suspension setting - sport vs. touring. I don't recall about PTM being added to the other lines in 2013. Maybe it was.

4) 3.42 is the factory ratio for manual vehicles

5) Launch control standard on all manuals 2010+

6) Mp3 became standard in 2006? 2005? earlier?

7) Dual roof is a preference. I only believe in one roof - the clear one, as I need all the headroom I can get.

8) No to both questions.

Last edited by Snake.Oiler; 03-28-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

No PTM on the GS. It was added from the ZR1 to the Z06 in 2012.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Thank you for answers.

I see that Traction Control is something different than Performance Traction Management.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Rathmullan
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#2. BRAKES that come with a GS 1LT with F55

Is some separate brake option I should be looking for on this trim, i.e. stronger brake option? Or does a GS 1LT with F55 have no other options for brake quality?

#3. TRACTION CONTROL on this 2013 GS 1LT with F55

I guess it's called "performance traction management".

would this GS 1LT have the same traction control that a 2013 Z06 would have? Or would is that type of traction control an option that is unavailable on the Grand Sport with F55?

#7. Dual roof option.

Is this nice to have? Is there a widely available aftermarket clear-roof product that costs less than the $1500 this adds to the price of the car? $1500 is pretty steep but seems like this would be nice to have.
Brakes on Grand Sport are a significant upgrade over the Base Corvette and there is no other factory option that I'm aware of.

I'm not sure how things work eactly on the M6 but both the active handling controls and traction controls can can be turned on/off in different permutations and to different degrees to vary the amount of computer overide. Go here for an explanation: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tive-mode.html

Having two roofs is a very nice option, and as you probably know the Z06 is a fixed roof vehicle while the Grand Sport allows for open air cruising with the roof panel removed. I like having both roofs to vary the look of the car and to adjust to seasonal changes. If you want both roofs its best to purchase a car with the body colored top as the generic tinted clear roof can be had new for under $1K.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:39 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rathmullan
If you want both roofs its best to purchase a car with the body colored top as the generic tinted clear roof can be had new for under $1K.

Where can someone buy a new tinted clear roof ? Is it OEM or aftermarket?

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:11 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

There was one in the C6 classifieds here yesterday. The poster said it was like new - $850. But I havent looked down there today. Might be worth a quick check if you are wanting a glass top.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 AM
Rathmullan
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can someone buy a new tinted clear roof ? Is it OEM or aftermarket?

Thanks.
I'm partial to The GM PartsHouse myself but there are many vendors on this site that carry them. The PartsHouse current price is $1,235 but they have run specials where the price was lower ($999, maybe it was $1,099) for a new oem roof. http://www.gmpartshouse.com/partslis...tte-parts-list. Checkout ebay as well. I think you'll see more sales on C6 accessories as some dealer inventory goes back to distributors when the C7 comes out.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:54 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all your help, guys.

This is a great forum and a great community.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just an FYI...

If you buy a top that someone has to send you, be aware that these things are extremely prone to being damaged during the shipping process. There are lots of nightmare stories from forum members who have received cracked tops...even when it looked like they had been packaged properly. The claims process can be a nightmare.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Adam, I love my '12 GS 1LT, 6spd coupe, dry-sump w/ NPP, grey wheels. If 1LT vs; 2LT isn't that big a deal for you, then find a 2LT with NPP & your most preferred options like interior & exterior color.

I really like my NPP, especially now w/ headers, but it will be easier/simpler to get wheels powder-coated, or aftermarket wheels, different GS badges, etc, than to add NPP later. I had to have silver ext, black int & 1LT 6spd coupe, but was willing to upgrade/paint wheels if necessary. I didn't realize how awesome NPP is & it would be a must have if I were to do it again. It's wisper quiet at any rpm when closed for long drives, but deep, loud & throaty when open. You can make a $10 add-a-switch to manually open & close the valves, or spend $30 for a controller, but having a manual control is great if you like the open sound.

Depending on your driving style, F55 may or may not be what you want. It's a truly fantastic system, so effective it's licensed by MB, Ferrari & others, but I preferred to run basic suspension & adding stiffer shocks later (DRM Bilstiens) to tighten it down...I'm 100% happy with this decsion. Note that in '12 the basic suspension comes w/ 1st generation Goodyear F1's, vs; the much improved 2nd gen F1's that come with F55, not sure if it's the same in '13 but I think so. I burned through my gen 1 F1's in 8K miles, but am much happier w/ my ($1,600) non run-flat Michelin Pilot Super sports.

In short, keep an open mind on options & have your local dealer, or one of the biggies, Boardwalk, Criswell, Macmulkin, etc search the country for exactly what you really want, or at least a configuration that has a more simple/less expensive aftermarket upgrade path. Thinking long term, the 2LT package will likely get you better resale/trade-in values. Lastly, you should not spend more than $50K on a 1LT 6spd NPP GS coupe, 0%/5yrs GM financing to boot.

Last edited by Bedouin; 03-29-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Thanks Bedouin. I appreciate the advice.

I definitely want the NPP, but also the F55. The F55 is much harder to find, so the easiest upgrade path appears to get the 1LT GS with F55 in the exterior/interior color I want and then have GM NPP with mild2wild installed afterwards (none available with both F55 and NPP anywhere near me), because it is really hard - if not impossible - to install F55 afterwards, whereas it's not that hard to get NPP installed. Props to Mike at Criswell, who has been really helpful in helping me track down the places in the country where the cars I want are located. And props to Tommy at Macmulkin who helped me out and who I almost bought from.

The decision to go with a new '13 Grand Sport (with option to supercharge in the future) over an equivalent priced 2009 low miles Z06 has been heartwrenching, and I haven't fully decided, though I'm now leaning toward the GS after going back and forth (and bothering a lot of corvette forum members in the process). Though it makes logical sense to go with the used Z06 in regards to the fact that the cost of supercharging the GS won't be recouped when the car is sold, and a supercharged GS is still not equivalent in build or chassis or appeal of a Z06.... My gut does not feel right about paying $55K for a 5 year old Chevrolet that is out of warranty and needs $2000 in "preventative" headwork. I mean, if the LS7 was bulletproof and Chevrolet had a sterling reputation of supporting its product and putting the customer first, it would be a different story and I'd have confidence in forking over the money for an older Z06, but we know that is not the case. And a brand new GS with 7 year GMPP warranty (with option to supercharge and void the warranty) being a good alternative is even more true when I consider the fact that my desire for a Z06 is an irrational one, given that my car will never see a track and will be a local daily driver with the frequent romp on the freeway or highway. That sums up what I've been spending way too much time thinking about over the past few months. My back and forth between used Z06 vs. new/newer GS is driving my wife and coworkers nuts, they're like, " &$%%! , just buy it already and shut up."

Last edited by Adam_W; 03-29-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Thanks Bedouin.

Unfortunately, I can't spend $66K+ for a 2013 Z06, otherwise there'd be no question.

The car being contemplated is a New 2013 Grand Sport vs. 2009 low miles Z06, as they are of comparable price. It's a tough decision, and I could almost go with the Z06.... it's just a lot of money for a 5 year old car with no warranty, as compared to a new one with 7 year warranty.

And 0% is available only on 2012s, not 2013s.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:43 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

I'm picking up a 1LT GS from Mike Furman tomorrow. Only option it has is auto trans & NPP..$47.7k with loyalty can't be beat for a new car..I don't want or care for 2LT. The Bose is junk & the nav isn't great from what I read..Never used HUD in my C5 so why waste $2k for 2LT..Join the 1LT family with me...
Old 03-30-2013, 04:30 AM
Brady Kohuth
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're going to spend this kind of money,if it were me,I would at least get the 2LT. I know some of the other posts say just get the 1LT,but you will get the HUD and you will use it more than you think. I'm not so crazy about the NAV system either,but it came with the car,so. I on the other hand have the 4LT,with the NPP and LOVE the sound,using the mild/wild switch.

If you are planning to keep the car for awhile,go for at least the 2LT.My opinion of course !!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:57 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Thanks Brady, I am contemplating that, as I do value the HUD. It turns out that an OEM HUD can be installed as an aftermarket, and looks seamless if done right. But you're right : if I can find a 2LZ with F55 + NPP, and be okay with the price, then that would cover all my bases.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about Grand Sport options for you gurus

Quick Reply: Questions about Grand Sport options for you gurus