C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 07:03 PM
georgec114
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Recall

Just stopped by the dealer to make an appointment to get the headlight wire recall done and as she is looking up the VIN and recall number, she tells me that a new recall was issued today for emissions.

Covers 2008-2009 and requires cats to be replaced along with associated seals and gaskets and a ECU flash.

They've put an order in for all the parts and off we go.

Anyone hear of this yet?

Recall # 14523
Old 04-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

No, I wonder what this means with Z06 system?

Probably one recall I will pass on.

LS3 with tune and Z06 manifolds and H pipe catted.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:40 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Never heard of that either. Recalls are usually due to saftey issues. I wonder how that applies here.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:48 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Can't say that I've heard of that one.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:10 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I spent about 10 minutes doing a quick search, and can find nothing what-so-ever regarding this recall.

I can't even find a 14523 recent # issue.

The last Corvette recall I can find is 13146, which represents the low beam UBEC issue.

OP do you have a credible link for this?
Old 04-28-2015, 08:37 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Can't say that I've heard of that one.
He said that it was just issued today, so it wouldn't have made the rounds yet.

I've got a 2009 and will do that one if it's legit.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:38 PM
lbzraptor
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

There is a recall for the emissions on a Cruze. Haven't got one yet for the Vette
Old 04-28-2015, 09:32 PM
Kozzzz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Never heard of that either. Recalls are usually due to saftey issues. I wonder how that applies here.
While recalls are usually safety related, emissions related recalls are also required by the EPA/CARB in cases where the emissions performance is found to be inadequate.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:37 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

I guess I will find out Thursday when I take mine in for inspection. With all the mods I have I will pass on this recall and I called back after I made appointment for headlight issue and canceled that fix with all the issues guys are having. Pa. has an emission exemption for cars driven less than 5000 miles per year.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:46 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Kozzzz
While recalls are usually safety related, emissions related recalls are also required by the EPA/CARB in cases where the emissions performance is found to be inadequate.
Yeah, why would anyone want to pursue a recall for poor performance of the emissions systems? My take is that, if the emissions are up, most likely so is the performance.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:31 AM
georgec114
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hameister
I spent about 10 minutes doing a quick search, and can find nothing what-so-ever regarding this recall.

The last Corvette recall I can find is 13146, which represents the low beam UBEC issue.

No links available...This came from the service writer's lookup on my VIN. Said was just issued today and asked her boss to confirm. It was the first they heard of it.
The headlight recall # is 14203 and emissions # is 14523. I'm reading it right off her notes.

Your data might be from the earlier recall that has since included a wider range of years and VIN numbers.

I haven't even heard of any emissions complaints never mind something that would require cat replacements. That's expensive.

I honestly hope she is wrong even though it wouldn't cost me anything other than inconvenience.
If true, I assume it will take months to swirl around before they send out notices.
Now if I can only get my glove box open. I snapped the handle off and removed the lock but can't figure out how to get the damn thing opened.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:40 AM
georgec114
Melting Slicks

No links available...This came from the service writer's lookup on my VIN. Said was just issued today and asked her boss to confirm. It was the first they heard of it.
The headlight recall # is 14203 and emissions # is 14523. I'm reading it right off her notes.

Your data might be from the earlier recall that has since included a wider range of years and VIN numbers.

I haven't even heard of any emissions complaints never mind something that would require cat replacements. That's expensive.

I honestly hope she is wrong even though it wouldn't cost me anything other than inconvenience.
If true, I assume it will take months to swirl around before they send out notices.
Now if I can only get my glove box open. I snapped the handle off and removed the lock but can't figure out how to get the damn thing opened.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:53 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by georgec114
Just stopped by the dealer to make an appointment to get the headlight wire recall done and as she is looking up the VIN and recall number, she tells me that a new recall was issued today for emissions.

Covers 2008-2009 and requires cats to be replaced along with associated seals and gaskets and a ECU flash.

They've put an order in for all the parts and off we go.

Anyone hear of this yet?

Recall # 14523
Hi georgec114,

We're happy to hear you're working with your dealership to have your headlight wire recall repairs completed. We would be happy to run your VIN for any open recalls associated with your VIN. Please PM us at your earliest convenience with your information and we can let you know what we see.

Thank you,

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-29-2015, 01:24 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hi georgec114,

We're happy to hear you're working with your dealership to have your headlight wire recall repairs completed. We would be happy to run your VIN for any open recalls associated with your VIN. Please PM us at your earliest convenience with your information and we can let you know what we see.

Thank you,

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care
Nice touch^^^^^^^ Chevy actually monitors these forums
NSF
Old 04-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Nice touch^^^^^^^ Chevy actually monitors these forums
NSF
Don't expect much Bob.
I also thought it was great when I first noticed that Chevy monitored these forums.
I've followed many threads over the past two and a half years, in which member's sought help from Customer Service, including myself.

I've yet to see a result that the member couldn't achieve himself, as I finally did with my issue.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:56 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,914 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Do a search for glove box latch, there is a video showing how to replace.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:53 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

Don't expect much Bob.
I also thought it was great when I first noticed that Chevy monitored these forums.
I've followed many threads over the past two and a half years, in which member's sought help from Customer Service, including myself.

I've yet to see a result that the member couldn't achieve himself, as I finally did with my issue.
Well, to tell the truth Ham, I didn't expect much but thought it was a nice touch or attempt
NSF

Get notified of new replies

To New Recall

Old 04-29-2015, 03:23 PM
georgec114
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Well, to tell the truth Ham, I didn't expect much but thought it was a nice touch or attempt
NSF
Here's the response from Jeff M at Customer Care...It's a little vague being a voluntary recall so I suppose if your affected car is in for service, they will ask if you want this done as they did with me. As I recently passed NJ emissions inspection and don't feel there is anything wrong, I'm not sure if I will proceed. "Don't fix what ain't broke."

But I appreciate Jeff's quick inquiry and response.

Hey George,

Thanks for reaching out about your '09 C6! After running your VIN, I do see the Product Emission Recall that your dealership mentioned. This is a Voluntary Emissions Recall that General Motors is conducting with certain 08-09 Corvettes to ensure your vehicle meets all emissions standards across the U.S. If you haven't already scheduled an appointment to have these repairs completed, I'd be happy to reach out to your dealership on your behalf. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-29-2015, 03:51 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Here's the response from Jeff M at Customer Care...It's a little vague being a voluntary recall so I suppose if your affected car is in for service, they will ask if you want this done as they did with me. As I recently passed NJ emissions inspection and don't feel there is anything wrong, I'm not sure if I will proceed. "Don't fix what ain't broke."

But I appreciate Jeff's quick inquiry and response.

Hey George,

Thanks for reaching out about your '09 C6! After running your VIN, I do see the Product Emission Recall that your dealership mentioned. This is a Voluntary Emissions Recall that General Motors is conducting with certain 08-09 Corvettes to ensure your vehicle meets all emissions standards across the U.S. If you haven't already scheduled an appointment to have these repairs completed, I'd be happy to reach out to your dealership on your behalf. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

Jeff M
Chevrolet Customer Care

I'll never understand a "Voluntary", recall.

It would seem to me, that a manufacturer recalls a car when something must be fixed.

Voluntary Recall, implies that something must be fixed, but only if you'd like to fix it.

If you choose not to fix it, that's ok too, which of course means it didn't have to be fixed in the first place.

Appears to me the use of the word "Voluntary", is designed to limit the number of actual recalls.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:52 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Regarding my personal situation, I'll pass.

I do wonder though if this recall includes the Z06 system.

Quick Reply: New Recall