C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Modes - What's really the difference

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Gary-kq6rt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Traction Modes - What's really the difference

I have read several threads that explain what all the modes are, but I am wondering how the different modes would effect my 1/4 mile times.

In my Camaro all I had was traction control off and on. On the Vette I have traction on, off, Competitive mode, and hold the button for several seconds to turn everything off. At the drag strip I have always used the later.

The reason I am asking is because if just turning off the traction control works just as good I may not have to worry about the TPMS sensors anymore. Right now I have two sensors mounted in a canister rolling around in the back, but the TPMS light still comes on while I'm driving to the track. I always carry my TPMS tool so I can trip the sensors again, but it's becoming a pain in the @$$.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

See if this helps. I realize it doesn't answer everything you're asking.

Traction Control

There are 4 separate modes:

1. Traction Control - On .... Active Handling - On (Engages when the car is started)
This is the default mode.
This is recommended for normal driving.

2. Traction Control - Off .... Active Handling - On (Engage with 1 push of the button)
Turning off TCS allows the rear wheels to spin, but allows the Active Handling to fully assist in skid control.
This is recommended for drag racing.

3. Traction Control - Off .... Active Handling - Reduced (Engage with 2 pushes of the button)
This is the Competitive Driving Mode which allows the rear wheels to spin, while reducing some of the input that Active Handling has to assist in skid control.
This is recommended for road racing.

4. Traction Control - Off .... Active Handling - Off (Engage by holding button for at least 5 sec.)
This may be used when the driver does not want any on-board sensor input that may effect power reduction or brake application.
No rear wheel spin or vehicle skid corrections are automatically applied.

Note: The Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) is always on and is unaffected by the various Traction Control or Active Handling selections that may be made above.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Gary-kq6rt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. Next time I go to the track I will just try Traction control off and see what happens.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:20 PM
1500cc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Odd, when I've wanted to play around a bit I just hit the button once (I thought I was turning everything off), and it lets me hang the rear end out quite nicely. But if I leave it in the default mode, it cuts power at the first hint of a slide. By those descriptions I would have thought hitting just once wouldn't allow a slide either but it does.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:53 PM
JAvery20
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Active handling reduced aka Comp mode realllllly lets the car get out on you.

I always ran comp mode in my c5 and it came on quickly. The one on the c6 has quite a bit more leeway, just an FYI.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:43 AM
forbiddenvette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now if you are on the street would using TC and AH be best? It usually keeps me out of trouble when mashing it into forth. Can active handling chop throttle in straight line thrusts?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:48 AM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by forbiddenvette
Now if you are on the street would using TC and AH be best? It usually keeps me out of trouble when mashing it into forth. Can active handling chop throttle in straight line thrusts?
It's up to you if you want TC to intervene. With traction control off and active handling on, active handling wont kill the power, but it will add braking to the wheels to try to straighten the car out. So forward thrust will be slightly less.

I don't have PTM so I prefer to drive in competitve mode. I like to be able to spin the tires with no intervention and have no intervention in steering inputs unless I'm really sideways. It annoying adding countersteer and then having active handling kick on, which upsets the chassis.

Get notified of new replies

To Traction Modes - What's really the difference

Quick Reply: Traction Modes - What's really the difference