C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla touring exhaust versus stock

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Rockyravoli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla touring exhaust versus stock

Coming down to the wire on changing out my B&B Bullet exhaust and getting ready to order Borla Touring or Sport. The B&B is almost like straight pipes; yes that loud but sound extremely tough in town and kills your ears on the highway. So I don't want to go all the way back to stock as I like the car to sound like a muscle car but need the interior to be acceptable while cruising in the mountains. Does anyone have experience in the Borla touring and sport. So hard to tell listening to You-Tube clips.
Is the touring barely better than stock or does it give the car that muscle sound without the highway drone?
Sorry for all the questions just don't want to spend all the money and not like the results. The shop is charging me $1700 installed OTD for the Borla touring system; does that sound fair?
Thanks in advance
Old 07-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Borla Tourings on my GS. They are louder than stock. Just. A little throatier, but not by much. There is absolutely no drone on the highway,I think.I like them very much, but knowing what I know now, I'm not sure I would replace the stock exhaust.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Rockyravoli
Instructor

Originally Posted by Garibaldi
I have Borla Tourings on my GS. They are louder than stock. Just. A little throatier, but not by much. There is absolutely no drone on the highway,I think.I like them very much, but knowing what I know now, I'm not sure I would replace the stock exhaust.
From what you are telling me I might need to look at going with the Borla Sport versus the touring. Remember I am coming off of B&B bullet that I would rate at 1 to 10 in loudness at a 10.
I would guess stock at 1 or 2?
I would be happy with 5.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:22 PM
mile-0
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

We have the touring setup on our car. It's relatively quiet, but has a deep resonating rumble at idle. I know when my wife gets home because the house fills with the bass tone, Sorta vibrates. Outside the car it has a subdued rumble, and a pronounced roar under hard throttle.

The most pleasing part for me is inside the car, as over 30MPH the exhaust noise falls off dramatically, and is a pleasant deep undertone at highway speeds. Easy to listen to music or conversation in the car. Around town, it's not really loud, but when you roll to a stop it has that booming deep rumble that makes people look and wonder what is making that powerful sound. All in all, we are quite happy with the Borla system.
Drove a 4K road trip last year, it was pleasant inside the cabin at 75MPH Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Rozarioagro (02-16-2022)
Old 07-21-2014, 09:31 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

I m not a Borla fan, but, don t know a lot about them, only that they had the drone happeing a few years ago and revamped the system apparently, but i did have Corsa Extreme, and they have no drone at any speed on my 02 vert, planning on getting the same for my 08 Z51. just my tcw.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:34 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockyravoli
Coming down to the wire on changing out my B&B Bullet exhaust and getting ready to order Borla Touring or Sport. The B&B is almost like straight pipes; yes that loud but sound extremely tough in town and kills your ears on the highway. So I don't want to go all the way back to stock as I like the car to sound like a muscle car but need the interior to be acceptable while cruising in the mountains. Does anyone have experience in the Borla touring and sport. So hard to tell listening to You-Tube clips.
Is the touring barely better than stock or does it give the car that muscle sound without the highway drone?
Sorry for all the questions just don't want to spend all the money and not like the results. The shop is charging me $1700 installed OTD for the Borla touring system; does that sound fair?
Thanks in advance
I have the newer version of the Borla Touring. At first, day of install and first week, I hated it. Thought I made the biggest mistake... Sounded like crap to my ears. Something changed within the first month and the sound got better and better. It sounds incredible now. At idle, it has a lower bass tone than stock. At WOT it sounds awesome - it screams. It sounds exotic, high end. I had my son in my friends vette and pulled by at WOT, my son could not believe how loud it was because you don't get the same sound when riding in the cabin - it's quieter from in the cabin. After headers it sounds even better. So glad I got the touring and the wife has never complained one time! Not too long ago, exited interstate 40 and a guy pulls up next to me at the light telling me "that is how a vette should sound" that made my day

Here are some of my clips:
The following users liked this post:
Rozarioagro (02-16-2022)
Old 07-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Rockyravoli
Instructor

Originally Posted by berk4422
I have the newer version of the Borla Touring. At first, day of install and first week, I hated it. Thought I made the biggest mistake... Sounded like crap to my ears. Something changed within the first month and the sound got better and better. It sounds incredible now. At idle, it has a lower bass tone than stock. At WOT it sounds awesome - it screams. It sounds exotic, high end. I had my son in my friends vette and pulled by at WOT, my son could not believe how loud it was because you don't get the same sound when riding in the cabin - it's quieter from in the cabin. After headers it sounds even better. So glad I got the touring and the wife has never complained one time! Not too long ago, exited interstate 40 and a guy pulls up next to me at the light telling me "that is how a vette should sound" that made my day

Here are some of my clips:
http://youtu.be/baXDtmNhlLs
http://youtu.be/iGir5KlHjBk
http://youtu.be/4bF6bN7T7-E
Thanks for the clips and your expert opinion. I like your quote "that is how a vette should sound." Got me leaning back towards the touring. Have to order in the morning so collecting all the advice I can to make a better decision.
Love this site; everyone has been very helpful.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:43 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

regarding your price quote - Is it for the the axle back or catback w/ x-pipe?
assuming: Corvette C6 Exhaust Borla Touring Axleback Exhaust 11814
or
Corvette C6 Exhaust Borla Touring Cat Back Exhaust 140451
Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 PM
Rockyravoli
Instructor

Originally Posted by berk4422
regarding your price quote - Is it for the the axle back or catback w/ x-pipe?
assuming: Corvette C6 Exhaust Borla Touring Axleback Exhaust 11814
or
Corvette C6 Exhaust Borla Touring Cat Back Exhaust 140451
Good question; I will have to ask the tech tomorrow?
Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

When I bought my '03 C5 in '04 it had a Borla catback on it, but I don't know which model. It had two 4 inch pipes, if that helps. It really sounded good ... a deep, throaty rumble. On the highway there was a bit of drone until I did the sound insulation thing, and then it was quite quiet on the inside. It looked good too. If I remember correctly, the C5s didn't have any exhaust tips on them at all ... just bare exhaust pipes.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:28 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

From what you are telling me I might need to look at going with the Borla Sport versus the touring. Remember I am coming off of B&B bullet that I would rate at 1 to 10 in loudness at a 10.
I would guess stock at 1 or 2?
I would be happy with 5.
if you liked the tone of the bullets sans the drone then I don't think you'll be happy with the touring or the sport. the sport2 or the attak maybe?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...i-or-atak.html
Old 07-21-2014, 10:39 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
if you liked the tone of the bullets sans the drone then I don't think you'll be happy with the touring or the sport. the sport2 or the attak maybe?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...i-or-atak.html
that is an interesting and enlightening thread.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:42 PM
blw3
Intermediate

Default borla type 2 sports

Thanks in advance
Borla sports are pretty quiet(axle back)
with no other bolt on"s. If you do cam and headers they do get quite a bit louder, but are still drone free at highway speeds.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:56 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by walleyejack
that is an interesting and enlightening thread.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:24 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I have the Borla S-Type II. It's the newer version that has no drone. I really like it and at least for me, I think the touring would be a little to tame.

While cruising on the highway you can easily have a conversation.

Here is a short clip of mine.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:08 AM
V8lust
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the S-Type II as well, I'm very happy with it. Borla has a free app on iTunes which let's you hear their three current C6 systems on a Corvette, it's fun to A/B it, and in retrospect IMO it was a pretty accurate representation played on a high- end audio system.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:17 AM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 177 Posts

My reply to another exhaust thread. I didn't rev over 2k RPM because I was in a hotel parking lot.

Originally Posted by ttx350z
I have the Borla ATAK on my C6Z with the M6 transmission. There is no drone at all when just cruising.

Another member asked me if i could make a short video of the ATAK. So here it is.
Start up
In car cruise

Last edited by ttx350z; 07-22-2014 at 12:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Borla touring exhaust versus stock

Old 07-22-2014, 03:04 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ttx350z
My reply to another exhaust thread. I didn't rev over 2k RPM because I was in a hotel parking lot.
and this post is from Borla
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1587411215-post10.html
Old 07-22-2014, 03:33 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

I had BB Bullets, Borla Stingers, and Corsa Sports. I would think coming from the Bullets, the Touring will be too tame for you, just barely better than stock. The Borla Stingers are middle of the road not too loud and not too quiet. I feel the touring is a waste of money. 1700 sounds pricey as I have seen them sold new for 1300 and install less than 100.

If you get the Borla ATAK or Stingers 2 and don't like them you could always trade me for my NPP (quiet when you want) :-)
Old 07-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Rockyravoli
Instructor

I talked to the rep at Borla (Steve) in California office and he spend a good half hour walking me through the differences in their models and what he would recommend to fit my needs. I ordered the S-type II sport system. I will give everyone my opinion how they sound once they arrive next week.
Thanks for all the advice.

Quick Reply: Borla touring exhaust versus stock