C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Corvette Rear Ended (Pics Included)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 06:38 PM
SoCal LS2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Corvette Rear Ended (Pics Included)

Hey guys,

So I figured some of us have had the unlucky factor of being in an accident, whether it was our fault or not.

While searching the forum I was hoping to come across similar threads with pictures, repair estimates, etc. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any posts with pictures or infortmation as to the repair costs for a rear ended C6.

I have some pictures (because what is a post without pictures ), as well as the initial estimate (before they tear into the car) and find any further damage. When I get the car repaired Ill post the final estimate cost as well.

Long story short, I was rear ended while waiting at a traffic signal on the on-ramp during rush hour. You know that control traffice and what not of people getting on the highway (freeway for the folks in CA). I was hit at a speed of 30-40 mph by another car. Impact was a direct rear impact. Driver said he was distracted, didn't say he was on his phone, just that he was distracted.

The following items were damaged visually from the exterior:
1. Rear Bumper
2. LR Quarter Panel
3. Targa Top Left Driver Side Pin (sheared upon impact)

Current initial estimate for damages, including labor: $1,679
Please keep in mind this is to repair the rear bumper and LR quarter panel, per my insurance policy. Only OEM replacement panels will be used in the event the body panels cannot be repaired
I know the quote is low, the quotes on the estimate are for repair only, not a replacement. Ive had this body shop perform body repairs before and have been nothing but satisfied by their work.

This estimate is likely to increase given the fiberglass bumper has holes in it from the impact, and the damage to the LR quarter is cosmetic (spider webbing) probably repairable. Who knows what the damage is behind the bumper. B&B Exhaust looks to be in good shape, besides the minor scuffs on the tail pipes.

When the other party's insurance finally takes 100% blame, I'll get the final estimate to see what the true damage behind the cosmetic panel repair/replacement they initially quoted and be able to determine the true full cost. I'll post that information when I get it.

Pictures below:
2001 Civic that hit me:

RL Quarter Panel Damage

Targa Top Bolt Sheared Off

Rear Bumper

Initial Estimate

Last edited by SoCal LS2; 05-27-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:45 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,912 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Wow it looks like the Vette is built like a tank compared to that bag of rice.

Hope you are OK and the repairs go smoothly.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Hmmm.....wonder if the responding PD would be willing to subpoena the phone record of the guy who hit you to confirm if he was texting or talking on a phone when he hit you. Not sure of the CA traffic laws, but here in NJ, that would warrant a moving violation ticket.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:03 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Not a pretty picture, hope the repairs go well and thankfully no one was seriously hurt..
Old 05-27-2014, 07:05 PM
SoCal LS2
Racer

Cell phone ticket in CA has been just a standard ticket from what I know. Not considered a moving violation, then again, never been ticketed for it. I asked him 3-4 times "WTF were you distracted with," and he said he didn't know, he just kept saying he didn't know the lights were on to control traffic entering the HWY. It was his first accident.

More happy that he had insurance over anything. CA is one of the highest % non-insured driver states.

He only had liability, so it should cover the damage, including the totalling of the car (which I doubt would happen). The car is worth maybe 16K with 120K miles. There would have to be frame damage to total it, which from driving it to and from work this morning I doubt there would be, then again, at 30-40 mph I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Chevy Performance
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

Demand new panels. Why would you want cracked body panels left on your car when they are are easy to replace? It's not like they are a structural part of your car like unibody cars.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 PM
SoCal LS2
Racer

Originally Posted by Chevy Performance
Demand new panels. Why would you want cracked body panels left on your car when they are are easy to replace? It's not like they are a structural part of your car like unibody cars.
Insurance company says if the panels can be repaired which really would only be the LR Quarter, then I have to accept repaired panels. Its in my policy.

I totally agree with you, but that is part of Mercury's Policy, I don't know what more I can do besides bring it to multiple shops until one will say its a required replacement.

The rear bumper panel will be replaced with an OEM panel and the quote will be revised due to multiple holes in the panel itself from the impact.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Very sorry for this unfortunate incident, if it was my car would be VERY upset to say the least, Just a curious question did the other driver receive a ticket ? also did the officer say anything about tint on tail lights ? I want to tint mine but I'm afraid if something similar would happen to me the other driver could claim he could not see my brake lights because of the tint. I sure when it gets repaired it's as good as new.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:10 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Performance
Car has to be less than 2 years old for mandatory new parts.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Chevy Performance
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal LS2
Insurance company says if the panels can be repaired which really would only be the LR Quarter, then I have to accept repaired panels. Its in my policy.

I totally agree with you, but that is part of Mercury's Policy, I don't know what more I can do besides bring it to multiple shops until one will say its a required replacement.

The rear bumper panel will be replaced with an OEM panel and the quote will be revised due to multiple holes in the panel itself from the impact.

But if it can't be repaired to OEM level then the panels need to be replaced. Just talk with the body shop and let them know your expectations . My sister went through the same thing when someone rear ended her a few years ago, the body shop knew what she wanted.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:00 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

that sucks.hpoe the other driver doen"t say he could not see your brake lights because they are blacked out.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:03 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by lordofwar
that sucks.hpoe the other driver doen"t say he could not see your brake lights because they are blacked out.
Could be a legit complaint but the offender should have recieved a failure to maintain control. No possible excuse to hit someone from the rear.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:36 PM
SoCal LS2
Racer

Legitimate point on the tinted tail lights. He didnt mention the tail lights being tinted. He didnt even know I was stopped waiting for the light. Which makes me assume he was texting or using his phone in some capacity.

While id argue day or night the brake lights illuminate a few shades lighter than the stock tail lights they are very noticeable when the brake is on, no less than any car on the road. (I know im still breaking the law). Regardless, when rear-ending another car, its hard to make a valid arguement.

In regards to highway patrol they never showed after 30 min of waiting so no one was cited.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:02 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Our family auto was rear ended a few years ago. They had Mercury insurance and they were outstanding. They gave us a loaner car and the body work was better than before the accident.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:07 PM
SoCal LS2
Racer

For those questioning the darkness of the tint. Below is a picture taken on my phone with the lights on in the garage. I may be a little bias though

Also to the poster who wants to tint his, I say dont do it. Theyve been a serious hassle with about 3-4 fix it tickets. Luckily Ive always had a local corvette guy lend me his to write off the tickets, but its a major PIA. Im actually looking to switch to the new LED versions.

Last edited by SoCal LS2; 05-27-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:08 PM
CyberBullet
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry you were hit like that.
Regarding the damage, I would expect considerable more. If the impact was hard enough to break a stud at the a-piller then I see no way other things were not impacted as well.
Good luck with it all. Glad you are o.k.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:25 PM
mile-0
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Sucks. It makes me furious when someone's carelesness causes damage or pain. Hope you get fixed up quickly, here's my $.02...have you considered a third party claim against the responsible party liability policy? You have no contract with them stating repair panels only, you may have better luck there getting new parts. Also, I would have some concern about the sheared targa top bolt, that seems to indicate a severe flexing of the structure on impact. At the very least the car should go on a high end frame machine and be checked dimensionally.

If you think of what we put our cars through in traffic, track etc. I have never heard of a top bolt breaking like that. I really hope it's a fluke, but have it checked well for sure.

Best of luck. Keep us posted. May body rot and failed emissions befall all 2001 Honda Civics.

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 Corvette Rear Ended (Pics Included)

Old 05-27-2014, 10:28 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Glad you are ok and good luck with the repairs
Old 05-27-2014, 10:44 PM
passons
Advanced

Hate to see accident and hope it can be repaired soon.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:59 PM
oldtee
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Estimate should include a four wheel alignment. Insist on it.

Quick Reply: 2006 Corvette Rear Ended (Pics Included)