C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 04:01 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
The smoke test is a waste of time, it won't show anything for the leak in the fitting on top of the fuel pump.
The smoke test is in the gm recall as first step to test the issue. Care to explain further why you say smoke test is a waste of time?
Old 04-10-2017, 07:29 PM
cburke3344
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1966427
The smoke test is in the gm recall as first step to test the issue. Care to explain further why you say smoke test is a waste of time?

My dealer did smoke test worked great got part asp car was done in 2 days. Don't know why u would say the smoke test is a joke.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:40 PM
Mullin Motorsports
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bassman50
Dave, I've a 2007 Z51 also and no gas smell. I am the fourth owner of the car, which I understand has spent its entire life in California. I don't know if we should be concerned or not - - most of the problems reported according to this thread have to do with the use of E85 fuel, or with 2008 or later cars, to my understanding. I worry about the horrible roads in our area and the vibration which "might" eventually cause a failure, but again, just my thoughts. GM will not address this voluntary recall issue on cars without the smell of gas.

As for registering your car with GM, if you have gone to your local or preferred GM dealer for any service work, your car's VIN should be entered into the system. GM should mail any subsequent recall notices to you as necessary. Also, you might request a VIS report from the GM service rep if you haven't done so already. This report will show whats has been done (at any GM dealership) and if prior recalls have been addressed, as applicable. Hope this info helps.

Steve
Thanks Bassman. I did go to my local Chevy store, and the Service Writer was very helpful. He printed out all past service, which included a new rear gear assembly, the under hood Buss panel harness recall, and a few other odds and ends. My car did not have the gas tank or harness under the passenger seat repaired to date, and I'm running out of time, but there's no problem, so they won't do anything. Honestly, we always said if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

He also printed out my build sheet, without me asking. Nice guy.

Regarding E-85, I wouldn't use it.. Yes the ethanol has a higher octane, and it works to cool the intake charge, but ethanol also has some very nasty properties. It absorbs water and is very corrosive to metal components in the fuel system, and dries rubber parts. It may even attack plastic parts. I don't know this for sure, but I will never use E-85 in my cars. In addition it's not efficient. The AFR for E-85 is about 7-8 to 1, where as Gasoline is about 13-15 to 1, depending on your engine combination. Plus it stinks.

We tried E-85 in our race car, and it was a hassle. The stuff is inconsistent coming out of the pump, and the race stuff wasn't right either. Any variation from exactly 15% ethanol and you must make adjustments in your fuel system if you're running carbs. Ultimately we switched to methanol. Ok so I'm off topic.

Dave
Old 04-14-2017, 04:11 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by cburke3344
My dealer did smoke test worked great got part asp car was done in 2 days. Don't know why u would say the smoke test is a joke.
Because the smoke test is used to find vapor leaks, not leaks in the fuel line or fittings. The point where the fuel is leaking is where the output of the fuel pump is connected to the fuel line. You won't be able to get smoke into that joint because it is filled with fuel.

Last edited by CSixDude; 04-14-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:29 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
Because the smoke test is used to find vapor leaks, not leaks in the fuel line or fittings. The point where the fuel is leaking is where the output of the fuel pump is connected to the fuel line. You won't be able to get smoke into that joint because it is filled with fuel.

I have to agree with this because my car passed the smoke test, but I still smell fuel when over half full. What can I do regarding getting this fixed under the special coverage if it passes the smoke test?
Old 04-21-2017, 04:10 PM
TexasRoadBurner
Intermediate

Default Got My GM Gas Tank Replacement Refund (Sort of)

As one of the earlier posters on the fuel tank issue (~2+ years ago), I did the smoke test (useless as pointed out) at a performance shop and they found nothing. Then a new EVAP canister at same "performance" shop (Cedar Park, TX) which did not fix the problem at all. BTW, does a dyno machine constitute a performance shop? Anywhooo....

Long story short, after all that, I took it to the Chevy dealer in Georgetown, TX and they determined it was the fuel pump (apparently they were well aware of problem). After an insanely high quote ($~2700 or so for the job), I contacted GM Exec Customer Service. GM Customer care said they would pay for the parts if would cover the labor or ~$1350.00. I said YES, because I did not want to blow up my house or car and I'm not into huffing gasoline when I drive 85 mph on Texas roads. I'm pretty sure there are laws on the books in TX about hallucinating while driving.

Then GM said, "If this ever gets to a point of proactive field replacement (PFR) or recall, we'll refund you the $1350.

Well, we now know that it has reached a level of PFR or recall. I got a letter from GM saying "we are gonna pay you back all the cash ($1350) you laid down for the labor. I said great!! Got my check the other day and it was only for $697. I was like WTF? So I called GM center (they are actually pretty helpful there) and they looked into it. Apparently the job "needed additional parts" that were part of the labor quote from the dealer. In the end, I never expected to get a dime back from GM for this, so the $697 is better than nothing. Was it sleezy of GM and the dealer to do that? Yes, but like I said, I never expected a dime back, so I am happy. Used the money to buy a new fridge for my daughters house warming gift.

2007 C6 Z51 convertible (yes the Z51 has grease zerks on the rear wheels. Grease 'em boys and girls) with 68K on the clock. Part's replaced to date.

EVAP Canister
Water Pump
Radiator
Gas Tank and Fuel Pump
Starter (3rd one)
MAF Sensor (I did that one. It's easy).

I wish we had Sunoco gas in Austin
Old 04-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

So I took the car back after it passed the smoke test because I know I could smell fuel. I brought it back this time with a full tank and they just called me. They did find an issue this time and the parts are on order. Very relieved!
Old 05-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Jharms
Instructor

I need some advice here. I have this very problem. When I fill my gas tank, the garage fills with gas fumes. I replaced the gas cap just to rule that out as a possible problem. I filled out the complaint on the NHTSA website and soon thereafter got a "Special Coverage" letter. I took it in to one dealer and they kept the car for a week and returned it with an explanation that there was no visual problem with the fuel pumps. They claimed to have dropped the tanks to visually verify. They also ignored other problems that I asked them to diagnose...but that's a different problem. I gave the dealer a less than favorable response to their survey because it still has the fuel smell. After some back and forth email communications, they gave me the approval to take it to another dealer to diagnose with the understanding that I would have to pay if nothing was found. I just got the call from the dealer saying that they did a pressure test and found no fault. Even if the fuel pumps are not leaking, there is some reason the car emits fuel fumes. I asked them to diagnose the source even if it wasn't related to the issue identified in the special coverage letter. I haven't picked up my car yet as they are doing some additional work.

Should I take "no problem found" as the answer and keep driving it? That just doesn't feel like the right answer but I don't know what else I can do. It's my daily driver so I can't just let it sit in the garage.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:37 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Sounds fishy that first dealer dropped the tanks My understanding is the rear end has to be dropped too. The whole reason for extending the warranty was the smell and there has to be a reason for it If i was the dealer and had gone through the whole deal they should have just replaced the parts that GM deemed defective. Good luck with it
The following users liked this post:
Jharms (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 01:08 PM
bassman50
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd be highly suspect that your dealer's service department didn't do a proper job. If they dropped the tanks they should have replaced the parts on general principles. Sounds like they didn't want to do the job and they padded their warranty bill by saying they dropped the tanks when they probably didn't. I'd find another dealer. . .
Old 05-03-2017, 02:40 PM
Jharms
Instructor

Originally Posted by bassman50
I'd be highly suspect that your dealer's service department didn't do a proper job. If they dropped the tanks they should have replaced the parts on general principles. Sounds like they didn't want to do the job and they padded their warranty bill by saying they dropped the tanks when they probably didn't. I'd find another dealer. . .
Yeah, I question if they did anything at all. They were also supposed to diagnose/fix belt/pulley chirp. The paperwork said the chirp was intermittent and no repair was recommended at this time. It's a pretty steady chirp. Granted, it has more pulleys than original (supercharger), but if they didn't want to mess with it, they should have said so. They were also supposed to diagnose/repair an oil pan oil leak. That wasn't even on the paperwork and it still leaks.

They may have dropped the tanks; however, I seriously doubt it.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:59 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

So I picked up my car after having this service performed, but it is now taking roughly 8 seconds for the car to start now. It happened when I first picked it up and I just figured it was because of the new fuel pump. It continued to do it this morning and the way home from picking it up.

Did they likely screw something up? I did some searching and it seems like this shouldn't be happening, but it is a common problem. Really hate to have to bring it back to the dealer, but I don't think I have a choice.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:07 PM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jharms
Yeah, I question if they did anything at all. They were also supposed to diagnose/fix belt/pulley chirp. The paperwork said the chirp was intermittent and no repair was recommended at this time. It's a pretty steady chirp. Granted, it has more pulleys than original (supercharger), but if they didn't want to mess with it, they should have said so. They were also supposed to diagnose/repair an oil pan oil leak. That wasn't even on the paperwork and it still leaks.

They may have dropped the tanks; however, I seriously doubt it.
As far as your chirp, it's the harmonic balancer that is the problem. I had mine (2008 model) changed just last December. It's very common and the only solution is replacing. It's kind of a big job too. I had a shop do it. I did go with an improved aftermarket balancer because I didn't want to take a chance of this ever happening again.

I did change my fuel pump myself in my car a couple of months ago. I could have had it done for free but decided to buy a new pump and do the job myself. I was afraid of having issues just like you guys are describing if I took it to the dealer.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Jharms
Instructor

Originally Posted by roger55
As far as your chirp, it's the harmonic balancer that is the problem. I had mine (2008 model) changed just last December. It's very common and the only solution is replacing. It's kind of a big job too. I had a shop do it. I did go with an improved aftermarket balancer because I didn't want to take a chance of this ever happening again.

I did change my fuel pump myself in my car a couple of months ago. I could have had it done for free but decided to buy a new pump and do the job myself. I was afraid of having issues just like you guys are describing if I took it to the dealer.
It may be the harmonic balancer. I replaced it in my old C5, but I don't think I'm going to try it on this car.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:24 PM
Jharms
Instructor

The dealer said that my 2007 didn't fail the smoke test so they said there was nothing wrong with my fuel system. They declined to troubleshoot it to the root cause of my fuel smell when the tank is full. The service advisor said the mechanic suspected that it could be coming from the supercharger. Isn't that just air? Anyway, two dealers said that my problem wasn't covered by the special coverage campaign. Back to square one on the fuel smell. Ideas?

The dealer also declined to diagnose/repair both the oil leak and the belt/pulley chirp. Probably for good reason. I've got a 390 iron block stroker with a little blower cam and they didn't want to work on the oil leak because of the cam. They didn't want to work on the chirp because of the supercharger. I guess I'm going to have to take it to a performance shop.

Oh, the woes of owning a hot rod! It sure is fun to drive, however!!!
Old 05-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jharms
The dealer said that my 2007 didn't fail the smoke test so they said there was nothing wrong with my fuel system. They declined to troubleshoot it to the root cause of my fuel smell when the tank is full. The service advisor said the mechanic suspected that it could be coming from the supercharger. Isn't that just air? Anyway, two dealers said that my problem wasn't covered by the special coverage campaign. Back to square one on the fuel smell. Ideas?

The dealer also declined to diagnose/repair both the oil leak and the belt/pulley chirp. Probably for good reason. I've got a 390 iron block stroker with a little blower cam and they didn't want to work on the oil leak because of the cam. They didn't want to work on the chirp because of the supercharger. I guess I'm going to have to take it to a performance shop.

Oh, the woes of owning a hot rod! It sure is fun to drive, however!!!
Take it to another dealer or insist there is an issue. I took it to the same dealer after it passed the smoke test. They said no issues. I took it back a couple days later once I smelled it again. I brought it to them this time with a full tank. They could smell it this time. They dropped the tank and found the issue.

I doubt they dropped the tank when they inspected yours initially. Just did the smoke test and called it. Like I said, the smoke test PASSED on my car despite the issue existing.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:56 PM
Teabrook
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my 2008 to a dealer who represents GM in Australia. They say as there is no official recall, they will not perform the works. The fumes in my car give me a headache they are so strong. I put my vin in the GM website to bring up the recall, and there is no official recall for this particular problem. GM's representative in Australia Qld (Performax) will not accept the special bulletin as a recall. I don't know whether this is on advice from GM or whether it's their personal decision. Does anyone please have a direct contact email for someone associated with this problem at GM so I can discuss with them and resolve this issue? It would be much appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 05-07-2017, 08:41 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Teabrook
I took my 2008 to a dealer who represents GM in Australia. They say as there is no official recall, they will not perform the works. The fumes in my car give me a headache they are so strong. I put my vin in the GM website to bring up the recall, and there is no official recall for this particular problem. GM's representative in Australia Qld (Performax) will not accept the special bulletin as a recall. I don't know whether this is on advice from GM or whether it's their personal decision. Does anyone please have a direct contact email for someone associated with this problem at GM so I can discuss with them and resolve this issue? It would be much appreciated.
Its not a recall they extended the warranty on this part to 10 years or 120,000 miles
The following users liked this post:
Teabrook (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 08:47 PM
Teabrook
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmhornz71
Its not a recall they extended the warranty on this part to 10 years or 120,000 miles
Ahh, thankyou! I wonder if I am wasting my time - I am the third owner and in another country.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:27 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Teabrook
Ahh, thankyou! I wonder if I am wasting my time - I am the third owner and in another country.
i have to think GM did this because of pressure from NHTSA. they have no influence outside the US.

Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *