C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you have to "defend" owning a Vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:06 PM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Complete misconception that you have to be "rich" to own a corvette. You have to prioritize having a corvette to have a corvette - that's it.

If you are secure in your priorities and decisions in life, you don't find the need to defend them to anyone.

Work hard to enjoy what you want, and enjoy the heck out of it. People who don't approve don't belong in your life anyways.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:55 PM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
Complete misconception that you have to be "rich" to own a corvette. You have to prioritize having a corvette to have a corvette - that's it.

If you are secure in your priorities and decisions in life, you don't find the need to defend them to anyone.

Work hard to enjoy what you want, and enjoy the heck out of it. People who don't approve don't belong in your life anyways.

Could not have said it better!
I bought my first Corvette (a 74 coupe) when I was a junior in high-school in 75 using money made from cutting lawns and working at Pizza Hut. I paid cash and worked for what I wanted while on the honor roll and varsity sports. I've had one ever since and they became much more affordable as the income increased. I often wonder if I would have worked as hard at being who I wanted to be had I not rewarded myself from the start.
I just tell them I bought it instead of joining the country club. (Which I don't criticize)
Old 03-05-2014, 05:59 PM
Jefe's GS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in agreement with most here.

About ten years ago or so I was pretty heavy into Jeeps. I spent a lot on mods. Enough to purchase a well equipped, low mileage, late model current Corvette. TEN+ years ago. Which ended up with a trailer and a truck to pull it. My mother gave me a lecture on my "toy". I then asked her how much did they spend on their 5th wheel RV and new diesel truck to pull it. I mentioned boats and Harleys for others as well. She saw things a little differently. It's just hard for some people to see your extra car as a toy when it fits between toy and practicality. Motorcycles, boats, and RVs are looked at differently. They don't see us getting 'pleasure' form 'just' a car.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Senecagreen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just not a practical buy. It's like buying a motorcycle, everyone knows its a toy...

A selfish purchase in the eyes of many for sure...
Old 03-05-2014, 06:57 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Senecagreen
It's just not a practical buy. It's like buying a motorcycle, everyone knows its a toy...

So whats practical in life? What kind of house, car, clothing, vacation, hobby, is practical or acceptable?

The same thing can be said for just about anything other than the absolute necessities to sustain life.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Senecagreen
Racer

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
So whats practical in life? What kind of house, car, clothing, vacation, hobby, is practical or acceptable?

The same thing can be said for just about anything other than the absolute necessities to sustain life.
Society wants to modify your behavior so you conform to some ideal of what's politically correct for the greater good.

A brand new Prius costs more than a used Vette yet you would be praised for being sensitive to the environment if you drive one of those.

I always give it a little gas when I go by one of those in my 2500HD with the 8.1L gas motor lol

Look at the CAFE standards the gov has set for the future. What is the gas guzzler tax? Basically a fine for your un conformist purchase.

Your grand kids won't have the same choices you have today. Enjoy your Vette and to hell with what anyone thinks!!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:05 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

I don't
Old 03-06-2014, 09:51 AM
KC Slider
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp

Totally Correct. It is simply a priority decision. Everyone enjoys life differently, whether it is a boat, an RV, a Harley, etc.... If you want it and it makes you happy and you can afford it, just do it.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:28 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,110 Likes on 523 Posts

It can be quite practical. Car is not really expensive in 1LT form at least, it is durable, easy to work on, has lots of storage space, is cheap to insure and gets highway mpg that rivals many small so called economy cars.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:37 PM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Society wants to modify your behavior so you conform to some ideal of what's politically correct for the greater good.

A brand new Prius costs more than a used Vette yet you would be praised for being sensitive to the environment if you drive one of those.

I always give it a little gas when I go by one of those in my 2500HD with the 8.1L gas motor lol

Look at the CAFE standards the gov has set for the future. What is the gas guzzler tax? Basically a fine for your un conformist purchase.

Your grand kids won't have the same choices you have today. Enjoy your Vette and to hell with what anyone thinks!!
Both owner and co-owner of the company I work for drive pruises. My coworker just bought one and now "he's the man." I had a CTS-V prior with headers, cam, etc and the owner saw me outside once... you should have seen the death stare on his face as I rolled out with a smile and a wave

PS I'm still here at the company, IDC what they think of my car selection. I do my job and then some.

Wait, do people really care about the MPG this car gets and use that to their defense? You kiddin me??
Old 03-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I resemble this remark...

Old 03-06-2014, 02:52 PM
trawler
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Wants and needs. I need a roof over my head, food and clothes, but I wanted a Corvette. Who cares what they think, just remember, there are no luggage racks on a hearst.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:39 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have never defended driving a vette. Just say why do you care what I drive people.
I want one and can afford it.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:23 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Bet there's not many of those left on the road!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Stinger
Racer

I don't, just enjoy the ride
Old 03-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Markallamerican
Instructor

I dont "defend" owning it. Its a toy we enjoy
Old 03-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Svre46
Pro

I don't defend it. People think it's Daddy's car. I worked hard and wanted one. Not my fault they didn't.

Get notified of new replies

To Why do you have to "defend" owning a Vette

Old 03-06-2014, 06:37 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

In re: "Why do you have to "defend" owning a Vette"

I don't, why does anyone?
Old 03-06-2014, 06:43 PM
Senecagreen
Racer

Originally Posted by saplumr
Bet there's not many of those left on the road!
The guy at work with over 50k in his used super duty doesn't like my Vette and doesn't like my 2500HD cause my motor is bigger than his...lol

My son can't wait for his 454 to wear out so we can stroke it out to 502. My other son wants me to build the 427 rat motor I have and stick it in his car so it will be faster than his brothers once again.

Lots of fun watching them go at it at the drag strip in the cars we built together. I keep their cars running pretty close so it's more fun.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:36 PM
VETTENYC
Advanced

Originally Posted by tprice
Not a full year into my C6 and love it however one thing I have become a little "agitated" with is so many comments from friends/clients etc about driving a Vette

Wife and I were at breakfast Sunday am and one of my clients comes up to me and the "I am paying you too much $$$". Seems he saw us pulling up in our Vette. Then when I see him leave he and his wife go out and get in a fairly late model Mercedes SUV(not the little one either).

Have had quite a few comments like this, even sit on a local school board and several of the members driving high end MB or BMW's and have heard same remarks from them

I seldom ever drive my Vette to my office, did that one day last week and heard plenty of comments, worst from a guy getting in his $60K TRUCK

I guess they do not realize I bought a 5 yr old Vette or do most just perceive Vette's as being more expensive than they are

Wife and I looked long and hard and kept our 2002 Trailblazer and 04 Dodge 1500 4x4 truck. (most of the time folks see me in one of my drivers ed cars which are all Taurus's ). We see lot of our friends on HD's, she has no desire for one and would never ride on one, and we decided a Vette would be a much better mode of transportation for the 2 of us on trips and weekends.

I just grin and bare it but still have to admit I get a little irritated about some of the comments some times

Like most we work hard and by no means are well off, just 2 working adults that have grown kids and any where we go just the 2 of us in what ever we drive.

Neither of us is flashy or "mouthy" about what we have either

Is this common
Yeah...my gf's mom who may dislike me for being with her daughter as is but the story comes out about why do we need such expensive cars, i have a 750 bmw tho but she sees the vette as the pocket killer when un fact it's the other way around...even tho its paid off for now its still a problem, some people just dont" expect" to see someone with some things

Quick Reply: Why do you have to "defend" owning a Vette