C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anbody in Myrtle Beach Week of July 13?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:17 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
Default Anybody in Myrtle Beach Week of July 13?

During my vacation to Myrtle Beach this year the week of July 13th, my wife and I couldn't help but notice high performance Mustangs being driven everywhere. I was wondering if Myrtle Beach people just had a thing for Mustangs until my wife noticed a sign that said "Welcome Mustang Week". Well....that would explain it. All week long we saw just about every Mustang imaginable. I have to admit, some were pretty nice. From Cobras to Saleens to Mach 1s and more, both old and new. While making reservations for our trip months ago, I had reserved a small economy rental car which I believe was a Chevy Spirit, fine for me but when we arrived at Myrtle Beach my wife not wanting such a tiny car asked if a bigger one was available. As luck would have it, the car rental agency said they had a Mustang for the same price so we took that. It was a 2014, 6 cyl white Mustang, a bit nicer than the Spirit. As I drove it, we got a kick out of other Mustang drivers waving at us as well as passerby's who thought we had some high performance Mustang. Kids on the sidewalk would yell at us to "get on it". I wanted to yell out..."it's a 6 cyl rental!!!!". It was all too funny. This experience just proved my belief that all Mustangs look very similar, whether it's a 4 cyl or a Mach 1, at least from a distance. There is no mistaking a Corvette. I couldn't wait to get home to drive my Vette and am so glad I bought that and not a Mustang. Although, I have to admit after putting on about 200 miles on my 6cyl Mustang rental, the Mustang wouldn't be a bad choice for grocery runs or picking up kids or as a daily driver.

Last edited by JAsVette; 07-29-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:11 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

Met a friend of mine there on the 18th. We were taking our teenage daughters down for a "father/daughter" weekend. Had no clue it was mustang week, but my friend and I spend saturday at Bass Pro Shop parking lot checking out the mustangs while the girls were soaking up sun on the beach. that worked out. the girls could care less about the cars.

One thing that was pretty obvious with the mustang crowd, is that the majority of the owners are performance oriented when it comes to mods to their vehicles.

Around my house, the vette crowd consist mostly of stock garage queens.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:15 PM
GrayGrandSport
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was there. Got several "thumbs ups" from Mustang drivers when out riding in the 'Vette. Took my brother for a cruise up Ocean Blvd., at one point he commented "your 'Vette sure gets a lot of looks, and a lot of smiles!"

Originally Posted by russ472
One thing that was pretty obvious with the mustang crowd, is that the majority of the owners are performance oriented when it comes to mods to their vehicles.

Mustangs don't get 436 horsepower and 12" wide tires from the factory, they have to mod!
Old 07-29-2014, 03:27 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Originally Posted by russ472
Met a friend of mine there on the 18th. We were taking our teenage daughters down for a "father/daughter" weekend. Had no clue it was mustang week, but my friend and I spend saturday at Bass Pro Shop parking lot checking out the mustangs while the girls were soaking up sun on the beach. that worked out. the girls could care less about the cars.

I would have to disagree with your feeling that Mustang owners tend to be more "high performance oriented." I think a better explanation regarding Mustangs and mods compared to Vettes can be found in the survey taken on this forum regarding the ages of Vette owners.

under 21=.95%
21-29=8.19%
30-44=19.10%
45-59=33.21%
60-74=36.54%
75+=2.02%

So given the fact (according to this survey) that 71.77% of Vette owners are aged 45 and older would perhaps explain why most Vette's aren't modded. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I know just speaking of myself at age 60, the thoughts of spending precious time, money and energy modding a Vette is down on the priority list in life. I would rather drive my Vette as is. And also, the Mustang because of it's many variations, NEEDS to be modded to distinquish the high performance ones from the more generic like the one I used as a rental. There is no reason to distinquish different models of Vettes. They're all high performance sports cars. You won't find many Vettes at car rental agencies.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:39 PM
JAsVette
Racer

[QUOTE=GrayGrandSport;1587467638]I was there. Got several "thumbs ups" from Mustang drivers when out riding in the 'Vette. Took my brother for a cruise up Ocean Blvd., at one point he commented "your 'Vette sure gets a lot of looks, and a lot of smiles!"

Mustangs don't get 436 horsepower and 12" wide tires from the factory, they have to mod![/QUOT

Get notified of new replies

To Anbody in Myrtle Beach Week of July 13?

Quick Reply: Anbody in Myrtle Beach Week of July 13?