C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 buying experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Typical Stealership experience IMHO. You tried to do everything right by having the deal pre-negiotated. This is why I keep my cars for 10 years or more. I so hate the Stealership experience I don't want to have to bother with their BS.

I have had a few good experiences over the years. Once I bought a new car from a dealer owner over the phone directly since a friend knew him personally and went during lunch time to pick it up. Otherwise I would just deal with a Forum dealer and take Museum delivery or have it shipped.

Last edited by Flame Red; 05-09-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Why don't you call Stasek Chevrolet in Wheeling. They are a forum dealer. The forum rep is Brent Baker. He can get the car transferred to their dealership.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 AM
SquareHead
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

ITShakes,

I sent you a PM. I may be selling the exact car you are looking for, but it's a convertible.

Last edited by SquareHead; 05-09-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:56 AM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

Contact Mike Furman from Criswell Chevrolet. I just bought from him a month ago. You'll get a price over the phone with no BS. Come in the car is detailed & ready for you to take it, no head games, hidden charges. Fly in & drive that bad boy home!!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Christopher M Hoelbl
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do apologize about your experience at other dealerships, I would like you to give us the opputunity here at Bill Stasek Chevrolet in Wheeling IL to make your Corvette buying experience the most enjoyable. We are the largested Corvette dealership in the midwest. We don't get that title of being the largest just by chance its because we are and we do treat our customers with the utmost respect Please give us the opportunity to help. We can be reached at 847-777-5902.

Thank you again!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Run N. Gun
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Call Mike Furman with Criswell Chevrolet and don't ever look back. I bought my car sight unseen and it was perfect. Perfect transaction, shipping, etc. Easiest car purchase, ever.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:31 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I get treated far better at the Acura dealer where we purchased our last three SUVs in both sales and service than all the Chevy dealers I've purchased new (and used) Corvettes from over the years. Must be a Chevy thing since I bought a Cadillac Seville years ago as a daily driver and was treated like royalty even back then. I suck it up though because a Corvette is a Corvette.

And the domestic automakers wonder why the Asians and Germans continue to beat their sales marks year in and year out.

Last edited by vetdude; 05-09-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:20 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
I'd seek out the dealership owners in both cases, I can't imagine a dealer principle would be at all pleased with losing a buyer in that manner.

Good advice. Raise a little Hell. GM/Corvette is definitely not being served well by these types of dealers.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:30 PM
vindicator
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another example of why we buy from forum sponsors. I bought from Tommy jr at Macmulkin, best price, full of gas, and a forinsic team could not have found a fingerprint on it
Old 05-09-2013, 04:31 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by 1911colt
You need to call Tommy Thompson at MacMulkan Chevrolet in Nashua N.H He'll cut through all the B.S Have the car shipped to you and STILL save you $$$$ Only takes a phone call. You'll be dazzled !!!!
Let's be fair...MacMulkin is only one of the premier Forum vendors. Criswell being another. Criswell will do the same deal, and you will be equally dazzled..
Old 05-09-2013, 04:48 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
No doubt, some of GM's biggest problems are their dealers. I do believe its part of the race to the bottom on wages for a lot of these jobs and the quality of the employees they are attracting. Years ago it was the same salesmen at the dealers forever, most were there until they retired, now its someone different every time I stop in. There's a lot of truth in the old saying "you get what you pay for"

Hope you don't write off Corvette ownership because of a few bad dealership employees. They really are great cars.
And the same was true for the Service manger and his techs, the Body Shop Manager and his guys, the Parts Manager and his guys - Moreover the owner of the store was right there, hands on, tending to his customers, building friendships and his investment. Now the car shopping experience at too many dealers is cold, impersonal and totally without any relationship development.

That said, if it is a Corvette you're chasing, there is a great deal of satisfaction to still be had by contacting on of the Forum Dealers. Though they make their living selling cars, most are true enthusiasts and friends not yet discovered.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:51 PM
FiremanC7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had the opposite experience. When I got to the dealership the car I was interested was in a service bay, freshly detailed with a full tank of gas. I looked at several cars on the lot and found that all were relatively clean and none had dead batteries.

This dealer was number eight on the list of volume Corvette sellers last year. They are located in Hammond, LA.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I just bought mine last month from an independent dealer (e.g. not a GM dealer). Went fine. Anyways, just brought car in for some minor service (at a GM dealer since car still has full warranty) and the dealer has been okay (biggest gripe is they are SLOW at fixing things).

I'm coming from an Audi and I can tell you there's a huge difference in service departments between the two brands. I still got a rental out of Chevy to keep me in a car while the car is in shop but the knowledge of the service managers and promptness of getting things done and addressed (fixing car, customer communication, etc.) needs to be seriously addressed by GM.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 PM
olefam
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the risk of offending some forum sponsors, I would like to add that Matt Saxe Chevrolet in MN is a very good dealer to do business with. I was treated extremely well (Best new car buying experience by far) and a month after buying the car I received a very nice Chevy Corvette hand book. It's not that the book has any kind of exhorbitent value - it's that they went the extra mile and made sure we got one. I don't buy new corvettes every year. Truth is, this is the first new corvette my wife and I have ever purchased. But it is a nice feeling when one is treated as a valued customer rather than just a number.
Will we go back to Matt Saxe when it's time to buy our next car? In a heartbeat! Our saleman had integrity. Stood by his word. And made the transaction easy. That's what everyone should receive when they are buying a car. Other Chevy dealers could learn a lesson from this small-town dealership!
Glen
Old 05-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Default C6 buying experience

Well, what do you know? I just received an e-mail from the general manager of the dealer where I first went. He wanted to know why I had not purchased a car at his store yesterday! I fired back a full explanation of what happened, and we'll see what difference it makes. This experience has really soured me on buying a new Corvette. It is supposed to be a happy occasion, not a big disapointment. The sad thing is, this car is for my wife, and I don't want to ever disapoint her! You know what they say, "Keep the cook happy, and everything runs smooth"! The last new Corvette we bought for her was an '81, and that was a joyous occasion.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

CF forum dealers treat you right. The typical Chevy dealer has weak salesmen who know little or nothing about Corvettes.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:21 PM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

I work at a dealership in the detailing department, Im a full blown detailer and have enough knowledge to go around for every "detailer" there. My first day i had to tell a guy that he is completely using the polisher wrong by tilting it to the side, I was looked at as the new guy and didnt listen to me because they had their ways and im just the "beginner". The MANAGER didnt even know what Meguiars 105/205 was. They use low end Meguiars and Turtle Wax filler products to detail their $60k Corvettes and $20-50k cars then after they wash it a couple times, it shows the damage the detailer really did to the car instead of "cleaning" it. They obviously dont care anymore because they hire ANYONE at LOW wages.

The porter that drove the C6 to get gas most likely is getting paid minimum wage(they get minimum wage at the place i work). That is the guy that cleans the bathrooms and takes out the techs trash cans, yet they let them handle $50-60k cars like nothing.

I dont see myself lasting a long time there. I can only cringe so many times in 1 shift before i just lose it. I eventually want to move up to a high end dealership or a higher end shop.

Last edited by bladex10; 05-09-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 buying experience

Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Chevy dealers aren't the only ones who hire irresponsible idiots...

Mercedes 300SL Gullwing wrecked by mechanic
Old 05-10-2013, 12:43 AM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

sorry to hear about the experience. I have had plenty, but my initial buying one was pretty good. Flew and drove 700 miles to the middle of nowhere to get what I wanted and everything was great (except the fierce rainstorm on the way home).

Also, I only paid 34,600 at the time so it wasn't like they were rolling out the red carpet on a new 60K vette. Getting there was rough, but the smile on my face didn't leave the whole way home and for days later.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:27 AM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ah....this is why is buy uesd,,,This is why I look to private party sales.. you save 3-5 thousand and you meet to owner, it runs and you save big time. Tons of them out there...

Quick Reply: C6 buying experience