C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Dealerships... Unbelievable

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 11:57 PM
Bill Soda
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KX
On Sunday I drive into nearby Toyota dealer looking for a 4Runner for my son to use in the desert for his photography business.
First young man of south of the border decent is dumber than a stone. He goes and gets a salesman that is so slick he slithers across the pavement and leaves a trail of slime behind. Then he barks his pitch louder than my dog...I last 2 minutes and leave. Going to let my son find his own 4Runner. No way I am going to put up with such obnoxious car sales idiots! An added insult is that a new 4Runner runs into the $48,000 range, for a freaking truck!!
Last year when the lady and I got her new caddy ATS we were at least not insulted and assaulted by the Caddy sales people.
Same thing happened to me at the Cadillac dealer. The Corvette was at home so they didn't know what I drove upon arrival. Just normal Saturday clothes and I ended up talking to the manager, so he didn't know who I was. I was treated with great respect, all questions answered, but he said don't take it around the block for a test drive...just TAKE IT HOME FOR THE EVENING and bring it back tomorrow. I was shocked!! I told him I greatly appreciate the offer, but that is not me. As it turned out, I bought the new ATS from him. One great Buick, Cadillac, GMC dealer.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:34 AM
3rdchildhood
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you put up your vette for sale and let guys test drive it ha ha ha.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:35 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by SlothX311
So I pull up to a local used car dealership this weekend with my fiance ready to show her what my obsession is all about. She's into the idea of a weekend toy but I knew if she saw it up close she would be as excited as I was. We've been ready to buy for some time, but haven't pulled the trigger yet due to poor selection, high prices, planning a wedding, etc.

So I walk up to an 2007 2LT with 20k ish miles on it. Priced a little north of of 30k. Exterior was in very good condition. The car was a tad higher than my budget due to the low miles but I figured it was very close almost all of my other requirements in a C6. Also, with some wiggle room and or negotiating it was definitely doable.

My fiance and I are both 27, dressed in casual but tasteful Saturday clothing (we just came from the flea market,) and we're driving a newer, clean, common middle class sedan. The salesman took one look at us when we said what we were interested in and walked back inside... I was slightly confused. "Maybe he forgot his business card.." I thought. "Maybe.. he's grabbing the Corvette sales guy??" I was clueless.

So without thinking much of it beyond that, I continue with my up close walk around. The doors are unlocked so I scope out the interior. I get in, everything checks out. I'm pretty hopeful at this point.

I finally track down a sales guy (couldn't find the initial guy I spoke with) and tell him I'm interested in this car on his lot. I filled him in on the different years and trims I've driven and that this car was the best mileage and overall condition I've found thus far. I tell him I'd like to take it for a test drive and I'm ready to buy if the car checks out on the road. To my surprise he would not allow me to do so. I had to "pre-qualify" before driving.

I was so offended that I just left. You want to pre-qualify me on a brand new $70,000 car, fine I get it. But a $30,000, used car...that you leave unlocked on your lot?? Unbelievable. They missed out on a sale that day. Needless to say this car is still sitting on their lot.

In early 1956, Elvis walked into a Cadillac dealership in Memphis. He had already made quite a bit of money, but was not yet instantly recognizable by everyone. After having the nerve to touch one of the Caddies, a salesman, judging him by his greasy hair and wild clothes, asked him to leave.

Elvis calmly asked to see the manager and said, "I'll take these three Cadillacs and I want the commission to go that guy over there or there's no deal." He pointed to a janitor who was sweeping the floor.

The manager checked with Elvis' bank and the deal was done.

60 years later, car salesmen are still just as ignorant.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:54 AM
SlothX311
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by slickstick
Buy third party... very unlikely I would ever bother with a dealer for a used car, unless it was the only place I could find what I wanted.

Were the keys in the car? If not, I'm not sure how you even leave a C6 unlocked. Maybe it's a setting, but seems odd they would turn off the auto locking feature.
I've been looking at dealers just because they provide detailed pictures, info and usually a free carfax. In addition most of the private sellers I'm finding are trying to sell this way rather than trade in, because they are modified. I'm looking for as stock as possible.

I didn't know about the auto locking feature. The keys were not in the car. Both doors were unlocked.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Orange05_C6
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I bought my 05 the guy at first looked at me like, ya ok. I was 20 and looked like I was 12 Haha he sure changed his attitude when I said I have 22k in cash

The guy I talked to a few weeks ago about ordering a new c7 didn't ignore me because I pulled up in my c6 but kinda talked to me like I was some stupid and uninformed 22year old (still look 16) cause he asked if my parents helped pay for financing my c6. Told him i pritty much paid cash for it and took out a small loan for credit since I had hardly any. Basically I was the one informing him about most of it especially when I mentioned my gm supplier discount. He mentioned about buying used and I said I might as well buy new getting 5k off for my discount. He kinda laughed and didn't believe me. He got on his computer and about two mins later he's like, huh, ya it is 5k off... I just smiled and said, priced it out this morning, didn't believe me? So ya i go in there expecting not to get treated great since I'm so young looking but I'm very mature when it comes to these situations and they usually come around to being nice (once they know i have money )
Old 05-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Tuffguy610
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me when I was shopping for my C5. Me and my friend (guy) were 26 at the time and rolled up in my daily driver 2005 Scion xA. A guy who looked like he was homeless came up to us and I asked who he was, he said he was the salesman! Anyways, he grabbed the keys and let me start up the car and scope it out, it was a 2003 cyber gray metallic convertible with a 6 speed. When it came time to test drive, he wouldn't do it and said they were closing. I understand that I was young and it was a sunny day in the mid 70s. Oh well, I was going to be a cash buyer (which dealers hate), but I went and bought privately and got a much better deal on a much better maintained car. Sucks for them!

Last edited by Tuffguy610; 05-21-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: .
Old 05-21-2014, 11:42 AM
Dre01SS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
I didn’t have this issue buying either one of my corvettes but I did get snubbed at a BMW dealership. I believe I was in my mid to late 20’s and I walked into a local BMW dealership. I am sure I was dressed like your average 20-year old at the time, nothing special. I was greeted by no one. I looked around, found a car I liked and hunted down a sales person. I asked him if I could test drive one of their cars. His reply, “we are not test driving any cars today” and walked away. I guess to make sure a-holes only drive BMW’s the sales people need to be a-holes too. (kidding to all that might be BMW drivers)
Funny... I purchased a used E92 335i and my C6 Z06 from BMW dealerships. I was 24 when I got the 335i, dressed in jeans and a tshirt... I think the salesman took me up on the test-drive out of sheer boredom (it was a weekday afternoon), but with no troubles. He was pleasantly surprised that once the drive was done, I told him to get the paperwork started.

The Z was just as easy, and the drive was in the rain... My experiences with the BMW dealerships have been frequently more pleasant than domestic ones to be honest.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Orange05_C6
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuffguy610
I had the same thing happen to me when I was shopping for my C5. Me and my friend (guy) were 26 at the time and rolled up in my daily driver 2005 Scion xA. A guy who looked like he was homeless came up to us and I asked who he was, he said he was the salesman! Anyways, he grabbed the keys and let me start up the car and scope it out, it was a 2003 cyber gray metallic convertible with a 6 speed. When it came time to test drive, he wouldn't do it and said they were closing. I understand that I was young and it was a sunny day in the mid 70s. Oh well, I was going to be a cash buyer (which dealers hate), but I went and bought privately and got a much better deal on a much better maintained car. Sucks for them!
Ya mine was at a small dealer in his show room but was a private seller. It was his friend and he was just displaying it for him so I didn't have the dealer mark up. I hate dealers. They don't know what they are talking about half the time and they are all rude (not all but most are). The guy about the c7 started talking to me more reasonable when I said I worked for the railroad for a few years (railroad is big part of that towns history).

If I ever have to talk to dealers, I try and take my vette so at least they think I'm not just some punk kid haha
Old 05-21-2014, 01:46 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Asking to make a copy of your DL is sop. Anything else is BS. A salesman who walks away from a potential high dollar customer! That's a new one on me. I've been buying new, high performance cars since I was 20--and looked younger, and never had a problem. Back in the Muscle car days if you were under 21 or didn't have the credit rating, you needed your dad to cosign. But it was common practice as it was the kids who bought the Muscle Cars. No salesman in his right mind would ignore a customer much younger than you.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:48 PM
Brady Kohuth
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking for a Vette and I knew what I wanted,color,trans etc. Drove to a Cadillac dealership and saw "my" Vette. My brother and I looked it over and a salesman came out and was very pleasant. I asked him if I could test drive it,it was a Friday and he simply said "why don't you take it for the week-end" !! Holy Cow ! So when I brought it back Monday morning,I told the salesman,that I wished I didn't have to turn in this car. He said,"you can drive it for a week if you want,you should have called me". I didn't buy it then as it was priced a little too high and I had 2 classic cars in my garage and no room for the Vette. That was November. Put an ad in Craigslist and sold both cars,cash. That was in January. The same day,I drove down and "my" car was still there and bought it. Every time I've been to this dealership,I've been treated very well and yes,I wear Wranglers and Carhartt t-shirts. The dealership is in Phoenix and recently moved to a new location,and no I don't work for them. So,their are really good dealerships out there,you just have to find them.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:17 PM
Power Hawk
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Three years ago I started searching for a Corvette. Went to local Chevy dealership and told salesman I wanted a C5 Corvette. He told me they did not have any in stock but would call me when they did. I gave him my # and never heard back from him. I found another dealership that took care of me. I traded the 2003 Corvette that I bought 3 years ago for a 2013 Corvette a few months ago. I tried local dealership again (would like to keep $$ in community ) and had no luck. Found exactly what I was looking for online at dealership about 75 miles away. I do not understand how some places stay in business.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:45 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

I can remember a Pontiac dealership years ago. A buddy of mine was really hot for a Trans Am. He had money for the down payment, had the financing ready to go from his Credit Union, the whole shebang. He went to test drive a car, and they told him no.

We were both dressed in jeans and t shirts. I told him, ok, we can fix his wagon.

We go to a different Pontiac dealer, dressed in Sunday clothes and I loaned my buddy a FOOLex my Aunt bought me in Korea on Itaewon Street.

They took him out for a long test drive, served him lunch (me too) and gave him the price he wanted. He stopped at the other Dealer and told them to kiss his ***.

I bought my C6 Brand Spanking New from EVS Chevrolet. Rick Conti and Greg (his last name slips my mind). Best two guys to deal with.

Last edited by KBoltz; 05-21-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:48 PM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Hmm bad dealer. I've walked into a Porche Dealer early 20s wearing basketball shorts and a wife beater (came from a hike) and drove a new 911. No issues or paperwork. Driven Vipers, Astons, Vettes, no issues. I'm 25 now and have never been turned down from a test drive of any kind.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:42 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Lucky for you they did that OP.That car is way,way overpriced at 30 something grand.....you can get 08's or 9's for that kind of money.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:53 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I had problems looking at fast cars when I was younger also. Not with the Corvettes though since I was already 40 when I bought my first one. I can't really fault the dealer too much. You said they have a good reputation at selling Corvettes so they probably earned it. They probably have a lot of people come by looking for a test drive. $30k is also a lot of money for a 7 year old car. Prices of new cars are going up everyday. Look at the new full size GM SUVs, I saw a new Tahoe with a $70k sticker. $30k barely gets you into a new loaded Malibu or Equinox these days.

Also if it had low mileage I'm not surprised they were picky about who they let drive it. Lucky you didn't want a C7 or something.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:01 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by SlothX311
I emailed the owner of the dealership and did not get a response. I'll be sure to send him pics of the toy I end up buying elsewhere.
Do it!!!!!

Quick Reply: Car Dealerships... Unbelievable