C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for my first vette

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 11:55 PM
roadgrader
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default looking for my first vette

Found a 2008 base model in Velocity Yellow with 63k miles for $28900. It has an LS3 engine with color matching gauges. I'm sure you can tell me more about this car than i know since I'm a noob. I'll take a look at it in the next day or 2. I've wanted a Vette since I hit puberty about 50 years ago. Obviously it has an automatic Trans. I don't want to work very hard driving this thing. But, I would like to know from any of you what kind of life span I can expect with reasonable care and maintenance?

Soon to be one more thing off the bucket list.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:13 AM
HEATWAVE
Instructor

That's a good deal ,, idk what options it has but as far as longevity they are well built motors ,, I've had mine a year now ,, it's 06 now has 94k miles,, heads cam intake car and about to put nitrous on it,, doesn't leak a drop and turns heads ,, u won't be disappointed

Originally Posted by roadgrader
Found a 2008 base model in Velocity Yellow with 63k miles for $28900. It has an LS3 engine with color matching gauges. I'm sure you can tell me more about this car than i know since I'm a noob. I'll take a look at it in the next day or 2. I've wanted a Vette since I hit puberty about 50 years ago. Obviously it has an automatic Trans. I don't want to work very hard driving this thing. But, I would like to know from any of you what kind of life span I can expect with reasonable care and maintenance?

Old 07-10-2014, 12:18 AM
GW360
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you hit puberty about 50 years ago, the car could easily outlive you. The lifespan is virtually indefinite with proper maintenance - even with somewhat improper maintenance. The car will age about like any other - as it moves into senior citizen status - around 100K - 120K miles or so, depending on how it's been driven - oil consumption will increase, the auto trans may start feeling tired, etc. And long before that happens, the interior will probably start showing its age. But otherwise, a well maintained C6 should be able to go 150K plus without a major engine teardown.

Last edited by GW360; 07-10-2014 at 12:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-10-2014, 12:32 AM
umatac1
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

roadgrader I'm in the same boat as you. Looking for a vette but later this year; to have shipped to Guam. I'm also not to familiar with all the options with vettes but im interested in buying a used 08 to 2010. I really love the style. Let me know how your deal works out and how you like the car if you don't mind. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:09 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Just want to say that you and I have much in common. I'd always wanted one since about 50 years ago as well and finally got one not long ago.

Good for you and I hope you find the one that suits you. When you get it, you may be tempted to just sit back and look at it and drive it only on nice days... but try to overcome that! Drive that puppy like it was meant to be driven and you'll soon discover what's known around here as, Permagrin.

Good luck...
Old 07-10-2014, 06:20 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Good luck OP....I waited many years before I bought my new 2013 Grand Sport last year.

I'm glad you chose a 2008.
It was that year that saw the LS3 engine, the TR6060 transmission, (should you choose one that's stick), along with changes in steering geometry, interior, NPP exhaust, etc.
So try to stay with an '08 or later.

As for your question...."I would like to know from any of you what kind of life span I can expect with reasonable care and maintenance?"

I would say you'll do very well, if you don't smoke, drink too heavily, or do drugs.
Eat healthy foods, and get plenty of exercise, you'll be fine.

Good luck with what ever you buy.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:27 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

My '06 daily driver is now at 84,000 miles with only one repair that did not fall under routine maintenance, the auto shifter cable at about $800, the only time it has ever been serviced by anyone but me.

I suppose that likely makes it the most trouble-free car I have ever owned.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:47 AM
08C6
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Decent price ... What option list you have !!! I paid 29,000 with 48,000KM - 08 Coupe - 3LT - Auto... Your price is not far off...Hope it works out for you...
Old 07-10-2014, 08:00 AM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I think the price is ok but without knowing what options it has that is hard to tell

Just me but I would not want anything less than 3lt package with NPP exhaust

F55 is on mine but that would not be a deal breaker

LOT of 08's in the market place right now, my advice is DO NOT RUSH INTO a purchase.. I almost did but I stopped and sat back and did my research for all the options I wanted and took my time and after a year long search I found the car I wanted PLUS SOME right here on CF

DO NOT HESITATE to ask what options are out there and to be honest if I were looking at 08 at that price for just a tad bit more you can get something with HALF of those miles in this market

I am just like you in that I have wanted a Vette since my early teens(now 51) and have owned mine a little over a year.. Wife and I both LOVE IT
Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,360 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Hameister
Good luck OP....I waited many years before I bought my new 2013 Grand Sport last year.
I'm glad you chose a 2008.
It was that year that saw the LS3 engine, the TR6060 transmission, (should you choose one that's stick), along with changes in steering geometry, interior, NPP exhaust, etc.
So try to stay with an '08 or later.
As for your question...."I would like to know from any of you what kind of life span I can expect with reasonable care and maintenance?"
I would say you'll do very well, if you don't smoke, drink too heavily, or do drugs.
And a colonoscopy every five years (or more often if that's your thing).
Old 07-10-2014, 10:32 AM
roadgrader
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hameister

Hey, OLD men do that stuff. OK, I'm old. I don't' smoke, drink, do illegal drugs, and, only chase one woman cause she let's me catch her. I'm a carnivore. Never bought into the diet recommendations from popular society. Besides, the FDA recently admitted that all the stuff they've been promoting for the last 50 years concerning diet is crap. You know, red meat, salt, coffee, more grains, all BS.

Back to the car. I think it is mostly the base model. The pictures show only one extra that I can see. That's the Sport Touring control ****. Other than that the extras seem to be cosmetic. Since I'm also very cheap I'm struggling with the price. It may be a good price for that year but, I've seen better prices by a few thousand, just not the color that trips my trigger.

BTW, the first owner was a rental co. That disturbs me a bit, then 2 owners after that. The second owner kept it for 2 months. The third for a couple of years.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:53 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,360 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Hey, OLD men do that stuff. OK, I'm old. I don't' smoke, drink, do illegal drugs, and, only chase one woman cause she let's me catch her. I'm a carnivore. Never bought into the diet recommendations from popular society. Besides, the FDA recently admitted that all the stuff they've been promoting for the last 50 years concerning diet is crap. You know, red meat, salt, coffee, more grains, all BS.
Back to the car. I think it is mostly the base model. The pictures show only one extra that I can see. That's the Sport Touring control ****. Other than that the extras seem to be cosmetic. Since I'm also very cheap I'm struggling with the price. It may be a good price for that year but, I've seen better prices by a few thousand, just not the color that trips my trigger.
BTW, the first owner was a rental co. That disturbs me a bit, then 2 owners after that. The second owner kept it for 2 months. The third for a couple of years.
Some folks will say they had/have good luck with rentals...but I've rented lotsa cars and I know how I drove 'em. Run like the wind. Too many nice ones to choose from.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Some folks will say they had/have good luck with rentals...but I've rented lotsa cars and I know how I drove 'em. Run like the wind. Too many nice ones to choose from.
Yup, that's the way I feel.

Too much risk in a rental for me.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

I got a nice 09 same color listed for sale....no idea where you are located though.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:46 PM
roadgrader
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tide Will Roll!
I got a nice 09 same color listed for sale....no idea where you are located though.
DFW.

The car is a ZHZ. Supposedly 500 made. I remember buddies renting Hurst Oldsmobiles and racing them at the track. About 30000 miles as a rental. Don't know if that it's a ZHZ makes any difference in value.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:07 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

Too many unknowns with a ZHZ. I know you do not want to wait as we all have had the itch to get our beauties, but be patient. You can find a nice 08+ with less miles for a great price. Keep looking! And we want photos once you get her!!!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 02:08 PM
NotreOkc
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

Heck, since you are in the DFW area I will help you shop or answer any questions you have if you would like. Just send me a PM.

Get notified of new replies

To looking for my first vette

Old 07-10-2014, 02:38 PM
roadgrader
Advanced

Originally Posted by Red Racer
Just want to say that you and I have much in common. I'd always wanted one since about 50 years ago as well and finally got one not long ago.

Good for you and I hope you find the one that suits you. When you get it, you may be tempted to just sit back and look at it and drive it only on nice days... but try to overcome that! Drive that puppy like it was meant to be driven and you'll soon discover what's known around here as, Permagrin.

Good luck...
This will be my company car. It will b driven at least 20000+ miles/yr.

When I test drove the first one I smiled for 2 days. Wife almost thought I was cheating on her.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:01 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

BTW, the first owner was a rental co. That disturbs me a bit, then 2 owners after that. The second owner kept it for 2 months. .
Be very careful. Many of those ZHZ Hertz rentals have been thoroughly beaten, thrashed and otherwise badly abused. Take you dollars and find a better cared for Vette...there are lots of them out there.

Good luck with your continued search...
Old 07-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

roadgrader, a good friend has specialized in selling Corvettes since he came home from Nam. He has had two ZHZ's on his lot for nearly a year with no bites. Let your gut be your guide, but myself I would look elsewhere. These Hertz Vettes have probably been beaten on hard. Good luck

You can see the ones he has at www.morrisonmotorco.com Click on "Main Lot".

Quick Reply: looking for my first vette