C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 05:01 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
When the nozzle clicks off do not add one more drop. This should fix 99% of the problems. If not take it to a dealer and have it fixed. Better to pay to have it fixed than the possible problems that could occur.
Mine does it and I never add after it clicks off. Always has a fuel smell.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Billy Daniel
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duramaxsky
I get what you are saying. I haven't over filled the tank. It's the dripping noise plus the smell of fuel that worries me. It smells like gas even with half to1/4 tank and the dripping onsomething hot sound.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:22 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Daniel
I get what you are saying. I haven't over filled the tank. It's the dripping noise plus the smell of fuel that worries me. It smells like gas even with half to1/4 tank and the dripping onsomething hot sound.
Mine only dose it right after filling it. It is gone next time I drive it. But it is bad inside the car right after I fill it. Unless the top is down then I do not smell it.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:46 PM
Billy Daniel
7th Gear

Mine only dose it right after filling it. It is gone next time I drive it. But it is bad inside the car right after I fill it. Unless the top is down then I do not smell it.
Makes me wonder in your case at least, if maybe it may be leaking from gas cap to gas tank? Just guessing. Hope it is nothing. I'll find out about mine friday. Hope i'ts what l think after reading this thread just because I have the warranty. But either way just want it to be right and to know that it's right and safe. No worries ya know.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:02 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was woundering if everyone that gets the smell is using E 10 or E 85 fuel?
My 2008 is a stinker if it is full or empty.More smell when tanks are full but they smell all the way down to empty .I though it was a gas cap so I replaced it knowing if the cap is bad usually it will throw a light or the car would run like crap.Does anyone have pics or the tank out of the car to where you can see where it is leaking,for those that have had it repaired?
Old 12-25-2014, 07:25 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by RainMan12
The other issue no one has talked about is re-occurrence.

Even after GM does the repair and replaces the fuel pump, as far as I know, they are replacing it with the exact same pump with the same part number. So this means a few years down the road, you could have to repeat this whole nightmare all over again.

Here is a photo showing how the gas runs down the back side of the fuel tank, right next to the exhaust. You can see the stain on the tank.

Here is a photo of the cracks in the fuel pump that are causing the leak.

See photos above. It really is pretty simple, if you can smell gas, you have a leak.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Billy Daniel
7th Gear

Originally Posted by CSixDude
See photos above. It really is pretty simple, if you can smell gas, you have a leak.
I went out to my 07 and looked under the car just in front of driver side rear wheel to see the bottom corner of the fuel tank and saw the gas trail on the outside of the tank.so it is definitely leaking. Droping car off at the dealership in the morning. Made a appointment yesterday. I'm a bit nervous about taking it to the dealership. Wish me luck. Will let you guys know what happens.
The following users liked this post:
Olnavy (03-01-2019)
Old 12-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Billy Daniel
7th Gear

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
I was woundering if everyone that gets the smell is using E 10 or E 85 fuel?
My 2008 is a stinker if it is full or empty.More smell when tanks are full but they smell all the way down to empty .I though it was a gas cap so I replaced it knowing if the cap is bad usually it will throw a light or the car would run like crap.Does anyone have pics or the tank out of the car to where you can see where it is leaking,for those that have had it repaired?
Try looking under your car in front of driverside rear wheel. You might be able to see a sign of a leak. It's worth a try. I did and I saw the fuel trail outside the tank. But if you are smelling gas I agree you got a leak.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:35 PM
Billy Daniel
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Billy Daniel
I went out to my 07 and looked under the car just in front of driver side rear wheel to see the bottom corner of the fuel tank and saw the gas trail on the outside of the tank.so it is definitely leaking. Droping car off at the dealership in the morning. Made a appointment yesterday. I'm a bit nervous about taking it to the dealership. Wish me luck. Will let you guys know what happens.
Yep, Dealership called today they said I need a new tank, pump, and harness.Extended warranty coverage paying the bill.Sure am glad I got it.Would have been in bad shape without it.Anyway getting it taking care of.I'm glad I read about this.Thanks everyone for the info!
Old 12-31-2014, 05:45 PM
donaldg
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to see this forum while searching with google, this thread is of interest to me because Sept. this year my 2009 standard coupe with 26000 or so miles started giving off a strong gas smell in the garage, took it to a dealer and it was determined the fuel module had a small crack in it, I paid nearly 3 thousand to get it replaced. They found it using the smoke test.
I contacted GM with the information and all they said is it is no longer under warranty.
I did the form today. By the way the replacement part was defective, the sending unit was bad and gave a false reading which was replaced one week later.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:41 AM
Billy Daniel
7th Gear

Originally Posted by donaldg
Happened to see this forum while searching with google, this thread is of interest to me because Sept. this year my 2009 standard coupe with 26000 or so miles started giving off a strong gas smell in the garage, took it to a dealer and it was determined the fuel module had a small crack in it, I paid nearly 3 thousand to get it replaced. They found it using the smoke test.
I contacted GM with the information and all they said is it is no longer under warranty.
I did the form today. By the way the replacement part was defective, the sending unit was bad and gave a false reading which was replaced one week later.
Yea, sounds like a nightmare! GM needs to do a recall about this. It's the only RIGHT to do! I hope my car is fixed for good. Probably not if the same exact parts that went bad are used to fix it with, and they are. So we'll see. Hopefully GM will do the right thing and recall. At least that way you can get reimbursed. I'm not going to let my extended warranty run out, not on this car. It just paid for itself.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:39 PM
djfury05
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems something like this might work for preventing future issues. Opinions?

http://www.foreinnovations.com/product_p/38-900.htm
Old 01-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Bullseye96
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other issue no one has talked about is re-occurrence.

Even after GM does the repair and replaces the fuel pump, as far as I know, they are replacing it with the exact same pump with the same part number. So this means a few years down the road, you could have to repeat this whole nightmare all over again.

Here is a photo showing how the gas runs down the back side of the fuel tank, right next to the exhaust. You can see the stain on the tank.

Here is a photo of the cracks in the fuel pump that are causing the leak.

So I've been living with this fuel odor since I bought my C6 from a friend a few months ago. It's really stout and permeates my house though the garage door. So after doing some research on this looking for common issues I came across this thread. I pulled my driver side fender liner last night and sure enough it's leaking from the top of the tank and running down the side. Now, it's more of a seepage down the side since it's not making a puddle and it looks as if it's been doing it for a while. There is a foam pad between the tank and the metal louvered support plate that holds up the tank. I can't see any leaks coming from underneath because the foam is soaking up fuel like a sponge. So all of you that are at a loss for definitively locating your fuel smell, I highly recommend pulling that left rear fender liner.

RainMan12 mine is leaking to the left of the tank (as pictured above) where the indention in the tank is, not where yours was leaking next to that "U" shaped fuel line. Had I not taken off the fender liner I would not have seen it. I've been all under this car and all looked nice and dry. No MILs so I know it's not a cracked tank or else I'd be pulling EVAP codes. I'll be knocking this project out over the weekend and hopefully have a couple pics to post. I may also make a youtube video to illustrate for other C6 owners where their leak may be coming from. It won't be a step by step just for diagnostic reference.

I'll fill out the form after I get the job done so I can properly describe to the NHTSA what the fix was.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:31 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Old 01-07-2015, 09:33 PM
corvettecolin
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullseye96
So I've been living with this fuel odor since I bought my C6 from a friend a few months ago. It's really stout and permeates my house though the garage door. So after doing some research on this looking for common issues I came across this thread. I pulled my driver side fender liner last night and sure enough it's leaking from the top of the tank and running down the side. Now, it's more of a seepage down the side since it's not making a puddle and it looks as if it's been doing it for a while. There is a foam pad between the tank and the metal louvered support plate that holds up the tank. I can't see any leaks coming from underneath because the foam is soaking up fuel like a sponge. So all of you that are at a loss for definitively locating your fuel smell, I highly recommend pulling that left rear fender liner.

RainMan12 mine is leaking to the left of the tank (as pictured above) where the indention in the tank is, not where yours was leaking next to that "U" shaped fuel line. Had I not taken off the fender liner I would not have seen it. I've been all under this car and all looked nice and dry. No MILs so I know it's not a cracked tank or else I'd be pulling EVAP codes. I'll be knocking this project out over the weekend and hopefully have a couple pics to post. I may also make a youtube video to illustrate for other C6 owners where their leak may be coming from. It won't be a step by step just for diagnostic reference.

I'll fill out the form after I get the job done so I can properly describe to the NHTSA what the fix was.
That will be great if you can post some pics and description of the work you do. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:38 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

After first click I can usually get up to 1+ more gallon in with spillage. The fuel odor disappears.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:48 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullseye96

Hopefully you don't have an automatic car. If so, you'll need to put the car on a lift and remove the transmission, rear end, and main rear suspension member before you can even think about pulling the tank. It's a big job any way you slice it.

The photos I posted were taken with the rear wheel and wheel-house liner (fender liner) removed. The dynamics of where the leak occur may be different in your car. If the fuel pump fitting is leaking, it actually creates a small high pressure SPRAY of fuel, and the direction of the spray may change depending on the direction the crack is pointing in. This spray only occurs when the engine is on and the fuel line is pressurized.

I have heard a couple reports of cracks in the tank itself, so there may be more than one failure scenario. Hopefully NHTSA will take action on this if we can get enough folks to report the issue.

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 01-08-2015, 05:57 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully you don't have an automatic car. If so, you'll need to put the car on a lift and remove the transmission, rear end, and main rear suspension member before you can even think about pulling the tank. It's a big job any way you slice it.

The photos I posted were taken with the rear wheel and wheel-house liner (fender liner) removed. The dynamics of where the leak occur may be different in your car. If the fuel pump fitting is leaking, it actually creates a small high pressure SPRAY of fuel, and the direction of the spray may change depending on the direction the crack is pointing in. This spray only occurs when the engine is on and the fuel line is pressurized.

I have heard a couple reports of cracks in the tank itself, so there may be more than one failure scenario. Hopefully NHTSA will take action on this if we can get enough folks to report the issue.
For those that can't smell ,When I get out of my car I can smell the fuel as I get out of the seat when exiting the car , my nose is right at the gas tank door.If you open the gass tank door you can see a lot of dirt inside the gas cap and inside the door.
I guess it is my turn ,Car goes to Dlr on tuesday .
I have been quoted 2k for the fuel pump replacement.
I looked up an Aeromotive pump for the car but they say they realy are not plug and play so the drama goes on .I guess I will have to go with the extended warranty and see what they say,lucky I have one of those my car just clicked 50k last week when it was at the Chevy Dlr last week for the rear end noise
Ah just threw a solid code I disconected the battery and cleared the codes .16 miles later threw a check engine light again I checked the codes and it is a po code and engine has what feels like a slight miss at idle.
I will try and get some pics

Last edited by REDC4CORVETTE; 01-08-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:27 PM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
For those that can't smell ,When I get out of my car I can smell the fuel as I get out of the seat when exiting the car , my nose is right at the gas tank door.If you open the gass tank door you can see a lot of dirt inside the gas cap and inside the door.
I guess it is my turn ,Car goes to Dlr on tuesday .
I have been quoted 2k for the fuel pump replacement.
I looked up an Aeromotive pump for the car but they say they realy are not plug and play so the drama goes on .I guess I will have to go with the extended warranty and see what they say,lucky I have one of those my car just clicked 50k last week when it was at the Chevy Dlr last week for the rear end noise
Ah just threw a solid code I disconected the battery and cleared the codes .16 miles later threw a check engine light again I checked the codes and it is a po code and engine has what feels like a slight miss at idle.
I will try and get some pics
If the fuel leak is bad enough, it can cause a miss due to low fuel pressure.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:48 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Has this occurred with alot of Corvettes or is it isolated and random on a few Corvettes?

Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *