C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painless wire jumper for lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:44 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by frankb
After reading all the things that could go wrong with the chevy dealers on putting in the wire jumper for the lights I was shocked to see not one problem. Took around 45 min. in and out at Hendricks chevy in kc. Also enjoyed another with the same problem talking about cars. We were looking at the new zo6 and its nice but I can't see spending that kind of money if I'm not racing. Anyway it worked out ok with no problems. For some of you that are on the fence as to go or not it was painless.( first time I had my car in the shop also).
Just curious, were you talking cars, and looking at the Z06 while waiting for your car, or did you actually watch the guy make the repair?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:31 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 336 Posts

So, does anyone know what the GM "fix" actually is? Are they taking the fuse box out and doing the same fix?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:36 AM
frankb
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister
Just curious, were you talking cars, and looking at the Z06 while waiting for your car, or did you actually watch the guy make the repair?
I was out front in the lobby talking with another vert owner looking at new zo6's They had 8 of them, 2 verts and 6 hardtops. They make it so you can't see the person working on your car. There was also 3 vette's being done same time as mine and then when leaving 2 more pulled up. I will say that there was not even a finger print on the outside of the car. Like some I was not sure if I should bring it in for service. I'm glad I did.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Vette'nFender
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

No problem here. In and out in a little over an hour. Got a good look at the new Stingrays. I must admit they look much better in person than in pictures. All in all it was an enjoyable visit to Thomas Chevrolet.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:51 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

I was out front in the lobby talking with another vert owner looking at new zo6's They had 8 of them, 2 verts and 6 hardtops. They make it so you can't see the person working on your car. There was also 3 vette's being done same time as mine and then when leaving 2 more pulled up. I will say that there was not even a finger print on the outside of the car. Like some I was not sure if I should bring it in for service. I'm glad I did.
I asked because my experiences with dealers has not been very good.

When you cannot see what they are doing, you're driving out blind, and hoping for the best.
It's like a crap shoot.

Hopefully, you have a responsible dealer, who used a GM trained Corvette tech, and you'll have no further issues.

Maybe someday, I'll live near a quality dealer.
The last time I brought my car in for an oil change, I had to tell them it was a 10.5 qt. dry sump system.
The guy doing the oil change, asked if I wanted Mobil 1, or regular oil.
I had to point out the fact that there are 2 drain plugs.
He explained the "regular guy" was off that day, and he never changed the oil in a Corvette before.
Unfortunately, that's the kind of service I am used to getting.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:25 AM
js292
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had mine done yesterday @ Freedom Chevrolet, and I ask the service writer if they actually replaced the broken wire in the fuse box and he said that they did. So I guess there is a 50/50 chance it was repaired correctly or just rigged.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:35 AM
frankb
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Hamster, I see you live in FL. and I would find the dealer who sell the most vette in your area and go to them. I have a chevy dealer 5 miles from my house and I drove 20 miles to get mine done. I guessed that if they don't sell but a few vettes that's not for me. I would have s#$t if they didn't know there were 2 drain plugs. In your case I wouldn't bring my car there either to have the jumper wire done or anything else. Hope you can find a good dealer.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by js292
Just had mine done yesterday @ Freedom Chevrolet, and I ask the service writer if they actually replaced the broken wire in the fuse box and he said that they did. So I guess there is a 50/50 chance it was repaired correctly or just rigged.
I doubt it very much.
They way in which you asked the question, made it easy for him to say yes they did.
He's not lying, by using the jumper wire, and the factory protocol, the broken wire is in effect being replaced.

However, I think you meant, did they use a jumper to replace the broken wire, or did they actually replace the broken wire itself.
Since you didn't ask the question in that way, you'll never know for sure, unless you take the fuse box apart.

I'm sure that every dealer will use the "jumper kit", that GM provides, and will follow the GM warranty repair protocol as well.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:43 AM
RDG5500
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
I just got a notice for this on my 10' GS. But it said a few of them are affected. How do I know if mine is one of them?
I took my 2010 to the local dealer Tuesday. They looked up the VIN number (I guess). Said they had parts on order & would call me when they come in to set up an appointment.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Hamster, I see you live in FL. and I would find the dealer who sell the most vette in your area and go to them. I have a chevy dealer 5 miles from my house and I drove 20 miles to get mine done. I guessed that if they don't sell but a few vettes that's not for me. I would have s#$t if they didn't know there were 2 drain plugs. In your case I wouldn't bring my car there either to have the jumper wire done or anything else. Hope you can find a good dealer.
Thanks, unfortunately for me, I have to drive 60 miles south, or about 125 miles north to find a dealer that sells Corvettes in volume.

All the dealers in my area, sell very few compared to volume dealers.

There are 4 Chevy dealers within a 30 mile radius of where I live, and none of them have more than 3 or 4 new ones in stock at any one time. Some have none.
None of them have a salesman that's really familiar with Corvettes.
When I ordered mine, I asked for the most experienced salesman they have.
He was a nice enough guy, but told me he only sells about 8 a year, and he's their "go to" guy for Corvettes.
Nearly every question I asked him he didn't know, and had to look it up, or as soon as he answered I knew he was guessing.

As for the jumper wire, I will not have it done, unless it's necessary.
I will be selling my '13 GS in about 3 years, it's not a DD, and will probably only have about 20,000 miles on it at that time.
Chances are I'll never see the headlamp issue.
Thanks for the input.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:17 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Watson Chevrolet dealer (service writer) in Tucson told me they had to order "the harness". That does not sound to me like one wire..........

Last edited by Jayhawk62; 01-22-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:28 PM
lawrencecar1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RDG5500
I took my 2010 to the local dealer Tuesday. They looked up the VIN number (I guess). Said they had parts on order & would call me when they come in to set up an appointment.
type your vin in here:

https://recalls.gm.com/#/
Old 01-22-2015, 01:29 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vistoso Vecino
The Watson Chevrolet dealer (service writer) in Tucson told me they had to order "the harness". That does not sound to me like one wire..........
Absolutely no harness replacement involved. Just more dealer bullchit.

Read the actual GM recall fix....it's a simple jumper wire to bypass a possibly broken wire.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just wrote the boy an email reminding him of my waiting here on "the harness or whatever".......

Have some sympathy for service writers here.....my sister-in-law was one (Volkswagen) for some period of time; her only qualification was she had a nice "rack".
Old 01-22-2015, 01:48 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

I just wrote the boy an email reminding him of my waiting here on "the harness or whatever".......

Have some sympathy for service writers here.....my sister-in-law was one (Volkswagen) for some period of time; her only qualification was she had a nice "rack".
That's better qualifications than some others I've seen.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:10 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by AngelDeath
Most likely its due to the constant power draw from the lights being on, these wires do heat up and the laws of physics is heat expands the wire and when it cools in constricts breaking at the bend when it cools (wear and weakening), being that they are on constant, and also the biggest power draw is initial firing of the lights, the wire gauge isnt the appropriate size to compensate for the drawn current and 90 degrees is very stressful to a wire under that stress, and second probably cheap copper.

But thats just an educated guess.
Makes sense to me.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:13 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

The DIY fix in my opinion is better.
Not only are you replacing the broken wire, it gives you a chance to inspect any other wires which may or may not be on their way out.
Also it give you the option to add the backup wire on the reverse side of the fuse block.

I love my Chevy dealership.
But this is one recall I will let the next owner decide on.

A negative jumper from the parking light relay was my first fix until I had the time to properly correct the fuse block.

Too bad GM didn't want to properly fix the issue.

I still like most GM cars, though.

Get notified of new replies

To painless wire jumper for lights

Old 01-22-2015, 06:33 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

After reading all the things that could go wrong with the chevy dealers on putting in the wire jumper for the lights I was shocked to see not one problem. Took around 45 min. in and out at Hendricks chevy in kc. Also enjoyed another with the same problem talking about cars. We were looking at the new zo6 and its nice but I can't see spending that kind of money if I'm not racing. Anyway it worked out ok with no problems. For some of you that are on the fence as to go or not it was painless.( first time I had my car in the shop also).
I'm glad to read this. I've bought all my cars/trucks from Hendrick/KC for years. I'll be making my appointment for this recall soon. (hopefully while this awesome mild winter is still going on). Car in shop for headers right now! Yessssss!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:07 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,914 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

We need some verification of said qualifications. Pics please.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:11 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 336 Posts

Rick,

Thank you for the information!

J.J.

Quick Reply: painless wire jumper for lights