C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 back to a C6 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 01:14 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't know about the switching from 4 cyl. to 8 cyl. when I want power.

I have it in my Silverado, and it has hesitation.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:35 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
NOBODY on this forum will admit that they can't afford it even if it were true.
I can't afford it! Not even close. My $330 car-payment for my C6 makes me cringe.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:54 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I have to say I really miss some of the members that moved on to the C7 section, even you....... a little anyways
Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment.

I really love my C7 and enjoy it more than my C6. Due to styling, or other factors, many C7 owners are first time Vette owners and an overall younger demographic. That's a good thing for GM. The flavor and tone of the C7 Gen forum is very different than this forum.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:25 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,466 Likes on 2,276 Posts

Originally Posted by vettesmith02
I don't know about the switching from 4 cyl. to 8 cyl. when I want power.

I have it in my Silverado, and it has hesitation.
On the stickshift Stingray, the AFM never operates unless, and only, if you put it in eco mode. If you never put it eco mode, the V4 AFM will never operate.

On the auto trans Stingray, tho, it'll operate in any mode if the load conditions are present.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:30 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
.Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment

I really love my C7 and enjoy it more than my C6. Due to styling, or other factors, many C7 owners are first time Vette owners and an overall younger demographic. That's a good thing for GM. The flavor and tone of the C7 Gen forum is very different than this forum.
As it was intended.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:36 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by OnPoint
On the stickshift Stingray, the AFM never operates unless, and only, if you put it in eco mode. If you never put it eco mode, the V4 AFM will never operate.

On the auto trans Stingray, tho, it'll operate in any mode if the load conditions are present.
Not true. It will not go into Eco mode if it's in Sport or Track mode and the trans is in M so you're using the paddles. Mine hasn't come out of Sport mode and M trans mode since I bought it last April.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:38 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint

I would have auto... Therefore, it will operate...

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2015, 03:44 PM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a totally different take on the c6 vs c7 debate......I intentionally waited for the Stingray to arrive before shopping for a c6.....I knew that the market would have alot of very nice trade ins that the over excited 'gotta have it first' buyers would be getting ripped off on from the dealers..... and surprisingly to myself, I opted for a rare color 2012 manual coupe that came available over looking for the exact options on a gs that I thought I wanted... couldn't be happier.

Don't get me wrong....I like the c7 for many reasons...the forward tech progress...the interior..the front clips and headlight integration are wicked....(which is the one weak spot in the appearance of the c6)
But I liked it more for its leverage on the almost new c6 market...... I rarely buy new.... but almost new is even better....simple; more bang for the buck... but it's less a matter of could you afford a c7 for me(I could buy a dozen if I didn't care about the future) and I have an incredible ride that I love.... I will prob own a c7 at some point & maybe even keep the Inferno too.....
Old 01-04-2015, 04:03 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment.

Not so sure that's going to do anything for them long term. I don't see a whole lot of loyalty with the younger generation, maybe I'm wrong.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Well, with more years behind me than I have in front on me there will be a C7 in the garage in the future the Lord willing. But if nothing changes by the time I get one, the first stop I'll make is the body shop to have the azz end painted one color.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:52 PM
Peek
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military an Option?

Originally Posted by Jet Jockey & C5
While I respect everyone's right to their opinion, I'm going to vigorously advocate just the opposite!

I too am a professional Corporate Pilot since 1977. My job as VP of Aviation for one of America's Fortune 300 companies is unequaled in enjoyment and satisfaction! Fortunately in my flight department, we have created a grateful attitude where we regularly remind ourselves how blessed we are to have these jobs getting paid well to fly some of the finest jets in the world! We all like one another, work well as a team, and have a saying: "This beats working for a living ANY day!"

So I would strongly recommend young folks consider pro aviation for a career. Certainly any job has drawbacks, and uncertainty, but if you are born to fly and fix these wondrous flying machines, then you won't be happy doing anything else. I've got a line of young aviators begging to come to work for us too! We believe in mentoring process, so we are always helping young folks find their way in Aviation.
I would encourage your son to at least check out the military option - can't beat the price! ROTC provides other bennies as well when it comes to life skills. And I was also just wondering if your flight department has a line for helicopter pilots - maybe a short one for old (not that old) guys? Can't hurt to ask - I live here in GA as well.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:01 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,466 Likes on 2,276 Posts

Not true. It will not go into Eco mode if it's in Sport or Track mode and the trans is in M so you're using the paddles. Mine hasn't come out of Sport mode and M trans mode since I bought it last April.
You are correct - auto in manual mode shifted with the paddles will keep it out.

My main intent was to point out to the member that the M7 won't ever go into AFM unless he affirmatively and intentionally chooses to put it there, as he was expressing a desire to avoid AFM operation. I didn't know if he was willing to consider an M7, but wanted to point that out to him in case he was as that might put his mind at ease on that front.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:30 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

My first ever Corvette was a 2005 coupe. I loved that car as much as anyone has ever loved their Corvette and honestly thought I'd keep it forever. When the C7 was unveiled I was lukewarm on its styling at best.

Seeing the Stingray in person for the first time was a bit of an eye opener. Though I've never been able to articulate the reasons why, to my eyes the car looked much better in person than in pictures or on a computer screen. After that first in person encounter I actually thought about buying one some day.

The final straw came with my first C7 driving experience. After 10 minutes behind the wheel it was all over - the decision to buy one was made (even though I really couldn't afford it). I've had my '15 Z51 coupe for four months and wouldn't consider turning back. As much as I loved the '05, this car blows it away in every regard.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:58 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

How many remember the similar discussions amongst Vette people back when the C4 morphed into the C5?
Old 01-05-2015, 07:05 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mpuzach
My first ever Corvette was a 2005 coupe. I loved that car as much as anyone has ever loved their Corvette and honestly thought I'd keep it forever. When the C7 was unveiled I was lukewarm on its styling at best.

Seeing the Stingray in person for the first time was a bit of an eye opener. Though I've never been able to articulate the reasons why, to my eyes the car looked much better in person than in pictures or on a computer screen. After that first in person encounter I actually thought about buying one some day.

The final straw came with my first C7 driving experience. After 10 minutes behind the wheel it was all over - the decision to buy one was made (even though I really couldn't afford it). I've had my '15 Z51 coupe for four months and wouldn't consider turning back. As much as I loved the '05, this car blows it away in every regard.

Great looking Vette!! I think the darker colors DO give the C7 a "don't mess with me" kind of look......if I didn't have a 12 GS, and still owned my 05, I'd be joining you. The look and feel of the GS will probably be good enough for me for quite a while! Enjoy!
Old 01-05-2015, 08:21 PM
gary ss
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the picture,I forgot what one looked like!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:06 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Your car is absolutely beautiful with those silver wheels. Very good choice.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 back to a C6 ?

Old 01-06-2015, 02:42 PM
wrh3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After the C7 unveiling, I went and bought my first Corvette- a 2012 Grand Sport. I have loved the wide-body C6 since the Z06 came out. I also liked the C2, C3, C4, and C5 Corvettes. The C7 is growing on me a little but definitely not a love at first sight event although they do look better in person. We went to the Corvette Bash for the C7 event and the Z06 event the next year and I recently had the opportunity to drive my friend's Z51. Maybe in a few years after the beta testers have worked all the bugs out. For now I am almost completely satisfied with my 427, the second Corvette I have owned since the C7 release
Old 01-06-2015, 05:30 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

I have an A6 in my 12GS and keep it in "sport" mode all of the time....I get the same kick I used to get playing with the stick on my previous vettes WITHOUT the clutch hassle in slo-go traffic!
Old 01-06-2015, 05:45 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

[/URL]
That's one good looking C7. Great combo of that color and those wheels. I doubt I've seen a better looking one.

I think they did a wonderful job with the nose clip. I'm still ambivalent about the rear. Seen in person, it looks much better than in the pix. My problem isn't looks as much as tradition. Taking your halo car and sticking the recognizable rear end of a lesser car on it seems like a bizarre and incorrect choice.

Anyway, there is no doubt at all that your C7 is beautiful.

Quick Reply: C7 back to a C6 ?