C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Dealers Trying To Drive Down C6 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
You can't expect a car that is so new to hold its' value well...the biggest hit in depreciation is exactly the time period that you have chosen to own the car.

Originally Posted by Gman22

As for what I would be trading it for isnt very expensive but still 77k.
A baller like you should have to worry about taking a hit
Old 05-09-2013, 01:36 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

So what did the Ford dealership offer you? I guess because the 427 60th Anniversary special Edition is not even a year old yet it would be hard to figure a true value. After all, I don't think there are many being traded in already. But again, it really does not matter what the car sold for, because once it is titled and driven off the lot it loses money. Some more then others but they still lose money. So don't expect to get what to paid for it as a trade in.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

The C6 market hasn't settled down since the C7 arrived. Dealers are afraid the value might drop and are reluctant to offer book trade-in-value. That is my basic fear on trading up to a C7, getting a decent trade.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:49 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Old 05-09-2013, 02:33 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Wondering if anyone else thinks dealers are trying to drive down C6 trade in prices to hype the C7 sales? I went to a couple of Ford dealers yesterday to check on maybe trading in my 427 60th Aniversary edition for a Raptor. Because the vette is so new they had to make calls to several chevy dealers to get an idea of value.

At each ford dealership their GM told me the chevy dealers were afraid to give any type of value because they expect C7 sales to be high and with high C7 sales it would drive down the price on the C6s.

Now one reason I purchased this corvette was value retention. Based on what I am hearing right now because of the C7s I paid 95k for a limited edition car that Chevy is trying to devalue just to push its new C7 design that I thought most corvette owners didnt care for. I am saying this in jest but the Viper sure looks like a better investment based on what I have been hearing the last few days.

If this is the case and C6s are going to suffer for C7 hype ( Yes Not A Big Fan of C7 Design ) then maybe should just dump the 427 and make my next sports car purchase either a Viper or Shelby 500 Supersnake. /Rant Off...LOL
As a former auto dealer I can tell you simply that your car is worth what someone ELSE will pay for it.. On a private sale your car is worth what you can get from a particular buyer.. It's your choice to sell it or not.. You can free to set any price you want, and of course the "market" will determine if its fair by generating a sale of interest in sale.. If you price a car at X and everyone calls and offers you way lower chances are your priced to high.. It's not rocket science...

From a dealer point of view it is worth what he thinks he can sell it for less the reconditioning expenses and profit he/she wants to make factoring in what he would have to pay for a similar one if available from a 3rd party source like a wholesale vehicle auction or wholesaler.. There is certainly NO CONSPIRACY to devalue a vehicle... Dealers are independent business people who's first motive is simply PROFIT...

Values can of course vary from deler to dealer based on the local markets and inventory, a dealer that has zero inventory of a particular model they sell regularly or think they can sell quickly at a good number would of course probably pay more than a dealer who has 3 similar cars sitting on their lot..

It's also a common practice for a dealer who is not sure of a value of say a 427 Vette because he may be a brand X dealer etc, to pick up the phone and call a Chevy dealer he knows to get a "buy" figure and then either resell the car to that dealer if he makes the deal or keep it if he feels he can resell it himself at a profit.. Plus in todays world there are several web services that dealers can shop the car and sell it in seconds on line...

A conspiracy to devalue C6 corvette's; no way... it's simply supply vs. demand PERIOD .....
Old 05-09-2013, 02:39 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Doubt dealers are trying to drive prices down
Old 05-09-2013, 03:00 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just found this on Ebay. Mine was msrp at 95,900 this one on ebay is msrp at 93,025 and selling for 82,970. There is another one on ebay at 65k for the bid. So I am getting the impression that these limited edition vettes are not currently holding their value.
So to urinate on your parade but your car depreciated at least 20% as soon as you drove it off the lot.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealers just know that soon there will be a flood of C6 owners wanting to trade in for a C7. It's just supply and demand.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:12 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

I disagree this is not a Dodge Ram or Ford Pinto.. this was promoted as a limited edition specialty corvette. If I went out and bought a Shelby GT 500 Supersnake for 110k right now and went to sell it 6 months from now I bet I get 110k or more for it. My point is any specialty limited edition car that any dealer is selling should hold its value more than the same type model without the limited edition specialty tag.
Truth be told, your 427 60th is not special enough to hold value close to what you paid. The car is depreciating, period. Perhaps, if you hermedically sealed the 427 for 20 years, you might realize a small return on your investment. But, to think a 427 60th is an investment is a lofty expectation.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Gman22
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by topper7788
As a former auto dealer I can tell you simply that your car is worth what someone ELSE will pay for it.. On a private sale your car is worth what you can get from a particular buyer.. It's your choice to sell it or not.. You can free to set any price you want, and of course the "market" will determine if its fair by generating a sale of interest in sale.. If you price a car at X and everyone calls and offers you way lower chances are your priced to high.. It's not rocket science...

From a dealer point of view it is worth what he thinks he can sell it for less the reconditioning expenses and profit he/she wants to make factoring in what he would have to pay for a similar one if available from a 3rd party source like a wholesale vehicle auction or wholesaler.. There is certainly NO CONSPIRACY to devalue a vehicle... Dealers are independent business people who's first motive is simply PROFIT...

Values can of course vary from deler to dealer based on the local markets and inventory, a dealer that has zero inventory of a particular model they sell regularly or think they can sell quickly at a good number would of course probably pay more than a dealer who has 3 similar cars sitting on their lot..

It's also a common practice for a dealer who is not sure of a value of say a 427 Vette because he may be a brand X dealer etc, to pick up the phone and call a Chevy dealer he knows to get a "buy" figure and then either resell the car to that dealer if he makes the deal or keep it if he feels he can resell it himself at a profit.. Plus in todays world there are several web services that dealers can shop the car and sell it in seconds on line...

A conspiracy to devalue C6 corvette's; no way... it's simply supply vs. demand PERIOD .....
That was the problem the Chevy dealers didnt want to give a buy figure cause I am guessing they are affraid that if the C7s are hot sellers the C6s will lose value, then again if the C7s fail the C6s will gain in value. Lets also not forget the new emission standards coming out that will effect any new cars being produced.

Its really a moot point I guess. I bought the car thinking one thing based on press releases and marketing and it turns out to be something different. The one thing I do know is a Viper holds its value a lot better since I owned one in the past. So for now I keep the vette, dump it when not upside down and the next sports car will be a Viper or maybe a Shelby GT 500 Supersnake.

Thanks for all the input Ladies and Gents its much appreciated.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:21 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

That was the problem the Chevy dealers didnt want to give a buy figure cause I am guessing they are affraid that if the C7s are hot sellers the C6s will lose value, then again if the C7s fail the C6s will gain in value. Lets also not forget the new emission standards coming out that will effect any new cars being produced.
I don't ever see that happening but if the C7 sells at or near sticker price for an extended time, I don't see the C6 prices dropping too much.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Gman22
Advanced

Well all may not be lost I think I found a dealer willing to work with this. If so I can trade in for a Raptor Roush with the 590 hp motor package. Waiting on final numbers but heres keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:33 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Well all may not be lost I think I found a dealer willing to work with this. If so I can trade in for a Raptor Roush with the 590 hp motor package. Waiting on final numbers but heres keeping my fingers crossed.
Maybe I missed it, but why do you want to get rid of it already?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Gman22
Advanced

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Maybe I missed it, but why do you want to get rid of it already?
Bought a bass boat and have one other truck but wife cant drive a manual. So considering I plan on hitting the bass tournament trail its just not practical to have this car sit. Im not one to buy a nice sport car and garage it. To me that is a waste. To make up for the missed VOOM VOOM a Roush Raptor truck with a 590 in it makes up a little for that and also gives me the truck I need for traveling with the bass boat.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:59 PM
TurboJunky
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

Just found this on Ebay. Mine was msrp at 95,900 this one on ebay is msrp at 93,025 and selling for 82,970. There is another one on ebay at 65k for the bid. So I am getting the impression that these limited edition vettes are not currently holding their value.
New Corvettes do not hold their value. ZR1s are 120k new and some have sold in the 70s and will continue to drop.

Your car maybe highly sought after in about 20-30 years when it is a classic but until then the bottom will fall out on it.

Also Raptors are nice but no way would I trade in a Vette for a slightly beefed up Ford F150. (unless you plan on a lot of off road racing)
Old 05-10-2013, 02:01 PM
TurboJunky
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

now you are talking.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:42 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Its really a moot point I guess. I bought the car thinking one thing based on press releases and marketing and it turns out to be something different. The one thing I do know is a Viper holds its value a lot better since I owned one in the past. So for now I keep the vette, dump it when not upside down and the next sports car will be a Viper or maybe a Shelby GT 500 Supersnake.

Thanks for all the input Ladies and Gents its much appreciated.
Just an FYI, the C7 is over 90 days out, dealers do not appraise cars on what they think they will be worth in 90 days...

Dealers expect to turn a used vehicle in less than 60 days max knowing full well if it ages out they are going to loose as cars DEPRECIATE . I couldn't tell you why a dealer couldn't give a buy figure, other than just didn't want your car. I can tell you why you may not like the figure if you had gotten one... LOL.

Any way enjoy your Corvette while you have it, and whatever you get next.. If you bought a 427 because you thought it would somehow not depreciate much, well lesson learned... If you wanted to collect it, than don't drive it, put it away for a LONG LONG while and you may come out ahead... But cars in general are not fine wine, they do not appreciate with age...

Get notified of new replies

To Are Dealers Trying To Drive Down C6 Prices

Old 05-10-2013, 02:48 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Right now you want what they have and they don't want what you have. Don't even think of MSRP on any C6. More like $10-15k or more below. I have a 60th Anniversary GS coupe. I'm not going to preach it'll hold its value more than another 13 GS coupe. Ford is smart though. They are strict with their sales and even an SHO Taurus is rare in their eyes. But serious, $77k for a truck?

Also people have to realize that the more expensive vehicle you buy the higher the $$ depreciation is. Upper level Vette owners are pissed when they lose $30-40k after 2 years. Supersnake is nice but I would never pay $110k for a Mustang.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:19 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

They can do what they want now.I got my 15 g's off msrp on the 13 GS and decent money for the trades.I did this because I don't see myself ever liking a C7 enough to buy one.When the C8 comes out,if I like it,my car will be paid off by then. ..but all in all the natural order of things is for the C6 to go down in value the older it gets...same thing will happen with the c7 when it's time comes.And yes,the more stuff (expensive) the Vette has/is,the higher the depreciation..

Last edited by not08crmanymore; 05-10-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

You keep saying Chevy dealers wouldn't give the Ford dealer a price on your car? How do you know that is true? Maybe the Ford dealer told you that because he would rather sell his truck to somebody else without a high dollar non Ford product trade.

The manager of the Ford store didn't need to call anybody. All he had to do was look your car up on Manheim MMR and see what everyone sold for in the last 90 days at auction. I think after seeing that 427 convertibles at auction bring $75K and you are saying you paid $90+ they didn't want to tell you what your car was worth.

They could have either traded your car and taken it to Manheim Orlando and sold it or called one of many Corvette used dealers such as Roger's, H&H, The Toy Store, Naples Motorsports etc.

Next time you buy a new Vette buy it from one of the Forum dealers and you won't pay list.

Quick Reply: Are Dealers Trying To Drive Down C6 Prices