C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 > C5... why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:40 AM
ZoLOW
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having built a nitrous c5z and selling it this past summer and picking up a blown 2008 z51 c6. I do not think you could get me to go back to a c5. I loved my c5z but all around my c6 is just a better car. C6 has more power but feels more planted and it is more comfortable.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:06 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,605 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
Let's get back to the original point of the post.... I am not trying to compare looks of the two vehicles.

From strictly a _performance and driving experience perspective_, why would you prefer a C6 over a C5? Also, assume that both vehicles for the sake of discussion make the same power.

Thank you for the constructive input.
My C6s drive better than the C5. But that could be because of the suspension - the 06 has coilover and the 427 has MRC. The seats in the C6 are better, IMO, for driving and the lights in the C6 are better for night driving. I could stay with a good driver in a C5Z at Spring Mountain driving a C6Z51. Could never beat him, but he was really good - stayed close though.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:37 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

I sincerely appreciate the responses.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:54 PM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NormWild
If you are modifying both vehicles, and taking out the body styles, than the short answer is, "nothing". That's why I always get a chuckle out of threads comparing models as one is superior over the other. C5, C6,C7 all have the same suspension geometry, same motor placement, push rod V8, same basic overall "design". You can fancy things up by talking about chassis stiffness, interior, technology bells & whistles, or intricacies of the differences between LS1, LS2, LS3, LT1, but once you start to work on the motor and go FI none of it means diddly squat. How many crazy fast LS1's are running around on the road? TONS. You can upgrade dampers and breaks in a weekend.

You have to understand this forum is mostly people who don't go beyond exhaust and floor mats when "modifying".

The ZR1 is a special vehicle because it is built for boost from the factory and has some really nice high end upgraded components to support the platform. That's the only Vette worth trading up to IMO.
Personally I like the look of the C6 better, primarily the rear end, but I still admire a really well done C5, black and low those things still look nasty.
Thank you.

Having had C3-4-5 and now a C6, I completely agree with you.

Going from the C3 to the C4 showed serious structural changes as did going from the C4 to the C5. But no matter the marketing fluff and the hype from the magazines, the C5-6 and now the 7 are structurally very, very, similar.

Certainly there has been improvement to the transmission, steering rack and engine, changes that could likely be duplicated in any of the models to get the same effect. Front and rear clips seem to be the only significant body changes, along with the headlights.

But from a performance standpoint, as long as you are starting with a small block Chevy and the same chassis layout and suspension, you're not going to get a radically different performance envelope.

Not to say that all those C7 buyers and magazine writers who say the C6 was OK but the C7 worlds better are full of it, but a hard look at the cars doesn't bear it out.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:10 PM
whitehooptie
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I traded my C5 for a C6Z. That is the only trade that I would've done. I have never liked the C6 cars as there was no real reason to go from a late 04 to a C6. Even modified, I would've kept the C5.

Now the C6Z is a different story.....
Old 12-03-2013, 02:10 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have owned the C4,C5,and C6...(although the 6 is a Z...)
Technology my friend is the quick answer....each year the many improvements in suspension, brakes, electrical components, engine,etc...succintly the 6 drives and handles a whole bunch better and I bet the 7 improves on that
Old 12-03-2013, 04:33 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 660 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
Let's get back to the original point of the post.... I am not trying to compare looks of the two vehicles.

From strictly a _performance and driving experience perspective_, why would you prefer a C6 over a C5? Also, assume that both vehicles for the sake of discussion make the same power.

That's why I mentioned the headlights. Visibility is a big part of the driving experience.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:39 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
[/B]That's why I mentioned the headlights. Visibility is a big part of the driving experience.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:30 AM
jmmy
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had one C5 and two so far C6's both 3LT's stock.
I find the 6 a little more comfortable can't say exactly why, it just is.
But the lights in the 6 are much better and I like to drive at night. I never understood how Chevy got away with those C5 headlights.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jimb100
Thank you.

Having had C3-4-5 and now a C6, I completely agree with you.

Going from the C3 to the C4 showed serious structural changes as did going from the C4 to the C5. But no matter the marketing fluff and the hype from the magazines, the C5-6 and now the 7 are structurally very, very, similar.

Certainly there has been improvement to the transmission, steering rack and engine, changes that could likely be duplicated in any of the models to get the same effect. Front and rear clips seem to be the only significant body changes, along with the headlights.

But from a performance standpoint, as long as you are starting with a small block Chevy and the same chassis layout and suspension, you're not going to get a radically different performance envelope.

Not to say that all those C7 buyers and magazine writers who say the C6 was OK but the C7 worlds better are full of it, but a hard look at the cars doesn't bear it out.

I completely agree about your take on C5/C6 being so similar. The C7, considering it is just a base model, is almost a big enough difference to group it separately. It really is the start of a new platform, and it will be an amazing generation. From a structural standpoint, the chassis is extremely rigid, and we've only seen the base model. At the end of the day though, they are all awesome cars

Pfadt Race Engineering
888-972-2464
info@pfadtracing.com

Old 12-05-2013, 09:19 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
I completely agree about your take on C5/C6 being so similar. The C7, considering it is just a base model, is almost a big enough difference to group it separately. It really is the start of a new platform, and it will be an amazing generation. From a structural standpoint, the chassis is extremely rigid, and we've only seen the base model. At the end of the day though, they are all awesome cars

Pfadt Race Engineering
888-972-2464
info@pfadtracing.com

Start of a new platform just because of chassis stiffness? It seems like every new model's chassis is X% more rigid than last years, just like the new model iPhone getting a faster processor.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 AM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

to me the c6 interior is just a much nicer place to be (c7 is even better) and just about every difference between to t he 2 cars i prefer the c6
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I owned a C5Z and I own a C6Z and here is why C6 > C5

1. Interior. While not heaps better it is more confined and not as crappy quality.
2. Automatic headlights. No more flipping them on manually.
3. Wide body panels.
4. More options with HUD
5. Push start.
6. Automatic lock and unlock without pushing any buttons.
7. More room for storage.
8. Push button doors.
9. Windows go in the weatherstrip. Not outside where leaks can happen.

Thats about what I can come up with for now.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NormWild
Start of a new platform just because of chassis stiffness? It seems like every new model's chassis is X% more rigid than last years, just like the new model iPhone getting a faster processor.
More than that...the electronics, interior upgrades, overall feel, and yes an incredible chassis. With the "Z" model of the C7, we will have an absolutely amazing car. When I drive our C7 here, I can tell this chassis is not going to be a weak point.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:14 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
More than that...the electronics, interior upgrades, overall feel, and yes an incredible chassis. With the "Z" model of the C7, we will have an absolutely amazing car. When I drive our C7 here, I can tell this chassis is not going to be a weak point.

I'll take your word for it, you guys are the track experts. Personally I really don't care about electronics and interiors, if I did I would go buy a luxury sedan. Same longitudinal leaf/shock set up, not sure what you could do to a C7 that you couldn't do to a C6, I'm sure you guys have already slapped coil overs on your C7. Also never knew the C6 chassis was a weak point.

Last edited by NormWild; 12-05-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: C6 > C5... why?