C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17 year old and C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 05:29 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default Wouldn't it be nice . . .

. . . if follow-up posters would read the ENTIRE THREAD instead of just the original post before putting their two cents on the Internet?

I bought a Honda motorcycle at age 18, and sold it at age 21 (the happiest day of my Mother's life ). I was exposed to A LOT more danger than Kyle is when he is driving the new C6.

One of my freshman friends in college had a mother who felt guilty and bought him a new Cobra (in 1965) to assuage her guilt. He was SO CAREFUL driving that machine, and today he drives a Prius. There is such a thing as a responsible teenager; it is just that they are very rare and hard to find.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:39 PM
MongoosC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can be stupid and pay the price in any car regardless of its horsepower/handling capabilities. However, from a strict "horsepower only" point of view, it's been my experience that "mid-horsepowered" cars are more dangerous than either low or high powered cars.

I've owned nothing but sports/performance vehicles and as the horsepower went up, the more caution of a driver I became. Whether this was becoming jaded from wrecks, experience with time or mellowing with age I dont know. But I can tell you at 35 I still do really stupid things but place a higher value on "education over experience" than I use to.

If someone, regardless of age, is mature enough to drive a C6 safely then I say more power to them.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:47 PM
sick cc
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

im 19, work full time as a truck builder and own at 05 c6, just bought it last week and I love it!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:49 PM
DreamOn
7th Gear

Nothing wrong with it IMHO
At 16 i had a 520hp Cobra, Didn't get a speeding ticket till i was 20 in a Truck (the Irony lol)
Growing up something i learned was it Wasent me i was worried about, it was other drivers.
I Agree some Teens cant handle sports cars, however the ones that cant probably cant handle a normal car either!

On a Side note im now 23 and out of the 6 500Hp+ Cars Ive owned that speeding ticket i got in the truck is still my only lol Go Figure!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:51 PM
blkgs
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kyle.
Okay so not to start a hate thread, but i was reading a thread from a few years ago about someone who was 17 years old and got a C6 corvette. A lot of people say its stupid and shouldn't let a kid that young have a car with that amount of power. So here i am today, writing this post wondering why is it that you guys think a mature 17 year old shouldn't drive a C6? Im just curious?

- A 17 year old that drives a 2013 c6.
If the 17 yo is mature why not? A teenager can go buy a crotch rocket that does 140 mph, depends on what's between the ears.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:57 PM
door2416
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

From what I remember of being 17, it should almost be illegal to be 17. ( Sorry kid you'll shoot your eye out )

Last edited by door2416; 08-30-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:47 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 109 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I think what everyone is trying to say is we're a bit jealous because we didn't have a Corvette at 17. I almost bought one at 25, but the opportunity passed, and I forgot I wanted one until last year.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Joost Thienpont
Intermediate

It depends on the person, som 17 year olds are idiots and some take good care of there things..
Old 08-30-2013, 07:10 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I realize not all 17 year olds are equal when it comes to handling the responsibilty of a car but I have seen many responsible teens have at least one accident before they realize the full ramifications of driving responsibility. I would suggest getting the 17 year old a used Honda Accord and if they drive it responsibly for a year, then maybe consider an upgrade.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Joost Thienpont
Intermediate

yea, i agree with the previous post quite a bit, as a FIRST car its definitely a NONO. My first car was a 14 year old ford sierra gls. After couple years of no accidents i moved on to something better. Its a good rule.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Ozarkwoods
Racer

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
Not sure youngsters with fast cars is a good idea, but I had a pretty stout 71 Camaro when I was in high school during the late 80s. I'm still alive.
I agree I had one mean Ford Falcon...straight six..
Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 AM
kyle.
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joost Thienpont
yea, i agree with the previous post quite a bit, as a FIRST car its definitely a NONO. My first car was a 14 year old ford sierra gls. After couple years of no accidents i moved on to something better. Its a good rule.
thats the deal i had, the first car i was ever aloud to start driving when i just got my DL was a 1996 suburban. after driving that for 8 months without issues of any kind, other than it breaking down on me, i was able to move on to different vehicles.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:36 AM
b0xm0ns73r
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
Well here is a picture of my first Corvette at the tender age of 18. I owned this car for exactly two hours!!!!

I rolled three times down an embankment and landed upside down in a drainage ditch. I hit black ice while driving in triple digits.
2 HOURS????
Isn't that about an hour longer than you've owned some of your more recent vehicles........

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

On a more serious note, I know if I were to have owned a Vette at 17 I most likely wouldn't be here today.
When I was 16 I wanted a 5.0 Mustang Soooo bad. But my Pops told me over and over "a 16 yr old doesn't need one of those". He was Service Manager at a dealership at the time and had a lot of dealings with them.
When I was a lil older and had the money, I bought me one of them 5.0 Mustangs. I remember telling my Dad he was right, a 16 didn't need one of those.

Last edited by b0xm0ns73r; 09-12-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:10 AM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 546 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronsonf
I can see your reasoning, but I do not follow you to your conclusion. I attribute the decline of America to the growing role of the government as well as the disincentive to marry. The youth are becoming more rebellious and are fostered to disrespect authority figures (ie the pledge of allegiance). I can tell you I have given speeches at political summits and run 3 businesses, all of which are profitable. I do understand that adolescence correlates with certain hormones that are produced to allow an individual to test his/her limits for adulthood. I think we both need to agree to disagree and allow the creator of this thread to obtain the responses he sought.
he asked a question and I gave him a answer,and why I thought it is a bad idea.he did not ask about how many business people own or political rallys.you have some good points but that subject is to deep for this thread.i repeat NO c6 vettes for 17 year olds period.unless you want them dead or worse.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:42 AM
bamawrx
Instructor

Kyle,

Fact: Most adults aren't able to handle light weight rear wheel drive high horse power cars.

Fact: Most Corvettes are not daily drivers. They are driven in select weather, seasons, special purposes.

Fact: Insurance rates are CHEAP for Corvette because they are driven sparingly by people with grey or no hair. (Sorry people, you know its true)

What you have is an open bolt Uzi sub machine gun, and you have less than two years experience with daisy red rider BB gun. Bad idea? Yes it is. However, since you made the choice to take this on please be safe EXTRA SAFE. Attend driving schools to make yourself the best driver possible. You need training. You are almost old enough to learn to fly fighters in the military, so I'm not going to assume your aren't capable. Get training, be careful, and try not to ruin our wonderful insurance rates.

Oh one more thing...cool car.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:58 AM
TexasYankee
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I laugh when I see mature and teenager used in the same sentence. I wasn't "mature" until I had kids, a mortgage, and held 3 jobs while finishing up my engineering degree. Wouldn't have traded those immature years for anything. it was a hellava lot of fun!
Old 09-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

How old was the Corvette factory guy that wrecked the Blue C7 out west?

Get notified of new replies

To 17 year old and C6

Old 09-13-2013, 12:29 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by door2416
From what I remember of being 17, it should almost be illegal to be 17. ( Sorry kid you'll shoot your eye out )

^ Kinda says it all. Talk with some pros in the child development field about the state of maturity, decision making process and risk assessment of the average 17 year old.

It's not a bust against any one person who wants a C6 at age 17 - it's the human development curve.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

After 36 years in high school as a teacher, guidance counselor, and asst principal, I feel I can safely say there are not more than a very few quote mature 17 year olds. I was at a gifted and talented school. Maturity does not mean experience, that only comes with age. A corvette is a dangerous car to try to get experience in when the go pedal is pushed,,everything happened very quickly.

I was the typical stupid 17' year old male. I learned to drive on my dad's 1959 Chrysler with a 383 4bl and push bottom auto. I beat some Chevy and ford guys with that land barge. I also remember times I was way past the limit of belted tires and that cars suspension. I surely killed many guardian angels. So I speak with the experience of my life and my vocation/career.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:26 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Any teenager with a Vette is very lucky and are fortunate to have parents buy them such a car. I wonder what goes through the mind of these parents sometimes....

Quick Reply: 17 year old and C6