C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Top

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Default Painted Top

I am looking at a 2010 3LT that is gray. It has a glass top. I don't really want a glass top. The dealer that has the car says they have painted the glass top for owners that do not want the glass. Has anyone else done or heard of this? Even with the top painted, without insulation, won't it still get hot?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:00 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

It is polycarbonate, not glass. I would think that heat would depend on the color you paint it. Personally, I don't notice any particular heat with the polycarbonate roof panel. I also have a (silver) painted top but it has never been on the car. If the car is parked in 100 degree sun for hours, sure it will be hot, but the AC is cooling a pretty small interior volume and the inside cools down quickly. The flip side is that the poly roof is light weight, easy to take off and put on by yourself, and gives you plenty of light inside the car. My painted roof will stay stored under a spare bed...
Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CaryBob
It is polycarbonate, not glass. I would think that heat would depend on the color you paint it. Personally, I don't notice any particular heat with the polycarbonate roof panel. I also have a (silver) painted top but it has never been on the car. If the car is parked in 100 degree sun for hours, sure it will be hot, but the AC is cooling a pretty small interior volume and the inside cools down quickly. The flip side is that the poly roof is light weight, easy to take off and put on by yourself, and gives you plenty of light inside the car.
My problem is my skin does not do well with lots of sun. So if I can cover up I am better off. The car is gray but I am afraid heat may transfer through the top. But, I really do not know.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:07 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

I would buy a body-color roof panel somewhere and if necessary have it painted to match the car. The poly roof can be sold on the forum or elsewhere and has a good market since it fits any color car. Painting the poly is risky. You need only buy the panel, not the whole roof assembly.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:09 PM
tnfan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 71 Likes on 31 Posts

You might want to check out some of the forum vendors for a roof/solar panel shade. This would probably solve your concerns for minimum cost. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 PM
doubleD
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Your car probably came with a painted top also when new. The glass top is the option top. I would not let them paint my glass top. I would ask them to get me a painted top not a glass top painted. They can get it a lot cheaper than you can. Ask what happened to the painted top that came with your car.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=CaryBob;1585118663]I would buy a body-color roof panel somewhere and if necessary have it painted to match the car. The poly roof can be sold on the forum or elsewhere and has a good market since it fits any color car. Painting the poly is risky. You need only buy the panel, not the whole roof assembly.[/

I have heard the roof panel is expensive because you to get the latches and everything else to make the complete assembly. Am I confusing this with something else. If this is true isn't it pretty expensive?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:30 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

On a hot day the Poly roof will bake you like a chicken in the oven. That said you can get a liner with suction cups that will block all of the sun. I have the split design so I can leave on side open if I want more light but not directly on me. I think I paid around 165.00 for the liner.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by traderfjp
On a hot day the Poly roof will bake you like a chicken in the oven. That said you can get a liner with suction cups that will block all of the sun. I have the split design so I can leave on side open if I want more light but not directly on me. I think I paid around 165.00 for the liner.
Who carries the liner? Does it look cheap? Sorry to be blunt.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 10-07-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by doubleD
Your car probably came with a painted top also when new. The glass top is the option top. I would not let them paint my glass top. I would ask them to get me a painted top not a glass top painted. They can get it a lot cheaper than you can. Ask what happened to the painted top that came with your car.
The dealer said the car came only with a glass top. It never had a painted top.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:57 PM
tnfan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Who carries the liner? Does it look cheap? Sorry to be blunt.
Here is a forum vendor that has one:

http://www.topflightrepro.com/corvet...products.shtml

BTW I have no affiliation with this vendor.

You might want to do a search as there is a thread or two on the forum regarding the shades. I do not have one installed so cannot comment on how they look installed.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Thanks.
Has anyone tried this?
Old 10-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Jimbo 89
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by traderfjp
I have both roof panels, and I can tell u first hand about the heat coming thru the glass panel, especially down here in Fl. I plan on using the glass panel this Winter. I would get a solid panel, it has much more insulation.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:12 PM
tnfan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks.
Has anyone tried this?
OK I did the search for you. here is a thread that might help you.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...headliner.html
Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 PM
rollin18
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's funny how sooo many people keep calling the clear POLY roof top "glass" hehe
OLD school..
Old 10-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tnfan
OK I did the search for you. here is a thread that might help you.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...headliner.html
That helps a lot. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2013, 11:33 PM
tnfan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

That helps a lot. Thanks!
You are welcome!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Slare
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I would not paint it. That would destroy what is the more valuable top (clear vs. painted) and it wouldn't look right from the inside, either.

Buy the sun shade. If that does not work put an ad up in the parts section to swap for a matching painted top. If the clear top is in good shape, it will not take long to find a buyer. Or, you can also buy any C6 top and have it painted ~$300, which is what I did, because I wanted to have both tops. If you don't care about the color, you should be able to find a used top for a couple hundred bucks or less. It cost me $400 total ($150 for a used top and $250 for a paint job) and now I have both tops complete. You might even get lucky and find one that is the right color.

If the dealer you are looking at has a body shop, maybe they'll cut you a deal and commit to paint one if you bring a panel in, just get it in writing. Very little cost to them.

Michigan is different than CA, but I can tell you I've used that painted top maybe twice. It is quieter, but the clear top opens the car up, a lot. If the sun ever bothered me I'd just get the shades. It will be a selling point when I go to sell the car but in reality it was a complete waste of effort and $$ for me. Looks neat hanging on the garage wall, I guess.

Last edited by Slare; 10-08-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Painted Top

Quick Reply: Painted Top