C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yellow Caliper paint to match Velocity Yellow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 AM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Yellow Caliper paint to match Velocity Yellow?

I've decided to paint my calipers yellow and bought a POR-15 yellow Caliper paint kit. Problem is that the yellow does not match. Has anyone else used a yellow caliper paint on their Velocity yellow vette? What mfg has a color which is close to the VY?

BTW, G2 has a custom match but it is $100. I may consider powder coat if I have to pay that much. I was trying to save a little $$$. But it seems that hardly ever works for me
Old 05-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

If you've not checked out Dupli-Color?
Available at most parts stores, might give 'em a look.
Used DC on my '06 Z51 car, and while I used red it turned out pretty good. Bet DC's yellow isn't bad, either.

Otherwise, powder coating may be your only other option.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:54 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Bump. Help! I need a yellow caliper paint which comes close to matching Velocity Yellow. Anyone know if G2 or duplicolor is close? POR 15 isn't very close at all
Old 05-10-2013, 06:30 PM
idaband
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious of this too
Old 05-10-2013, 06:40 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by idaband
I'm curious of this too
I have a color swatch coming from G2. The color on their site looks close. But that's not a good reference. The only Duplicolor kits I can find in town are red. I know that their yellow engine enamel is not a match. But I don't know about their caliper kits
Old 05-12-2013, 03:34 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Bump. Hoping someone has experience with yellow caliper paint. Anyone??
HELP!!!
Old 05-12-2013, 03:47 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Go to your local auto parts paint store and get them to mix you a can of spray paint in your paint color. Then it will match your car. Just clean real good, mask off what you don't want painted, an put on 3-4 light coats.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 AM
J Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Go to your local auto parts paint store and get them to mix you a can of spray paint in your paint color. Then it will match your car. Just clean real good, mask off what you don't want painted, an put on 3-4 light coats.
Thanks for your reply. From what I have read, the paint stores do not/cannot mix high temp paint. I am going to check with the store which I bought the kit from. They are an auto paint supply store.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:19 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

It doesn't have to be high temp paint. I painted mine when I had my 05 with regular paint and never had a problem in 4 years. Only thing I did was I used the DupliColor kit first and then spray painted them. I still have the can of spray paint.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Torch Ace
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you track your car? If not, you don't need high temp paint. Your calipers will never get that hot. I used Krylon from WalMart on my 2006 about 6 years ago that came close to matching Monterey Red and it still looked good when I traded it last July. I've also used a color close to millennium yellow on my wifes a number of years ago and it's still going strong. The secret is getting them good and clean before you paint them. I usually wash them down a couple of times with laq thinner. Spray light coats not wet coats.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Send 'em to Mike the Powdercoater......
Old 05-15-2013, 01:07 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

It doesn't have to be high temp paint. I painted mine when I had my 05 with regular paint and never had a problem in 4 years. Only thing I did was I used the DupliColor kit first and then spray painted them. I still have the can of spray paint.
Thanks. I was wondering if that were the case.

Originally Posted by Torch Ace
Do you track your car? If not, you don't need high temp paint. Your calipers will never get that hot. I used Krylon from WalMart on my 2006 about 6 years ago that came close to matching Monterey Red and it still looked good when I traded it last July. I've also used a color close to millennium yellow on my wifes a number of years ago and it's still going strong. The secret is getting them good and clean before you paint them. I usually wash them down a couple of times with laq thinner. Spray light coats not wet coats.
I don't track it but I do like to ride 421, "The Snake" which is only 25 miles from my house. There are lots of nice mountain roads nearby IE The Snake, Diamondback, The Dragon, etc that I drive.

Originally Posted by BSE1956
Send 'em to Mike the Powdercoater......
$450 for PC and installation vs $50 and some of my time for painted. I'd like to have the PC's. But I am retired and have other mods in mind also. IOW's I have more desire than $$$. But isn't that always the case?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:14 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Same here touch up paint and looks great after 2 years.

Get notified of new replies

To Yellow Caliper paint to match Velocity Yellow?

Quick Reply: Yellow Caliper paint to match Velocity Yellow?