C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying a zr1, tricky Carfax

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 12:08 AM
smokemake
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a zr1, tricky Carfax

I m buying a 2012 zr1 where the car fax shows on line 3 " transmission replaced"
This is two weeks before the car was sold the very first time
Original title is from FL and current title is in NY
This car s been on sale for a while

In the last line or report, it shows sold to another dealer last month but its still on sale from the NY dealer
Old 04-27-2014, 12:23 AM
Conv_GSDriver
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hhmmm hard to say, depending on the sale price, it could be a salvage title. If you can get the VIN, take it to a chevy dealer and have them pull the maintenance history for that VIN. if nothing comes up via chevy then it could be some serious issues. Auction cars are always a surprise cause you really don't know much of what happened prior and going from FL to NY, it could mean that someone is trying to make a quick buck. definitely be careful.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:53 AM
Conv_GSDriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smokemake
The sale price is normal, but they really want to get rid if it, so they dropped it around 5k,
I have the Vin and the Carfax and the title comes clean on Carfax
Can I call GM and they can tell me about it?
A previous zr1 owner once told me gm has a hotline separately just for zr1s, is this true?
i'm not sure about the hotline but if you provide a VIN and explain you are buying this car and want to see how well it was taken care of mintenance wise, and if it happens to be your local dealer, i'm sure they will be willing to help since that means you would take your car to them in the future, possible new business.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:04 AM
smokemake
Advanced

Should I run an auto check too?
Old 04-27-2014, 01:10 AM
Conv_GSDriver
Burning Brakes

That's entirely up to you, I guess for comparison sake and if it gives you piece of mind.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:47 AM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

I would run the autocheck just for piece of mind.
I would also ask the local chevy dealer or Gene Cully @ GM Parts House (a vendor on this forum) to run a BARS report. They are free and they will show you everything that GM has done to the car, warranty and regular service work
I would also google the vin and see if anything pops up of interest
Old 04-27-2014, 10:00 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

What are the specifics regarding the car and how much are they asking? Do as much research as possible (GM VIS etc.) and make sure to test drive it before making an offer. Take it up to between 70-80 mph to ensure it does not have the dreaded steering wheel vibration. Most dealers don't have a clue as to how to fix this issue.

There is a ton of info regarding these cars in the ZR1 section of this forum. Got to do your homework or you could make a big mistake. I doubt it's a salvage title just for a transmission replacement and if that's all there is with the car, I'm sure it is fine. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:27 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
I would run the autocheck just for piece of mind.
I would also ask the local chevy dealer or Gene Cully @ GM Parts House (a vendor on this forum) to run a BARS report. They are free and they will show you everything that GM has done to the car, warranty and regular service work
I would also google the vin and see if anything pops up of interest
I thought the BARS report is for fleet vehicles---could be wrong tho. I would do the GM VIS (now IVH?) report that is free and I'd also do an AutoCheck, too. Good idea to google vin, and very good idea to go on C6 ZR1 forum and look for things wrong, ask questions.

Maybe it's nothing but replacing trans before first sale could mean many things not least of which is someone at dealership took it for a fun ride and didn't know how to shift, or shifted poorly. Or raced it at a track.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:20 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Find the owners....ask them about it and hopefully don't have a hand in the sale..
Old 04-27-2014, 12:41 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Sounds to me like the GM VIS report would be valuable here. Available from any Chevy dealer and a couple of vendors on here. The car is still on warranty, so the trans would show up on the report.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:49 PM
technolady
Intermediate

I m buying a 2012 zr1 where the car fax shows on line 3 " transmission replaced"
This is two weeks before the car was sold the very first time
Original title is from FL and current title is in NY
This car s been on sale for a while

In the last line or report, it shows sold to another dealer last month but its still on sale from the NY dealer
In my opinion, a major repair just prior to a sale is a no-go red flag. If they kept the car after the repair that would indicate (to me) that all was well but getting rid of a car right after a repair could indicate that the repair was the tip of the iceberg.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:06 PM
smokemake
Advanced

Originally Posted by technolady
In my opinion, a major repair just prior to a sale is a no-go red flag. If they kept the car after the repair that would indicate (to me) that all was well but getting rid of a car right after a repair could indicate that the repair was the tip of the iceberg.

But I was wondering if this could possibly be a mistake on Carfax or something
Not sure why a transmission would be replaced at 6 miles on the odometer
Old 04-27-2014, 05:09 PM
smokemake
Advanced

Originally Posted by cclive
Sounds to me like the GM VIS report would be valuable here. Available from any Chevy dealer and a couple of vendors on here. The car is still on warranty, so the trans would show up on the report.
So I can go to any Chevy dealer and ask for a VIS REPORT?
what does vis stand for?
I have not seen the car yet, I left a deposit of 3 k and its pending inspection of the vehicle in person for the full amount to be transfered
Old 04-27-2014, 05:11 PM
smokemake
Advanced

I wish there was a way to find the last owner
On Carfax it comes up as corporate vehicle so last owner registered it under his company
Old 04-27-2014, 05:21 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

A tranny replacement isn't exactly rare. The owner could be a crappy driver since it is a manual. I would get it inspected by a mechanic you trust. Remember that things on the ZR1 get real expensive quick. A stock wheel is a couple $k for example, tires are $2600 or so a set. My friend purchased a 2 year old 2010 ZR1 for $80k, already had 1 wheel, an alternator and I forgot what else replaced. He cracked the front splitter which is another $k or so. Roof has a few chips in it also.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:37 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

what does vis stand for?
I have not seen the car yet, I left a deposit of 3 k and its pending inspection of the vehicle in person for the full amount to be transfered
I believe that any GM dealer can pull it up by the VIN...will show full GM service history from delivery onwards.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:53 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

what does vis stand for?
Vehicle Inquiry System. To my knowledge it was replaced with the acronym, IVH (Investigate Vehicle History).

Get notified of new replies

To buying a zr1, tricky Carfax

Old 04-27-2014, 08:33 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

If it was a company car the chances are good that all or most of the maintenance was done by a dealer. Not many company car drivers are doing home repairs because maintenance costs would be included in the "perk" of getting a company car. Run that VIN number. It will probably tell you what you need to know.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:55 PM
smokemake
Advanced

I'm going to Chevy dealer tomorrow

I'm going to call that specific dealer that sold it for the first time as well

I'll ask them if it's still under warranty as well
Old 04-27-2014, 09:04 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

the GM IVH report will also show the warranties still in-force

this car (a 2012) should also be a CPO unit...if it isn't, then (to me) that's troublesome...

Quick Reply: buying a zr1, tricky Carfax