C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transporting a car home without plates

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Theburninator
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transporting a car home without plates

OK, so here's my conundrum:

I'm from Oklahoma and planning to fly out to Maryland to pick up my first Corvette next weekend. While trying to figure out the last few details, it seems that in Maryland, license plates stay with the owner whereas in Oklahoma they stay with the car. So that leaves me with the very real possibility of having to drive back without plates unless the previous owner lets me mail them back to him.

Of course the simple solution would be to get a temporary plate...but of course Oklahoma does not offer such a thing unless you're a used car dealer (I'm not). I don't think I'd be able to get one from another state being that I'm not a resident.

So any suggestions/ideas on what I could do? I will have insurance on the car for the drive back, so that will be covered. Maybe make a paper tag up and notate something on it?? I'm really struggling to come up with a good idea here, so I'm counting on you guys to help me out

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2014, 11:51 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

DMV must have a solution for just this circumstance. Temp plates for the car with the seller keeping his plates or allowing the plates to go with the car due to it being registered next, in another state. Contact them and ask.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/vehicles/registration/
Old 10-03-2014, 11:54 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by Theburninator
OK, so here's my conundrum:

I'm from Oklahoma and planning to fly out to Maryland to pick up my first Corvette next weekend. While trying to figure out the last few details, it seems that in Maryland, license plates stay with the owner whereas in Oklahoma they stay with the car. So that leaves me with the very real possibility of having to drive back without plates unless the previous owner lets me mail them back to him.

Of course the simple solution would be to get a temporary plate...but of course Oklahoma does not offer such a thing unless you're a used car dealer (I'm not). I don't think I'd be able to get one from another state being that I'm not a resident.

So any suggestions/ideas on what I could do? I will have insurance on the car for the drive back, so that will be covered. Maybe make a paper tag up and notate something on it?? I'm really struggling to come up with a good idea here, so I'm counting on you guys to help me out

Thanks!
I would do 2 things:

1) Check with the DMV in Oklahoma to see what the rules are for buying a car out of state and registering in Oklahoma.

2) Check with the DMV in Maryland to see if they offer a temporary plate for transit out of state.

When I bought my car in Ohio, I got a temporary 30 day plate for transit from Ohio DMV, and registered and paid taxes in my state (province)

Good Luck
Old 10-04-2014, 01:29 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,051 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Ditto, most states have 30 day transport plates (paper) that you can buy for way on the cheap.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:51 AM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

As long as you have paperwork that proves you just bought the car, I would think the worse thing that could happen would be a fixit ticket. Could you maybe be over-thinking it?
Old 10-04-2014, 05:21 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,051 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Here you go, and you can take the tag with you when you fly out.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mv.../27300-57T.htm
Old 10-04-2014, 07:32 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Here you go, and you can take the tag with you when you fly out.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mv.../27300-57T.htm
That is only for military with a signature of a commanding officer or
a 30 day temporary registration will be issued for the purpose of transporting the vehicle to and from an inspection station or weigh station or both.
Neither apply to the OP.

Oklahoma says
I just bought a vehicle in Texas. How do I get an Oklahoma tag?
Just visit your local tag office with the manufacturer's certificate of origin or the current title signed over to you, the bill of sale, and proof of insurance. The title and registration process is the same as if you bought the vehicle in Oklahoma.
They are essentially saying, buy the car and get the title, go to the DMV, then go get the car.

Originally Posted by bobeast
As long as you have paperwork that proves you just bought the car, I would think the worse thing that could happen would be a fixit ticket. Could you maybe be over-thinking it?
Drive reasonable and the odds of getting stopped will be very low. If you are stopped, an explanation of the situation should suffice. If you do get a ticket, go to court and I can't imagine any judge not throwing it out especially if you have it properly registered by the court date.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 344 Posts

Just leave the tag on the car and mail it back.
Here in Alabama, when I bought my Corvette, the previous owner left the tag on the car. He never came back for it. The tag is supposed to stay with the owner here.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:48 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

30 day temp tags are NOT the norm; many states offer weekly temps or daily/3-day tags. Driving without anything where the plates should be is not great either. A new car fr. CA actually comes w/ nothing, not even paper to put in rear glass---and will get you a ticket from a zealous officer. And it may require you show up to defend yourself---don't want to travel back to MD or any state in between?

So, if you can't get an MD temp tag* to take with you, I suggest going to any new car dealer and getting one of their cardboard/plastic plates w. their name on it and putting it on the rear plate area. Yes, it's no more legal than putting a picture of your dog on the car, but it does work for some states and some officers who would otherwise stop you---I know from talking with officers, plural, and doing it. That's AFTER getting a ticket for no plates of any kind.

And bring a full sales document with you, be it from an individual or car company. It won't work with some officers, but with others if you're stopped, it will suffice. I've had it both ways---worked and not worked.

*Contact MD DMV; they do offer 30 and 60 day temp tags, at least to dealers. I'm running on one right now and the car will be registerd in VA.

Last edited by AORoads; 10-04-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:54 AM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

In the state I lived in at the time I sold a car and let the buyer take the plates to transport the car home....I should have kept them. Later I received a letter from the state where the buyer lived saying I owed around $80 in overtime parking tickets......so don't be surprised if your seller doesn't let you have the plate....I'd take a sheet of printer paper and write " IN TRANSIT" in large enough letters to be seen and tape to the back window. At least any LEO would see you weren't trying to hide the fact you didn't have a plate...and you could show them the purchase papers you have.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Theburninator
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions so far. If I can't borrow the plates I'm thinking I'll write "in transit" on an old Oklahoma dealer temporary plate from a previous car and carry all the sales paperwork with me. Still open to any better suggestions though!

I doubt Maryland will let me get a temporary since I'm not a resident. I am military, but not a Maryland resident for the military temp tag.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:33 AM
funymuny
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with most saying that as long as the paperwork is in order demonstrating you just purchased and you are driving it home I believe things would work out fine. I might be naive but I would do that without batting an eye. I would confirm that insurance coverage on the car can be verified with my insurer. State Farm I believe automatically covers for 30 days (or used to...so much changes). A call or an email to your agent saying I just bought this car and am driving it home...provide the make/model/VIN. Just something to show if stopped for some reason. The plate issue just doesn't seem like a big deal in that circumstance. Mark
Old 10-04-2014, 09:57 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by funymuny
Agree with most saying that as long as the paperwork is in order demonstrating you just purchased and you are driving it home I believe things would work out fine. I might be naive but I would do that without batting an eye. I would confirm that insurance coverage on the car can be verified with my insurer. State Farm I believe automatically covers for 30 days (or used to...so much changes). A call or an email to your agent saying I just bought this car and am driving it home...provide the make/model/VIN. Just something to show if stopped for some reason. The plate issue just doesn't seem like a big deal in that circumstance. Mark
that's what I do. Insurance Co e-mails proof insurance card that I print off and carry along with all paper work/bill of sale and obey all traffic laws. With that said, I have never been pulled over so I'm not sure what would happen next Mabey some LEO's will chime in with what normal protocol is.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:02 AM
silvrhand
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

take the tags from your car with you at least then at a glance you won't get pulled over.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:07 AM
funymuny
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my opinion taking plates registered to another car and putting them on the transport car indicates and intent to deceive. IF pulled over THEN you have to explain, defend, etc. I'm not always a good two shoes but transporting a car does not seem to be high risk so, again, imo, no reason to hide anything. Obviously the odds are in favor of not being stopped, agree. But crazy things happen. Could be in an accident and not be at fault. I say play it straight.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:38 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

just buy the car and have him send you the appropriate paper work, and register in your state. go pick up the car or trailer it
Old 10-04-2014, 11:14 AM
whiteboy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Google is your friend

Originally Posted by Theburninator
Thanks for the suggestions so far. If I can't borrow the plates I'm thinking I'll write "in transit" on an old Oklahoma dealer temporary plate from a previous car and carry all the sales paperwork with me. Still open to any better suggestions though!

I doubt Maryland will let me get a temporary since I'm not a resident. I am military, but not a Maryland resident for the military temp tag.
Google Maryland DMV and see what requirements they have for a temp tag. Most states offer temp tags. I am sure sellers agreement and proof of your insurance are part of the requirements. Bought mine in NC and buyers agreement, proof of insurance and $15.00 for a 30 day temp tag. Bet Maryland is simular. Good Luck and enjoy the drive home.

Get notified of new replies

To Transporting a car home without plates

Old 10-04-2014, 12:34 PM
high9s
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bobeast
+1 I have done this before, as long as you have the dated bill of sale and proof of insurance and are heading towards the address on your license you should not have a problem.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

My buddy recently sold his C5 to a "non resident" and our DMV let him buy a Temporary (in transit) registration the same day for a small fee. He picked the car up, brought the title to DMV with the reciept of money transfer (check copy or such) and without incident they gave him a Temp plate. Keep in mind, here in NJ are the most stupid and corrupt politicians in the U.S. (at least according to our residents, alot of whom are still without houses after Sandy more then 2 yrs later) and yet the buyer of an "out of state" car and residence was able to get a plate to transport.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:59 PM
johnny3
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I had the same worry/problem when I bought a 09 2 yrs. ago from a guy in Omaha,(tag stays with owner in Nebraska). Okla. had no provisions for a temp. tag for an individual, tag agency said "you'll have to trailer it".Bull S**T, the seller let me mail his tags back to him. I'd bet yours will too. If not, take one off another of your cars & take it with you an get a bill
of sale from the seller.

You'll find a lot of unemployed lawers on this Forum.

Last edited by johnny3; 10-04-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Transporting a car home without plates