C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery charge

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Default battery charge

I just put a multimeter to my battery with the engine off and it read 13.02 volts. When I was driving and used the DIC it was reading around 13.7 to 14 volts. Car starts fine but my gas gauge is acting up and Ive used seafoam and have been using Texaco to fill up. So Im wondering if the low voltage on the battery could cause the gas sensors to act up? Whats the best battery to use as a replacement?

With car on the readins were around 14.2 volts so Im guessing the battery and the alternator are good? So something else causing the low DIC readings? I remember them read a 14+ volts before and never got into the 13s.

Last edited by S'vette; 04-16-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Battery looks fine.

You said you used Seafoam. How often, how long ago?

If your only issue is the gas gauge I suggest trying "at least" 2 tanks of Chevron supplemented with a bottle of Techron each time. If the gas gauge issue is the usual sender contamination then the Techron has proven to fix that in many cases. At least it's easy and you need the gas anyway so it really isn't costing anything other than the added Techron.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:30 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RicK T
Battery looks fine.

You said you used Seafoam. How often, how long ago?

If your only issue is the gas gauge I suggest trying "at least" 2 tanks of Chevron supplemented with a bottle of Techron each time. If the gas gauge issue is the usual sender contamination then the Techron has proven to fix that in many cases. At least it's easy and you need the gas anyway so it really isn't costing anything other than the added Techron.
Ive done the seafoam atleast 2 times in the past 6 months. And I have used Texaco several times in the past month, I thought theirs had the Techron too? Is there an easy way to test the sendoers? Thanks.

PS- Just a litlle curious why the DIC has never shown in the 13s before and now does and I havent added anything electrical.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Voltage shown on the DIC seems to vary considerably depending on RPM, battery charge, electrical loads, and even outside temp.

I don't get excited by any readings between about 12.7 and 14.7, with the engine running.

Of course, I'm not having any other issues ...
Old 04-16-2013, 09:40 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

With the engine running the normal reading is 13.8 - 14.2.

If you have any doubts about the battery then take it out or take the car someplace and get it load tested. That's really the only way to be reasonably certain of condition.

And no, I don't know a way to test the sender. There might be a way but I don't know it.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by S'vette
I just put a multimeter to my battery with the engine off and it read 13.02 volts. When I was driving and used the DIC it was reading around 13.7 to 14 volts. Car starts fine but my gas gauge is acting up and Ive used seafoam and have been using Texaco to fill up. So Im wondering if the low voltage on the battery could cause the gas sensors to act up? Whats the best battery to use as a replacement?

With car on the readins were around 14.2 volts so Im guessing the battery and the alternator are good? So something else causing the low DIC readings? I remember them read a 14+ volts before and never got into the 13s.
If I am understanding correctly, you are concerned because the battery resting is reading 13.02 and then when the car is running, the system voltage is 13.7 or so. This is completely normal. If you let the battery rest overnight, it should read right around 12.8...try it. The resting voltage of a fully charged car battery is 12.8 volts but it will read slightly higher when measured right after charging (right after turning the car off). This is called the 'surface charge'. The same thing happens if it is measured right after coming off a battery tender because they keep the battery at about 13.5 volts by charging slightly.
Once the car is running and the alternator starts providing power to the system, the system voltage, which includes the battery, will be anywhere between 13.2 and 14.5 on the DIC. This is normal range and does not indicate any problems.
As for the gas gauge, it is unrelated to the voltages. Texaco gasoline is now made by Chevron and has the same Techron additive. You might also try buying a bottle of Techron and put that in with a full tank.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the info guys, so I guess Ill keep trying the gas for a bit then see about getting the sending units checked if it still persists. Im gonna clean all the baterry connectors and posts too.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Agree with cclive. I dont think its battery related at all.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:53 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The added Techron in a bottle has been successful for many here on the forum...put one in each of the next couple of tanks.

Get notified of new replies

To battery charge

Quick Reply: battery charge