C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Darn it!

Old 04-05-2014, 06:07 PM
stp357
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Darn it!

The one time I pulled into a parking space nose first, I scraped my plastic OEM splitter on the curb! 99.999999% of the time, I back into a space, but the traffic at the local convenience store prevented that.

So, anyone have any tips or tricks to "buff out", or make the scrapes disappear? This splitter is less than 2 months old!
Old 04-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

When pulling in I stop way before I think I need to. I'm sure a sanding disc will smooth out the scrapes
Old 04-05-2014, 08:04 PM
ODEN2
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Curb Alert!

CURB ALERT!

CURB ALERT!!!

Did I mention curb alert?

charles
Old 04-05-2014, 08:39 PM
markmo
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I scraped mine pretty good one day driving up a slight incline. Most of the damage was on the bottom but there was quite a rash. I used a course flat file on it and in 10 minutes you'd never know it had been hurt.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:02 PM
corvettejack
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like you usually back in but if I can,t I usually leave a couple of feet when I get out if it looks to silly I just get back in and pull up a couple I,d rather look like a dope than be a dope and hit the splitter not meaning by any means that your a dope sh#t happens just leave extra extra room even if it means getting back in to pull up a foot or 2
Old 04-05-2014, 11:17 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettejack
I like you usually back in but if I can,t I usually leave a couple of feet when I get out if it looks to silly I just get back in and pull up a couple I,d rather look like a dope than be a dope and hit the splitter not meaning by any means that your a dope sh#t happens just leave extra extra room even if it means getting back in to pull up a foot or 2
+1

lisa
Old 04-05-2014, 11:21 PM
morrisk64
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
When pulling in I stop way before I think I need to. I'm sure a sanding disc will smooth out the scrapes
Same here, I always stop way before I think I need to, then after I park I get and see I'm only about 2 inches from the curb..lol. Lots of close calls with this car, front end is longer than what it seems when parking
Old 04-05-2014, 11:35 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I just did the same thing earlier today. I didn't notice the concrete curb stop was at an angle. Looks like someone pulled it out of it's original spot. Curb alert may not have picked it up due to the angle. I just wet sanded and am laying down some more paint and clear coat. It will look as good as new.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:05 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

At the end of every truck driving championship is a front line stop. It is scored by how close you get but go past with the front edge of the bumper it's 0. There are several tricks used to know when to stop. One is to sit in different trucks with the front bumper on a line that continues left. Sit in the normal driving position and look at where the line crosses the A pillar. The front stop line is short so you need to find a imperfection in the pavement straight out from it in the pre walk so I don't normally use that method. But in a parking space there is normally something in line with the curb like more curb. If you go to a parking lot and get someone to line up the front of your car with a line, and notice where it crosses some part of your drivers window frame, you will know when you are going to hit. Make sure the car is at a perfect 90 to the line when setting up to find the mark. Then practice driving up to the line and stopping as close as you can. It takes a little practice to learn how to do it. In the old days the line was long but as everyone knew the trick the scores were all about the same. Now the line is shorter than the width of the truck so I use the time count method from when it vanishes over the hood. That how ever won't work as well here as the speed is critical for it to work. I know where that mark is on all my vehicles and can stop 1 or 2 inches from a curb if I want to. I stop back about a foot though. Hope this helps someone here.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:09 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by ODEN2
Curb Alert!

CURB ALERT!

CURB ALERT!!!

Did I mention curb alert?

charles
I GOT MINE!
First mod I did to my Vette. You gotta get one.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

A few months ago, I miss judged the angle of a concrete apron.

I hit it going forward at about 3 miles an hour, and then slowly backed down, scraping the splitter on the way down as well. Urgggh!

I picked up a package of assorted sandpaper, very course to very fine grit, at Wal-Mart.

I used the coarse grit to remove the ugly ragged edge along the bottom of the splitter, and then increasingly finer grits to finish the job.

After I was done, I gave it a coat of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, and it looks absolutely perfect, once again. Without a magnifying glass, you'd never be able to tell it was damaged.

Here are a few photos taken afterwards...
Attached Images   
Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 AM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

I have yet to hit my front splitter although im sure I will but my side skirts are taking a beating it seams every time I hit something its with the side skirts
Old 04-06-2014, 12:18 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

My splitter will drag during "Spirited" driving on entry to an uphill turn under braking. Both on my 07 Z and 13 GS. The GS is worse than the Z. Both are stock ride height. (GS has Mag Ride)

I use a 3M sanding block, then hit it with some 303 Protectant.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:48 PM
stp357
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys!

Get notified of new replies

To Darn it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Darn it!