C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Age of battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 10:33 PM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Age of battery

Bough a 2005 vert a few months ago with 20k on it.It has an ACDelco battery that looks new.Is there any way to tell the age of the battery from the serial or some of the other #s on it? I doubt if its 10 yrs old.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:00 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by lovinmyls1
Bough a 2005 vert a few months ago with 20k on it.It has an ACDelco battery that looks new.Is there any way to tell the age of the battery from the serial or some of the other #s on it? I doubt if its 10 yrs old.
The warranty date code is located on the top label of the battery. The first character is either a P or S. The next two digits determine the month, the third digit is year and the fourth digit indicates the manufacturing plant. For example, P 098N means the battery was made in September 2008.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:30 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I'd be more concerned if those are original tires. It's possible with only 20 grand on the ODO.

If so, they should be replaced.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:55 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

How many miles on the car? If the original owner kept the battery on a tender and didn't use the battery starting the car, a 10 year old factory original could very well still be working fine. But most people either drive their cars or don't keep them on tenders and some people only get a year or two out of every battery they buy. Then there are many people who think the dealer is the only place to get parts and so will spend twice as much as they needed getting an original Delco battery as a replacement.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:15 AM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Default Age of battery

Tires will be replaced in the Spring.As to battery there is a P064R....must mean June of 2004 so yeah is original.Car works great but have had two instances of the "no key fob detected" after playing radio with car off for a few minutes.Thanks for the help and if you have any recommendations for a new battery I would appreciate it.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:40 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Tires will be replaced in the Spring.As to battery there is a P064R....must mean June of 2004 so yeah is original.Car works great but have had two instances of the "no key fob detected" after playing radio with car off for a few minutes.Thanks for the help and if you have any recommendations for a new battery I would appreciate it.
I bought one of these a few months ago. It was in stock at Autozone and was about $190 with tax. Seems to be a really good battery.

I didn't get an AC Delco because I called the dealer and not only was the cost of the battery more, they charged $75 to install. Only takes maybe 5 minutes to do.

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...ers=4294914202
Old 01-31-2015, 11:09 AM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I bought one of these a few months ago. It was in stock at Autozone and was about $190 with tax. Seems to be a really good battery.

I didn't get an AC Delco because I called the dealer and not only was the cost of the battery more, they charged $75 to install. Only takes maybe 5 minutes to do.

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...ers=4294914202
The link shows "no results" ?
Old 01-31-2015, 11:17 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Check with whatever Auto Chain store you have in your area (PEP boys, etc). You'll get much better prices and if/when Warranty replacement happens they're open nights and weekends unlike a Dealer.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:17 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

You'll get a million.

In reality, there are very few different battery makers, who put lots of different labels on their products. Most of them are good, everyone makes a bad one occasionally.

Optima gets rave reviews from some people, others with experience say they are overpriced and underquality.

The practical issues (presuming you get the right size, there are different sizes for different years of C6) are capacity, price, and availability.

We replaced our OEM with a similar Delco, installed at the dealer for a reasonable price. We've had good luck with them over the decades, and I'm just betting that I won't really need a warranty replacement on a Sunday.

Price can be effected by coupons and discounts.
Availability includes the ability to get a warranty replacement if your new one dies on a weekend.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:36 PM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
You'll get a million.

In reality, there are very few different battery makers, who put lots of different labels on their products. Most of them are good, everyone makes a bad one occasionally.

Optima gets rave reviews from some people, others with experience say they are overpriced and underquality.

The practical issues (presuming you get the right size, there are different sizes for different years of C6) are capacity, price, and availability.

We replaced our OEM with a similar Delco, installed at the dealer for a reasonable price. We've had good luck with them over the decades, and I'm just betting that I won't really need a warranty replacement on a Sunday.

Price can be effected by coupons and discounts.
Availability includes the ability to get a warranty replacement if your new one dies on a weekend.
All good things to consider....no need to rush out and buy as we are suppose to get up to 12" of snow tonight....baby is in the garage with tender hooked up,thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Age of battery

Quick Reply: Age of battery