C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POWER Steering Fluid LEAK!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 12:20 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default POWER Steering Fluid LEAK!

So I noticed a damp spot on the driveway. Got worried. Looked underneath the car and noticed clear fluid all around the driver's side wheel. Traced it back tot he power steering coupling. It looks as though the metal coupling that attaches to the plastic wrapped tubing under the car is the site of the leak. All of the plastic encased tubing was soaked, but not above the attachment site.

Is this a DIY project? Does the power steering assembly itself include the metal coupling that goes to the actual wheels?

If so, Its under warranty. Otherwise I am on my own.

Looking at this diagram. I think my #9 (pressure hose) is leaking...

Will stop leak work?

Last edited by Ahmer; 07-13-2014 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:32 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

Looks like this will have to be DIY. My warranty does not cover PS....

My main question for folks out there is I can see the upper nut to remove under the power steering itself, but what about the lower one that connects to the rack/pinion. Where can I access this bolt? Remove driver's side wheel but is it possible to get to it without taking much apart?

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:20 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmer
So I noticed a damp spot on the driveway. Got worried. Looked underneath the car and noticed clear fluid all around the driver's side wheel. Traced it back tot he power steering coupling. It looks as though the metal coupling that attaches to the plastic wrapped tubing under the car is the site of the leak. All of the plastic encased tubing was soaked, but not above the attachment site.

Is this a DIY project? Does the power steering assembly itself include the metal coupling that goes to the actual wheels?

If so, Its under warranty. Otherwise I am on my own.

Looking at this diagram. I think my #9 (pressure hose) is leaking...

Will stop leak work?
I haven't looked at my Vette but all other power steering fluid I have seen is red. Are you sure its power steering fluid?
Old 07-13-2014, 07:30 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

Yes I replaced mine with Prestone clear power steering years ago. Debating on putting some stop leak in for now to buy time.

Also what does "some re-reouting requireed" mean when looking for parts... Does this man they are not R&R?

Last edited by Ahmer; 07-13-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

Ok another look this morning. I can see where the high pressure hose connects. BOTH ends. The only other questions I have now is how do you get a crows foot wrench to catch the connector that is on the PS unit itself from below when it is at an ANGLE??

Last edited by Ahmer; 07-13-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Noticed that the Gates replacement is NOT the short OEM hose anymore. Maybe this is what the "re-routing" required statement is referring to.

Last edited by Ahmer; 07-13-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:05 PM
D&C vette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a thread that helped me a lot. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...t-off-car.html.

If link doesn't work search for member drivinfast, thread dated 6/28/2010. It was my hose. I got the updated hose as well. Goes down from pump, has a bracket that mounts to cross member then back to the rack.

take care
Old 07-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Awesome. So GM is charging $224 for the hose ALONE. I shudder to think what they would gave charged me had I taken my car in.

Does the Gates hose have this clamp the clamps onto the cross member?

Originally Posted by D&C vette
Here is a thread that helped me a lot. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...t-off-car.html.

If link doesn't work search for member drivinfast, thread dated 6/28/2010. It was my hose. I got the updated hose as well. Goes down from pump, has a bracket that mounts to cross member then back to the rack.

take care
Old 07-14-2014, 07:58 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Awesome. So GM is charging $224 for the hose ALONE. I shudder to think what they would gave charged me had I taken my car in.

Does the Gates hose have this clamp the clamps onto the cross member?
Wow, bend over.....

Absolutely ridiculous.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:09 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

Yea. Well I think the procedure as I see it based on my research on the forums is.... Remove belts, remove alternator. Remove top 16 mm nut from PS pump and then remove Drivers side wheel and remove 18 mm (tight fit btw) nut from rack and pinion. Replace hose... Re route hose...

Am I correct. I am only worried that the stupid 16 mm hose sometimes requires removal of the pulley from the PS to get to. But I am wondering if I were to loosen the Power Steering housing, would it give me enough room to squeeze a wrench in there?
Old 07-15-2014, 07:20 PM
D&C vette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't try to remove hose with pump still on bracket. Sorry, no input there.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

OMG. I have everything off including the alternator, power steering reservoir, and intake up to the thorttle body. I can see the stupid NUT, but no way I can remove this thing from above....

I saw some folks on C5s remove this nut from the bottom, will try this tomm when my crows foot wrench comes in.... But I know some on here were able to get it off from the TOP???

Last edited by Ahmer; 07-16-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:57 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Anyone replace their Power Steering Hose??? I'm sure someone out there has...
Old 07-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

Finally Done. Hopefully nothing leaks. 7 scratches left hand 1 blister right hand.

I learned new cuss words in the process.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

BTW this was a MAJOR PITA!
Old 07-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Ok update. Still a slight leak. Looks like it is my power steering pump. I am glad I replaced the hose anyway as that was the HARDEST part. (Both of my shaft seals were intact and the leak seems to be coming from the center of the car...) Def smells like the power steering fluid I put in.

Hopefully this should be easier. Ideas? Is Cardone a good brand btw? (through Advance Auto)
Old 07-23-2014, 06:34 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

REPLACED the power steering pump. No more groan.... Hopefully no more leaks.

NOTE: WHen I tightened my bolts onto the pinion the first time, I got overzealous, went back and looked at the o-rings, and they were TORN!

So. Use only index finger to tighten these bolts and keep an eye on the area for leaks. Tighten a bit later. (if you have to) I got 4 replacements at O'Reilly for $4.

Last edited by Ahmer; 07-23-2014 at 08:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To POWER Steering Fluid LEAK!

Old 07-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Ok still have a freaking leak. Now this is getting annoying. How do you know if the rack is leaking?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:12 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

This is what I did, took me 4-5 hours start to finish.

Steps: (Obtain a Pulley removal tool from your fav auto parts store, Autozone rents for free)
(First DRAIN ALL PS FLUID FROM THE RESERVOIR!)

1. Remove the Air Dam / Filters up to throttle body
2. Remove alternator (held on by 2 15 mm bolts) and the 1 wire cionnection + 13 mm nut holding the ground in place
3. Loosen the PS reservoir held on by 2 15 mm bolts.
4. There are 2 clamp hoses holding the PS Reservoir to the pump assembly. Remove if you can, if not wait until everything is loosened and try again)
5. There are 2 15 mm bolts (1 is behind the pulley wheel itself on the PS pump) and one is further down in between the throttle body and the pulley (hard to reach on my '05, I prayed the whole time I don't strip it, but it came off eventually)
6. Once all bolts loosened, pull the pulley out towards yourself and away from ABS unit.
Attach pulley removal tool here to remove the pulley, I hung the pump tself with telephone cord high and dry over the throttle body by rigging my own pulley system so I could take the pulley off.)
7. Once pulley removed, it is easy to remove the 16 mm. holding the High pressure hose to the pump itself.
8. There are about 4-5 bolts holding the pump to the aluminum bracket.
9. Replace the new pump, apply new pulley, BUT be sure you put your 16 mm high pressure hose nut on with a NEW O-RING prior to the placement of the pulley AND MAKE SURE TO SLIDE THE 2 BOLTS that are NOT Going to slide in if the pulley is on first.
10. At this point, you should have your 16 mm bolt (from high pressure hose) and 2 15 mm bolts in place.
11. Slide the Power steering pump back into place making sure the High pressure hose clears the belt train and the crankshaft pulley
12. Reverse the rest. EASY.

IF YOU HAVE TO REPLACE YOUR HOSE:

BTW I had to replace my high pressure hose as my 05 had the SHORT one, so I bought a new one (much longer hose) from Rockauto (80 shipped), re-routing over the front cross member was required, but the only difference is when everything is off, there is an 18 mm. bolt holding onto the PS assembly itself (Use a flare wrench to avoid stripping) that must come off. Remove that as well. I held the hose on by aluminum zip ties.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:40 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

This is what I did, took me 4-5 hours start to finish.

Steps: (Obtain a Pulley removal tool from your fav auto parts store, Autozone rents for free)
(First DRAIN ALL PS FLUID FROM THE RESERVOIR!)

1. Remove the Air Dam / Filters up to throttle body
2. Remove alternator (held on by 2 15 mm bolts) and the 1 wire cionnection + 13 mm nut holding the ground in place
3. Loosen the PS reservoir held on by 2 15 mm bolts.
4. There are 2 clamp hoses holding the PS Reservoir to the pump assembly. Remove if you can, if not wait until everything is loosened and try again)
5. There are 2 15 mm bolts (1 is behind the pulley wheel itself on the PS pump) and one is further down in between the throttle body and the pulley (hard to reach on my '05, I prayed the whole time I don't strip it, but it came off eventually)
6. Once all bolts loosened, pull the pulley out towards yourself and away from ABS unit.
Attach pulley removal tool here to remove the pulley, I hung the pump tself with telephone cord high and dry over the throttle body by rigging my own pulley system so I could take the pulley off.)
7. Once pulley removed, it is easy to remove the 16 mm. holding the High pressure hose to the pump itself.
8. There are about 4-5 bolts holding the pump to the aluminum bracket.
9. Replace the new pump, apply new pulley, BUT be sure you put your 16 mm high pressure hose nut on with a NEW O-RING prior to the placement of the pulley AND MAKE SURE TO SLIDE THE 2 BOLTS that are NOT Going to slide in if the pulley is on first.
10. At this point, you should have your 16 mm bolt (from high pressure hose) and 2 15 mm bolts in place.
11. Slide the Power steering pump back into place making sure the High pressure hose clears the belt train and the crankshaft pulley
12. Reverse the rest. EASY.

IF YOU HAVE TO REPLACE YOUR HOSE:

BTW I had to replace my high pressure hose as my 05 had the SHORT one, so I bought a new one (much longer hose) from Rockauto (80 shipped), re-routing over the front cross member was required, but the only difference is when everything is off, there is an 18 mm. bolt holding onto the PS assembly itself (Use a flare wrench to avoid stripping) that must come off. Remove that as well. I held the hose on by aluminum zip ties.
way to stay at it. and thanks for sharing the how to.

Quick Reply: POWER Steering Fluid LEAK!