C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Factory radio help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 10:17 PM
shawnaj7731
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Factory radio help!

Guys I need some help, I will explain..I have my factory stereo which is okay, sounds good but the Factory radio looks like crap & not a lot of options on it for equalization on it. I do not have factory Nav but on my doors its says BOSE by the speakers grills. I want to change out the factory head unit to an aftermarket unit. My buddy thinks they car has amplifier aleady built in for the factory head unit or on each speaker has a amp on it. He said If I change out my factory head radio it will sound like crap because the amp will not work with an aftermarket radio. I also read something similar somewhere. Is there a way to ad a aftermarket radio retaining the factory car amplifier or amps on the speakers? What will be needed? Where can I get the stuff from.

Last edited by shawnaj7731; 03-16-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:20 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I believe BOSE does in fact have amps on all speakers...
Old 03-16-2014, 11:00 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
I believe BOSE does in fact have amps on all speakers...
Save yourself a LOT of grief. Contact Dennis at DD Mods (a forum vendor). He has everything you need. I recently did exactly what you are considering. I too had a Bose radio without NAV. I now have a Kenwood unit that sounds awesome, has GARMiN navigation and has a backup camera. My only issue..and it is minor, is a Bluetooth problem. Check out DD mods website.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:21 AM
VETTENYC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnaj7731
Guys I need some help, I will explain..I have my factory stereo which is okay, sounds good but the Factory radio looks like crap & not a lot of options on it for equalization on it. I do not have factory Nav but on my doors its says BOSE by the speakers grills. I want to change out the factory head unit to an aftermarket unit. My buddy thinks they car has amplifier aleady built in for the factory head unit or on each speaker has a amp on it. He said If I change out my factory head radio it will sound like crap because the amp will not work with an aftermarket radio. I also read something similar somewhere. Is there a way to ad a aftermarket radio retaining the factory car amplifier or amps on the speakers? What will be needed? Where can I get the stuff from.
I have an 05, did the same thing, don't i repeat...don't modify only the head unit and not the speakers not only will it sound like crap but will blow out possible sooner than later .What i did was put in a kenwood head unit, change the speakers in the door problem is when you change from the bose in the door a heavier speaker to match with the head unit will now ratlle the doors and lose most of the base , if you put good speakers and the mids in your ear will be too loud in the rear, you have to get them to modify 10 inch or less mid speakers to fit your doors for mids and now place your subs in a box in the rear, with possible use of the rear speakers as lower mids.Make sure to use all new wiring , and save all old parts in case you want to sell the car later and replace factory
Old 03-17-2014, 05:43 PM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Save yourself a LOT of grief. Contact Dennis at DD Mods (a forum vendor). He has everything you need. I recently did exactly what you are considering. I too had a Bose radio without NAV. I now have a Kenwood unit that sounds awesome, has GARMiN navigation and has a backup camera. My only issue..and it is minor, is a Bluetooth problem. Check out DD mods website.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:53 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Any car stereo outlet should be able to help you, Crutchfields, etc
Old 03-17-2014, 09:17 PM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Check out the new Pioneer App Radio 3....looks like a great concept...mirrors your phone screen, goog nav, and everything onto your dash.....it is where everything is heading for sure...ask any car audio guy....
Old 03-18-2014, 12:53 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

By all means, contact Dennis at Double-D Mods.

The head unit/radio does not have any amplifiers or Bose-specific processing built in. The tone controls, simple as they are, are tailored for the Bose speakers though.

There is an amp in the passenger footwell for the Bose speakers that has the 'special' Bose EQ. The 10" speakers (quasi-subwoofers) in the doors, each have their amp attached to the speaker itself.

You can replace the head unit and keep the rest of the system until you're ready to take the much larger step of replacing the amps/speakers/power/etc.

Retaining all of the car's stock functions/chimes/etc. makes the C6 a bit more challenging than a typical car stereo swap. Fortunately, Dennis is the man.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:03 AM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

I have an 05 with kenwood deck nav backup cam Bluetooth everything work perfect

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 Factory radio help!

Quick Reply: 2005 Factory radio help!