C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bogus Tire flat warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:49 PM
recentlydivorced
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Bogus Tire flat warning

Anyone ever get a tire flat warning when at a stop light and then as soon as you roll it goes away and everything is good?

it has happened to me 3 times in a month.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

What's a "flat tire warning?"

If you mean a low pressure TPMS warning, you need to check the pressure in your tires with a quality tire pressure gauge.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:58 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I have gotten this in my 08 Z06 a few times. I have checked the pressure and it was correct. It is a eronious error and goes away after a few seconds. Ita almost as if the sensor went back to sleep.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:01 PM
recentlydivorced
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

No it says Tire Flat, and goes on to say drive below 55 mph, only for some amount of miles. blah blah blah.

Then as soon as I move after the light turns green the message goes away and all tires show normal pressure.

Don't know if it the same tire every time did not look for that the first 3 times as it happens again I will check to see if it is the same tire over and over.

I am assuming the pressure sensor gets twisted if I stop with it in a specific orientation on one tire.

Anyone else have this happen to them?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:03 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 ATOMIC-Z
I have gotten this in my 08 Z06 a few times. I have checked the pressure and it was correct. It is a eronious error and goes away after a few seconds. Ita almost as if the sensor went back to sleep.
same here on RR....next set of tires I will get new TPMS all around ....not sure what year you have ...may be just getting old like mine on my 08
Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 PM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 213 Posts

My 2008 did this several times, but since I put the new tires on it and had the sensors rebuilt (new seals) it has not done it since then.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Copterdoc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
What's a "flat tire warning?"

If you mean a low pressure TPMS warning, you need to check the pressure in your tires with a quality tire pressure gauge.
From the C6 Owners Manual:

TIRE FLAT
When the LOW TIRE PRESSURE or "TIRE FLAT"message is displayed on the Driver Information
Center, your vehicle’s handling capabilities will be
reduced during severe maneuvers. If you drive too
fast, you could lose control of your vehicle. You or
others could be injured. Do not drive over 55 mph
(90 km/h) when the LOW TIRE PRESSURE or
TIRE FLAT message is displayed. Drive cautiously
and check your tire pressures as soon as you can.
This message displays when one or more of the tires is
flat. This message also displays LEFT FRONT, RIGHT
FRONT, LEFT REAR, or RIGHT REAR to indicate
which tire is affected. Multiple chimes sound and the
tire pressure light on the instrument panel cluster comes
on when this message is displayed. See Tire Pressure
Light on page 3-43.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I've seen the low pressure warning on mine (as well as high pressure warning when I race it) but had no idea there was a different Tire Flat warning. Any idea what pressure that comes on at since the manual doesn't say?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Copterdoc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by recentlydivorced
Anyone ever get a tire flat warning when at a stop light and then as soon as you roll it goes away and everything is good?

it has happened to me 3 times in a month.
I had a similar issue on my 2009, I would get an intermittant "Left Rear Tire Flat" that would last about a mile. Took it to the dealer who changed the Left Rear sensor. Technician did a test drive, and returned the car to me. Within a mile of leaving the dealer, I got the same warning, immediatley returned to the dealer and they discovered that the sensors were not mapped to the correct tire position. They remapped the sensors and discovered that my problem was actually the Right Rear, they changed that sensor and I have been problem free for 3 months.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Copterdoc
Intermediate

I've seen the low pressure warning on mine (as well as high pressure warning when I race it) but had no idea there was a different Tire Flat warning. Any idea what pressure that comes on at since the manual doesn't say?
Anytime I've checked the Pressures on the DIC, while I had the warning, it showed 2psi. Even though my pressures were fine when checked with a habd held gauge. Sorry but I don't know at what pressure it triggers the "Tire Flat" vs "Low Pressure".
Old 09-10-2013, 10:56 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

It comes on at about 4 psi. I've had several flat tires on C6s (some slowly, some pretty darn quickly), and what Ive observed was the low tire pressure warning comes on in the mid to high twenties, and then about 4-5psi it's reading as flat.

This is all provided you actually have a pressure problem, not a sensor problem (I've had a few of those go bad, as well).
Old 09-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I've been getting the same bogus message for the right front tire on my 09 every week or so and sometimes more often. And I get the "don't drive over 55mph..." And then it goes off in a mile or so. At one point I got the message just I entered the interstate and took the car up to 65 mph with no interference from the handling system. As long as it keeps going away and doesn't limit my speed, I'm just going to ignore it.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:13 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I get complaints for the right rear tire every now and then. Seems like it will happen a couple of times for a day or so, and then stop for weeks/months. Seen the pressure display XX as well. Never has it been an actual problem with the tires or pressure.

I've picked up a few screws over the years and it's always a bit disconcerting when the car is "crying wolf" just as often.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:18 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

You have a bad TPMS sensor. Replace it and live happily ever after.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Yeah, just replace your sensors and you are good to go for 7 to 10 years.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 AM
ChristinaG
Advanced

I had the same thing happen on mine. Flat tire, reduce speed under 55mph. Brought it in to dealer to check sensor, they said fine. Still happens every once in a while, although the last time, it really was a flat tire! So I don't ignore it anymore, and drive under 55 until I'm sure its just a bogus message.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

If y'all decide to take it into the dealership, let me know! That is where I can help.

Keep me posted via PM,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Get notified of new replies

To Bogus Tire flat warning

Old 09-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

I was getting an intermittent false 'Flat Tire' message about once a week too. The display indicated '0' PSI for that wheel. Since I was replacing the tires anyway, I had all the sensors replaced. They were 7 years old so the batteries were probably on their way out. No more Flat Tire messages.

BTW, insist on Schrader OEM replacements. There are a lot of "Universal Fit" replacements on the market: just a couple of part numbers that are supposed to work in all applications. Stick with the OEM brand and avoid future headaches. (Speaking from experience)
Old 09-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Cratchet
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

I had that happen 68 miles after I picked it up from the museum. Scared the crap out of me.
I got out of the car and checked the tire and it looked like it was OK.
As soon as I drove off it went back to normal. 20,000 miles later it has never done it again.

Mike
Old 09-11-2013, 01:25 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

depending on how old the car is, it is either the battery to the sensor going dead (normal and time to change them) or stray RF signal (police , radio ...)

Quick Reply: Bogus Tire flat warning