C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minor irritant with seatbelt

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Minor irritant with seatbelt

Anyone else have this issue, and perhaps found a solution? The seat belts in the C6 seem tighter than my C5 was. For a while there, I used a binder clip to hold the belt about 1/2" slack. A great deal more comfortable, but a real pain to keep putting on and off. Now I've bought some pads that help, but they are still really tight.

Has anyone found a way to reduce the tension a bit? I am not advocating not wearing a belt, just want a bit of comfort. I saw a post about extenders, I wonder if they would help?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If yours keeps tightening up every time you move or hit a bump, and never relaxes; then you are getting into the Cinch mode which is designed that way to hold you in the seat for performance driving. Just be more careful not to pull the belt all the way out when putting it on.

But if you aren't in Cinch, and the retracting spring is just a little too strong for your taste, then I don't know of any solution.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:38 PM
POPN427
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Salad,,,,,Brisk Walk

but really,,,,,,can you lean forward with the belt on while not moving ? That would eliminate the Clinch mode comment,,,which was a good one,,,,just trying to eliminate stuff,,,,

Is it just tight or grabbing you ?

good luck
Old 03-24-2014, 09:48 PM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a different issue.....the metal kinds digs in to my hip(and Im not overweight at all) and thought maybe the extender would raise it that little bit to give me some clearance.....mine doesn't cinch up that I have noticed....but I haven't had it long enough to really push it to its limits..
Old 03-24-2014, 09:49 PM
cegusa
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Google Loopo. I have these in all my cars. They work great and very inexpensive. I even have one I carry when I travel for using in rental cars.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:37 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You can get a seven inch extender for free from your GM Dealer.

This shifts the buckle over and reduces the strain/belt digging into your neck/etc.

It also gives you a bit more room to move before you fully extend the belt and enter cinch mode.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:57 PM
ODEN2
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a "steel shoulder" replacement joint which makes connecting the
corvette seat belt a major ordeal. The extender solves that problem and as an added benefit, the belt fit is much more comfortable!

Go to the dealer parts dept. and order one or two, they ar free (safety item).

charles
Old 03-25-2014, 09:49 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the comments. Not cinch mode, and not really overweight, though I could stand to lose about 10.....maybe being 6.1 has something to do with it. Vettes are at their limits for my size.

It just holds constantly tight, too much tension that starts to wear a bit on the shoulders on longer drives. Think I'll try the extender and see if that extra lenght helps reduce it.

Cheers!
Old 04-18-2014, 03:12 PM
rfkirk
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 490 Likes on 237 Posts

I have a slightly different issue with my seat belt. The tongue that plugs into the seat belt receptacle digs into my side. The tongue piece is wider than the belt itself to allow for the webbing to adjust thru, it seems that the fixed base part is positioned such that this wider part digs into me.

Any solutions?

Get notified of new replies

To Minor irritant with seatbelt

Quick Reply: Minor irritant with seatbelt