C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat Tire Repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:31 PM
VettManDan
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flat Tire Repair

I've seen all kinds of posts debating the virtues of a flat tire plug kit and compressor versus a seal/inflator kit. I have a 2012 Grand Sport vert and am about to replace the original tires. Deciding between run flat and non-run flat and I know the pros/cons. Question I have...has anyone actually had to use a seal/inflator kit? If so, did it do the job? Any problems? What brand do you have? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2015, 05:04 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

As a guy who changes Motorcycle tires for a hobby... Almost 100 tires last year.
I would suggest that you stay away from fix-a-flat or any canned sealers.

It is a complete mess to clean off of the inner wheel, not that it would be your problem because you would be going to a shop and some poor fool in the back would have to clean up the mess...
And it will destroy the TPMS in that wheel.

Compressed CO2 or a battery operated compressor and a plug kit is what you should consider.

I love my Michelin ZP's so I wouldn't change my tires to non run flats.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:16 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I had a flat on Interstate 10, 100 miles east of Tucson, 200 miles from N.M. and NO shop in between. Sealant/inflater got me back to Tucson. I will never travel without such a unit ever again. I bought a fancy German pump/sealant kit, but GM makes one for each Caddy SRX. Plugs sound good but are almost impossible tom use on the side of the road.....
Old 01-22-2015, 05:28 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by carpe dm
I had a flat on Interstate 10, 100 miles east of Tucson, 200 miles from N.M. and NO shop in between. Sealant/inflater got me back to Tucson. I will never travel without such a unit ever again. I bought a fancy German pump/sealant kit, but GM makes one for each Caddy SRX. Plugs sound good but are almost impossible tom use on the side of the road.....
I have plugged (not necessarily Vettes) several different tires on the side of the road. While of course dealing with any flat is a hassle....what part of a plug kit did you find almost impossible to use ?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:55 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I used a plug kit on a road trip, 1200 miles from home. The TMPS gave me the warning, and I kept an eye on the tire pressure until the next rest stop. It was a slow leak, cause by a screw imbedded in the rear tire. I used the compressor to pump it up approx. 5 psi over pressure. When we stopped at the hotel later in the day, the pressure was down to normal pressure.
I found the screw, used my side cutter pliers to pull out the screw, and plugged it on the spot in the hotel parking lot.
That plug stayed in that tire until I got a new set a year later.
I carry a can of slime, but would only use it in an emergency.
It's important to carry side cutter pliers to pull out any nail or screw that you might pick up. Without those, your never going to be able to plug the tire properly.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:58 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

One TPMS is over 100.00...

Just an FYi.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:49 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I used a plug kit on a road trip, 1200 miles from home. The TMPS gave me the warning, and I kept an eye on the tire pressure until the next rest stop. It was a slow leak, cause by a screw imbedded in the rear tire. I used the compressor to pump it up approx. 5 psi over pressure. When we stopped at the hotel later in the day, the pressure was down to normal pressure.
I found the screw, used my side cutter pliers to pull out the screw, and plugged it on the spot in the hotel parking lot.
That plug stayed in that tire until I got a new set a year later.
I carry a can of slime, but would only use it in an emergency.
It's important to carry side cutter pliers to pull out any nail or screw that you might pick up. Without those, your never going to be able to plug the tire properly.

That's a good point, I am going out right now and put a pair of side cutters in my flat fix bag, never thought about that
NSF
Old 01-22-2015, 11:10 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I've successfully 'plugged' the rear tire on superbikes four times with the Genuine Innovations repair kit. One had two nails an inch apart. Every tire held air and lasted until the tread wore out. I have FS WO RFs and would still attempt to repair a flat if I got one using the same kit. As mentioned, over inflating is helpful when plugging a tire.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:27 AM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
One TPMS is over 100.00...

Just an FYi.
Amazon
Dorman 974-009 Tire Pressure Monitor System Sensor

by Dorman

List Price: $92.19
Price: $27.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $35. Details
You Save: $64.20 (70
Old 01-23-2015, 11:48 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

If a tire is holding air with a screw in it, I would leave that screw alone until I got home. Stop evry hundred miles or so and add air but pulling the screw is, to me, asking for trouble. And of course every tire manufacturer says that plugging a tire from the outside is not the correct way to repair a puncture long term.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I put the Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 on my GS. And I put this in the back cubby....

Old 01-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
I put the Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 on my GS. And I put this in the back cubby....

Same here
NSF
Old 01-23-2015, 04:24 PM
Cowboy26a
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Here's a great compressor to carry. Inflates up to a 31 inch tire in no time. I picked up a nail in my Pilot super Sports non-run flat and pressure went to 24 pounds. Inflated to 33 pounds in a matter of a couple minutes. I also carry a slime plug kit. i did not plug the tire as the nail sealed the tire but had it patched from the inside the next day. Here's the compressor:

Amazon.com: VIAIR 90P Portable Compressor: Automotive Amazon.com: VIAIR 90P Portable Compressor: Automotive
Old 01-23-2015, 09:20 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by windyC6
I have plugged (not necessarily Vettes) several different tires on the side of the road. While of course dealing with any flat is a hassle....what part of a plug kit did you find almost impossible to use ?
It's more difficult because the C6 sits lower to the ground than most; a bit lower with a flat runflat and a lot lower with a flat non-runflat. Hard to get the hole in the right position and angle to use the plug kit.
Big wide tires, a lot of area to search for the nail. Longer reach under the car if it's toward the inner part of the tread.

It can be done, and people have done it. But it ain't like throwing a quick plug into a motorcycle tire.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:26 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Dank03c5
I've seen all kinds of posts debating the virtues of a flat tire plug kit and compressor versus a seal/inflator kit. I have a 2012 Grand Sport vert and am about to replace the original tires. Deciding between run flat and non-run flat and I know the pros/cons. Question I have...has anyone actually had to use a seal/inflator kit? If so, did it do the job? Any problems? What brand do you have? Thanks!
For the reasons others have mentioned, I don't carry a sealant kit with our runflats. The one time we did get a flat on our C6, way out in the boonies, it was a sidewall cut and sealant almost surely wouldn't have worked. We do have a compressor but that didn't help, air leaked out faster than the compressor could pump it in. Drove 60+ miles, including the Tail of the Dragon, to the nearest tire store on the flat runflat. Longest distance I've heard was something like 600 miles on a flat runflat!

If you have non-runflats, a flat may unseat the bead and the sealant won't work, I've seen pics of C5 Z06's on a flatbed for that reason.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:33 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I tried to plug a tire on my driveway once and couldn't get it to work. I could imagine what it would be like by the side of the road at night trying to do it.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:02 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dank03c5
Run-Flats!
My take from all the threads I've read, is that sealant/infiltrators, as well as plug kits of various types, work well about 50% of the time.
The other 50% is spent wishing they'd bought Run Flats.

I picked up a screw about a year ago. The DIC showed me 18 lbs. in the R/Front.
I drove to the nearest repair facility for a proper inside vulcanized patch, and was glad I had the Run Flats.

What ever you choose, good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Flat Tire Repair

Old 01-24-2015, 11:06 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I tried to plug a tire on my driveway once and couldn't get it to work. I could imagine what it would be like by the side of the road at night trying to do it.
Yea....you definitely don't want to do the plug thing if you haven't done it before and are pretty comfy doing it. One of the biggest hassles is finding the leak if the culprit nail...etc....isn't still in the tire.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:02 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Yea....you definitely don't want to do the plug thing if you haven't done it before and are pretty comfy doing it. One of the biggest hassles is finding the leak if the culprit nail...etc....isn't still in the tire.
The front tires are really easy to do because you can turn the tires facing out, and have the culprit nail or screw at a workable location.
The rear tires are a bit more troublesome, but can be done as well.
On our road trips, we only drive from 7Am until 3-4PM daily, so there is no worry of doing anything during darkness.
Most times as already mentioned, a nail in a tire will most often only produce a very small leak, that is manageable by pumping up to pressure occasionally until you can get it fixed at a tire service shop.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:52 PM
KBsToy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette

Took run-flats off of wifes Sienna AWD . This kit is in the back...

Quick Reply: Flat Tire Repair