C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded Clutch Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Cyber2010
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dreaded Clutch Issues

Yesterday I backed the Corvette out of the garage to wash it (hadn't washed after previous ride, this was likely last chance to wash before winter). I left it running idle in N with EBrake on while I washed it, to be sure everything got hot in the engine.

Washed, master blasted it dry and got back in to pull back in garage---clutch goes to the floor and doesn't come back up. I can pull it up and it 'snaps' back into place, but next press it goes to the floor and stays. So odd it would be fine backing out and 30 minutes later it's broken.

I turned it off, left in neutral and pushed into garage. Today I bought clutch and brake fluid from Chevy dealer and used the Ranger Protocol to change the fluid. It took a few iterations but the fluid is now clean, but the clutch is doing the same thing.

From everything I've seen, it's now down to a trip to the dealer; but I'm hoping a last-ditch post here may bring out a few other ideas to try....is there any mechanical linkage or spring or something else I can check on?

Thanks guys and gals!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Cyber2010
Pro

TTT for one more try...
Old 11-05-2013, 08:24 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Just to clarify, you did the Ranger method during which you pumped the clutch pedal dozens of times and it never stayed on the floor? But now it does?

You said it "snaps back up" when you manually pull it up. That indicates the spring is still functioning.

From what you've said sounds like a bad master cylinder. If it is, it's a relatively easy replacement.

And only to give you a little more to think about here's what GM said about that basic issue:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/kens...al-effort.html
Old 11-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Cyber2010
Pro

Originally Posted by RicK T
Just to clarify, you did the Ranger method during which you pumped the clutch pedal dozens of times and it never stayed on the floor? But now it does?

You said it "snaps back up" when you manually pull it up. That indicates the spring is still functioning.

From what you've said sounds like a bad master cylinder. If it is, it's a relatively easy replacement.

And only to give you a little more to think about here's what GM said about that basic issue:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/kens...al-effort.html
Thank you for the reply Rick. I did the Ranger method AFTER the clutch pedal was already malfunctioning. I suctioned out the bad fluid, put new in, worked the pedal and the fluid got progressively better. I did this 3 times and the fluid went from bad bad bad to clear.

The spring and all clips and brackets appear to be in proper position and working order. When pushing down, the pedal has no resistance past what the spring provides---no hydraulic resistance. And then there is no upward force on the pedal that would push it back to normal "up" position.

So, yeah, by everything I've read it's a bad MC. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something easy. Hoping against hope I guess...

I'm pretty much down to debating whether to install a new MC myself (and maybe use aftermarket) or let the dealer monkey with it.

Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate it.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:46 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Tick Performance used to be a vendor on here, and had what some called a premium MC. You may want to look them up as an alternative to orig. eqpmt. or auto store brand. Probably not as inexpensive as the auto store variety, or Rock Auto that sells them less expensively. You may be able to get a good deal here from one of our GM parts vendors if you want to stay stock.

Get notified of new replies

To Dreaded Clutch Issues

Quick Reply: Dreaded Clutch Issues