C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sun visor hinge repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:33 AM
deepcj7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Instead of oil/grease...Dab some ChapStick or wax on it, won't drip and stays for a while.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 197 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Rem Oil. ??? Think guns.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Just some info for what it's worth.
As others mentioned, it's a good idea to lubricate the tiny hinge rods on the mirror cover.
But, .. I probably used/opened the cover on my driver Sun visor only 4 times in 5 years.
But one day I found one side of the tiny hinge broken
What I realized was the way the visor rests in the up position, the mirror cover presses against the targa top locking handle.
And, I have the home link buttons etc and use one of them for the garage door opener.
So, without realizing it, when pushing on the button however lightly, it was putting pressure on the mirror cover.
It eventually weakened and snapped the tiny plastic hinge rod molded into the mirror cover
Old 03-27-2014, 11:32 AM
Cluso01
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the post. I have the identical problem, so I'll certainly try this solution before springing for a whole new visor! The silicone spray tip is a good one, too! Thanks.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:55 PM
JJGOLD
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A stitch in time, I took heed to your post

Originally Posted by cclive
This is the key....if they are not lubricated and then a woman opens the mirror for the first time in 6 months...snap!
I just went out to the garage to check on the visor mirrors, and checked by using both hands at the bottom of the mirrors to open slowly................ just the slightest movement (before the light comes on) , I heard the squeaky creaky sound. Stopped and got a bright flashlight to see if the hinges were visible with the mirror closed. The hinges can be seen at the top about one inch in from each side. Lubricated each one with Sil-glyde using a small sharp toothpick to apply the grease into the hinges liberally . After lubing, tried moving the mirror very slowly, back and forth until they opened without a noise and very smoothly. Thanks for the tip, I feel as though you just saved me a lot of grief and money. God bless you.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Received the new cover today and installed it
Cover is as good quality as the OEM, if not better, and slightly beefed up around the little hinge area.
Putting it on was a bit tricky as I tried using a pick tool exactly like in the video.
But the diameter of the pick tool is rather thick diameter which didn't leave any room to slide the hinge into the hook with the tool in the way.
So I used a piece of 1/32" dia wire, looped it over the hook and pulled on it to make room for the hinge cover to slide in.
Once the hinge was in place, pulled the wire out and it worked like a charm
Hope this helps anyone that might get this cover
Old 03-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
Received the new cover today and installed it
Cover is as good quality as the OEM, if not better, and slightly beefed up around the little hinge area.
Putting it on was a bit tricky as I tried using a pick tool exactly like in the video.
But the diameter of the pick tool is rather thick diameter which didn't leave any room to slide the hinge into the hook with the tool in the way.
So I used a piece of 1/32" dia wire, looped it over the hook and pulled on it to make room for the hinge cover to slide in.
Once the hinge was in place, pulled the wire out and it worked like a charm
Hope this helps anyone that might get this cover
Thanks. Mine gets delivered today. I'll try your technique.
Jeff

Quick Reply: Sun visor hinge repair