C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrogen

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 03:05 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by victorf
Informations from Edmunds, Consumereports are just opinions written from people no different than the nay sayers here. They meant nothing. Funny thing is: always the same "old dogs that never learned any new tricks"!

One thing for sure, regardless of free or what not, if they say nitrogen doesn't work in tire to maintained the pressure for longer interval then normal compressed air, then I know for sure, they have never use it. Simple, right!?

Consumer Reports was a little more than opinion.....did you bother to read the results of their controlled test?
Old 12-12-2013, 03:11 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I tried it, and really wasnt worth the bother unless your running a long race
Old 12-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Roddy1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unixcorn
So dried, compressed air should be identical to Nitrogen if they are both dried to the same degree? And/or is nitrogen extracted from air already dry?
When you extract the nitrogen, you don't extract the water molecules so it is dry. If you could get compressed air with no water it would be functionally identical. I would guess it is easier to extract nitrogen than to get air that dry. I do have a filter and drier on my compressed air in my garage, but I still see a lb or 2 difference hot to cold in tire pressure.

Last edited by Roddy1; 12-12-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:21 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Roddy1
When you extract the nitrogen, you don't extract the water molecules so it is dry. If you could get compressed air with no water it would be functionally identical. I would guess it is easier to extract nitrogen than to get air that dry. I do have a filter and drier on my compressed air in my garage, but I still see a lb or 2 difference hot to cold in tire pressure.
My garage is similarly equipped and with my '11 Honda + vintage '90 FZR 1000, using similarly "dried" compressed air, experiencing similar differential results, all too often!

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Consumer Reports was a little more than opinion.....did you bother to read the results of their controlled test?
No, Randy, I am not a big consumer so I don't track Consumer's report and missed their controlled test results.

My stead fast positive Nitrogen use "opinion" is based on having three cars that are using "Free Costco Nitrogen", comparing with the above mentioned two examples.

With the three using "Free Costco Nitrogen". Two cars are before TPMS requirement and the Vette with TPMS. Typically, air lost is when I check tire pressure -out more of curiosity/concern, since the last filled, long ago - and what little bleeds out from the bleeder button. Rarely have to top out, I felt sometimes, I should just leave that alone.

----

In a nut shell, my "opinion" on Nitrogen's ability for longer air pressure retention is not based on scientific or researched write ups. Rather, actual personal use experience, however non scientific but I am happy and glad experiencing positive results!

Old 12-12-2013, 05:30 PM
tmd937
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

My garage is similarly equipped and with my '11 Honda + vintage '90 FZR 1000, using similarly "dried" compressed air, experiencing similar differential results, all too often!

No, Randy, I am not a big consumer so I don't track Consumer's report and missed their controlled test results.

My stead fast positive Nitrogen use "opinion" is based on having three cars that are using "Free Costco Nitrogen", comparing with the above mentioned two examples.

With the three using "Free Costco Nitrogen". Two cars are before TPMS requirement and the Vette with TPMS. Typically, air lost is when I check tire pressure -out more of curiosity/concern, since the last filled, long ago - and what little bleeds out from the bleeder button. Rarely have to top out, I felt sometimes, I should just leave that alone.

----

In a nut shell, my "opinion" on Nitrogen's ability for longer air pressure retention is not based on scientific or researched write ups. Rather, actual personal use experience, however non scientific but I am happy and glad experiencing positive results!

What he said !
Old 12-12-2013, 06:56 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Gentlemen, Gentlemen, Gentlemen.....If it is convenient, free who the heck cares if it isn't 100% dry? Point is..... those who think it is snake oil....don't use it..... and don't hassle people who do.....It causes no harm....so where is the harm?.....now on to some other exciting stuff....remember that oponions are like...........well never mind
Old 12-12-2013, 10:59 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,235 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
No, he'd rather believe the aluminum siding salesman....
Old 12-12-2013, 11:03 PM
grayline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

old post... wasting precious Money:beatdeadhors e::beatdea dhorse:
Old 12-12-2013, 11:07 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 109 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

My car had nitrogen in it when I bought it. When I replaced the Goodyears, regular old air was just fine for me.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:12 PM
bpGx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes it does because nitrogen molecules are bigger
Old 12-13-2013, 01:11 AM
bigsteff
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My vettes have been garage queens and before I started using nitrogen, I had to top off tire pressure multiple times per year. Two vettes ago, I started using nitrogen. To date, I haven't added air to my GS tires since filling them with nitrogen 16 - 18 months ago.

I'm not telling you what I heard, I'm telling you what I know from personal experience!
my2cents
Old 12-13-2013, 01:59 PM
victorf
Drifting

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
No, he'd rather believe the aluminum siding salesman....
Business Information
Location Type Single Location
State of Incorporation South Carolina
Annual Revenue Estimate $500,000 to $1 million
SIC Code 399903, Manufacturers
NAICS Code 339999, All Other Misc Manufacturing
Employees 5 to 9
2 **
Company contact
Tony Damian, Owner
Anthony Domian, Owner
Debbie Medeiros-Domia, Owner
Debbie Domian, Information Technology
Anthony Domian, Owner
Business Categories
Tool and Die Makers in Fort Mill, SC
Mfg Dies/Tools/Jigs/Fixtures
All Other Miscellaneous Manufacturing

Is that your company?

If that is, then we have something in common! Toolmaker typically are meticulous and precise to a tee, do you agree?

Especially after 39 years as a Nuclear Toolmaker, factual dealings ingrained me to be skeptical with what I read, hear or claims. Repeated results from my four cars and one motorcycle satisfied me as proof.

---

Tell me - Have you ever tried Nitrogen?

Hmmm....You don't have to response - I already know the answer, right?!

Old 12-13-2013, 04:28 PM
olefam
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once again, opinions are like belly buttons - everybody's got one. This question was raised to Doug Fehan (Chevrolet Corvette Racing Team manager) last August at the Road America races. Doug stated the key to maintaining proper tire pressure for their racing team was to keep moisture out of the tires to the greatest extent possible. The racing team apparently uses some form of super dry air for their tires. Nitrogen is a good option for those who want to stabilize the air pressure as much as possible in their road cars. If it isn't a big priority for you, use conventional air. If you're seeking 10/10ths performance (or as close to it as possible) then Nitrogen may be the way to go.
Of course, this is just Doug's opinion. But based on his track record, I'd say it is worth listening to...
Glen
Old 12-13-2013, 04:56 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I use nitrogen in all 4 of my vehicles and will never switch back to air. My time is worth something and when that is factored in nitrogen is cheaper than air. I'll gladly pay the one time fee to fill the tires with nitrogen, never a fee to add extra. I like the convienence of not having to bother with a compressor.

Also the performance of nitrogen during HPDE's is excellent.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Fastcat3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 2012 Camaro SS locally, so I get free nitrogen. My C6 has old fashioned air. It has been a pain in the tookus to have to go to the dealer to top off the Pirelli shoes on the SS at least 6 times a year. I don't add air to the vette that often. My next car will not be purchased locally and it will likely be a C7, so it will be filled with air by me at home when needed. I must be getting faulty nitrogen if some of you can go 16 months or more without adding nitrogen.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,278 Likes on 936 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Fastcat3
I must be getting faulty nitrogen if some of you can go 16 months or more without adding nitrogen.
Either that, or the ambient temperature where they live never varies more than 10 to 15 degrees.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:59 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Business Information
Location Type Single Location
State of Incorporation South Carolina
Annual Revenue Estimate $500,000 to $1 million
SIC Code 399903, Manufacturers
NAICS Code 339999, All Other Misc Manufacturing
Employees 5 to 9
2 **
Company contact
Tony Damian, Owner
Anthony Domian, Owner
Debbie Medeiros-Domia, Owner
Debbie Domian, Information Technology
Anthony Domian, Owner
Business Categories
Tool and Die Makers in Fort Mill, SC
Mfg Dies/Tools/Jigs/Fixtures
All Other Miscellaneous Manufacturing

Is that your company?

If that is, then we have something in common! Toolmaker typically are meticulous and precise to a tee, do you agree?

Especially after 39 years as a Nuclear Toolmaker, factual dealings ingrained me to be skeptical with what I read, hear or claims. Repeated results from my four cars and one motorcycle satisfied me as proof.

---

Tell me - Have you ever tried Nitrogen?

Hmmm....You don't have to response - I already know the answer, right?!

Not my company....I work for another company, we make tapered roller bearings for more than a hundred years. I do have machinist/grinders working for me. Tooling and Gauging is my main gig.

I use the nitrogen in regular air. I check my air about every two weeks and adjust it to the average daily temp so 100% nitrogen would be a waste for me even if it wasn't a waste.

happy trails..

Get notified of new replies

To Nitrogen

Old 12-14-2013, 11:06 AM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The dealers simply have found another way to make money off you.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:07 PM
victorf
Drifting

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Not my company....I work for another company, we make tapered roller bearings for more than a hundred years. I do have machinist/grinders working for me. Tooling and Gauging is my main gig.

I use the nitrogen in regular air. I check my air about every two weeks and adjust it to the average daily temp so 100% nitrogen would be a waste for me even if it wasn't a waste.

happy trails..
I googled "Hawk" and that company came up, gave you the benefit of the doubt.

In my past life, suffice to say, I have worked with practically all known metals under the sun in one form or the others, with the last six years, instead of working with my hands, I was selected and put in charged of a program, all the while - maintaining the proud local motto of "KEEPING SHIPS FIT TO FIGHT". If I was to just do one thing, like in production, I would not have lasted 39 years!

Back to the subject, maybe its the moderate climate, I just go with the DIC on the C6 and the other two cars with Nitrogen, I don't even bother checking tire psi. Depends on where I parked, the only time I check is when noticing a tire looks a little "flat" and when check, verified most time than not, an optical illusion.

And, by the way, thank you all for your tax dollars, without which, I would not have received the stringent training over the years, which empower the precision required in keeping up with my Motorsports hobby in my second childhood!

Old 12-14-2013, 02:51 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

I googled "Hawk" and that company came up, gave you the benefit of the doubt.

In my past life, suffice to say, I have worked with practically all known metals under the sun in one form or the others, with the last six years, instead of working with my hands, I was selected and put in charged of a program, all the while - maintaining the proud local motto of "KEEPING SHIPS FIT TO FIGHT". If I was to just do one thing, like in production, I would not have lasted 39 years!

Back to the subject, maybe its the moderate climate, I just go with the DIC on the C6 and the other two cars with Nitrogen, I don't even bother checking tire psi. Depends on where I parked, the only time I check is when noticing a tire looks a little "flat" and when check, verified most time than not, an optical illusion.

And, by the way, thank you all for your tax dollars, without which, I would not have received the stringent training over the years, which empower the precision required in keeping up with my Motorsports hobby in my second childhood!

On my Vette the lefts read 3 psi higher than the rights on the DIC and I use a very accurate gage. It reads that difference no matter what I do. Hopefully re-setting them will help.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen