C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hammy's Grand Sport Bar & Grill

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 06:56 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

When I was younger I used to race motocross. Had a accident and put a 3 inch split in my helmet. Broke my wedding ring finger in 3 places from the tip to the first joint, and peeled it like a banana. Also broke 2 toes and 3 ribs. Was back doing wheelies with my finger still in a splint.

Luckily I never took a serious spill on the street. Quite a few of my friends did.

My wife wanted me to sell my Harley, so I bought a 2000 C5. Kept them both for over a year till she caught on.
Been driving Corvettes ever since.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:35 AM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,969 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I was the same way....rode Harley's for 40 years and had one bad accident that broke my collar bone and 2 ribs and 22 stitches in my head......ya no helmut it was in my rebel days.... Doc said it was hitting my shoulder first then my head that saved me.....

I still rode for years after that but sold the bike when I turned 60 after a near miss.... so I upgraded the Corvette I had and never looked back......I loved to ride but the older I got the slower my reflexes and you need to be at your best when riding.......

Last edited by Huskerman; 07-13-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:14 AM
GL10DR
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
When I was younger I used to race motocross. Had a accident and put a 3 inch split in my helmet. Broke my wedding ring finger in 3 places from the tip to the first joint, and peeled it like a banana. Also broke 2 toes and 3 ribs. Was back doing wheelies with my finger still in a splint.

Luckily I never took a serious spill on the street. Quite a few of my friends did.

My wife wanted me to sell my Harley, so I bought a 2000 C5. Kept them both for over a year till she caught on.
Been driving Corvettes ever since.

I can relate to that .... had plenty of accidents on motocross but nothing serious. Had one bad one on a Kawasaki Ninja 750, bike was total loss, also had a Heritage, two Fat Boy's and a Night Train but made her a promise to stop riding Bought the 2012 GS .. now the only one left is the NT.

on a better note .... I'm out'a here in the morning get to see that new pool
Old 07-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Have a safe flight Mike...

I just thought I'd add the fact that I never broke anything.... Never rode a bike, and all my parts remain uninjured
Old 07-13-2015, 12:51 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Hameister
Have a safe flight Mike...
I just thought I'd add the fact that I never broke anything.... Never rode a bike, and all my parts remain uninjured
What a boring life!!!
Old 07-13-2015, 02:18 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ruxvette
What a boring life!!!
Maybe, but at 72, I have no pains from worn out joints, broken bones, pulled muscles, and the like.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:29 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Here's hoping Torchy recovers without long lasting problems.

My first and only accident was at age 15 and 10 months and I sold it long before my 16th birthday. It was something about the blood and broken bones that bothered me. I've had a few minibikes for running around the pits at the dragstrip, but nothing streetable.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Yo, Torchman!

Are ya healin' okay? How about checkin' in.

Seein' as how you're laid up and all....I'm taking a full $1.00 off your bar tab.

I know it's very generous, but there's no need to thank me.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:30 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I'm still kickin'. Had to deal with insurance crap all day. Short term disability is gonna be such a load off my wallet....NOT.

I've got nearly 300,000 miles on bikes over 34 years on the street and track. This is my first ever being down at speed. I have been very lucky.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:44 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Very cool photos guys, thanks!
Old 07-13-2015, 09:23 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Maybe, but at 72, I have no pains from worn out joints, broken bones, pulled muscles, and the like.
I used to ride for quite a few years.(Harley's) then one day I was cut off by some douche in a car. Stopped my bike in front of the guy so he couldn't go anywhere, got off the bike and walked up to him and whacked him in the head. I also used to kick the side of people's cars if they got too close to me. Decided to give up riding before getting killed or going to jail. No fun out there with people that don't know how to drive.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:37 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,969 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Ya Billyboy I have done the same things........I know its more dangerous out now then it used to be......to much phone and texting while driving......its no good....

Say here is a question for the brain trust.......using Rejex on the Quicksilver and wonder what to use for a detailer if anything? I know they sell a product but wondered if any of you have experience with a detailer spray on Rejex........hmmm.....hope that isn't to tough...hate to go ask the base guys....they are so grumpy lately........what's up with that?
Old 07-13-2015, 10:51 PM
PA_BLUE_C6
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'12, '15

Originally Posted by Huskerman
Ya Billyboy I have done the same things........I know its more dangerous out now then it used to be......to much phone and texting while driving......its no good....

Say here is a question for the brain trust.......using Rejex on the Quicksilver and wonder what to use for a detailer if anything? I know they sell a product but wondered if any of you have experience with a detailer spray on Rejex........hmmm.....hope that isn't to tough...hate to go ask the base guys....they are so grumpy lately........what's up with that?
Who you calling grumpy.....Hungover, not grumpy, there is a difference.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:21 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Try the liquid glass detailer spray, it works great.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:36 PM
db2012gs
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow!!!
The photos are very small, but the quality shows through.
Very nice! That stand and canopy, store bought, made of laminate, not solid wood, would set you back at least $650.

Are you setting up salt or fresh? Fish?

How will you care for them when you're in Africa all the time.

Gonna catch Cichlids in Lake Malawi and bring them home?

What's your plan?
I agree, nice stand and top!
I designed and built my own, but i painted it white instead of staining it. I will have to post a few pics. I bought a 150 gallon tank and about 300 lbs of sand, drift wood, rocks, plants, etc. It was a fun project. I have two Eheim 600 filters under the tank, in the stand. So i have over twice as much filtration as i need... the tank stays very clean!
It is a fresh water setup. I have Bala sharks, clown loaches, angels, cats, algae eaters, etc. too many fish to list.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:08 AM
GL10DR
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by db2012gs
I designed and built my own, but i painted it white instead of staining it. I will have to post a few pics. I bought a 150 gallon tank and about 300 lbs of sand, drift wood, rocks, plants, etc. It was a fun project. I have two Eheim 600 filters under the tank, in the stand. So i have over twice as much filtration as i need... the tank stays very clean!
It is a fresh water setup. I have Bala sharks, clown loaches, angels, cats, algae eaters, etc. too many fish to list.

Sounds like a nice setup, mine is only 125gl I would be interested seeing the filtration system and how you have it setup under the tank.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:11 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by billyboy47
I used to ride for quite a few years.(Harley's) then one day I was cut off by some douche in a car. Stopped my bike in front of the guy so he couldn't go anywhere, got off the bike and walked up to him and whacked him in the head...
Works both ways guys....bikers always seem to blame motorists for their accidents, but I've lost count of the number of times I nearly hit an idiot on a bike who was weaving in and out of lanes, going 15~20 miles an hour faster than the flow of traffic.

When you're driving a car, doing 55mph, and a guy on a bike approaches your rear going 70 mph, all you need to do is drift a couple of feet from the center of your lane, and you've just pasted a biker.

Billy, I'm glad you gave up bikes. Getting off your bike and "whacking a guy in the head", does nothing but perpetuate the biker's reputation, which is unfortunate, because there are a lot of responsible people out there who enjoy riding motorcycles.
My daughter is one of them. She worried me day and night, until she finally sold her Harley a few years ago.

Originally Posted by kmvp860am
I think I'm feeling better watching your Gif and you weren't even talking to me

I'm a new owner of a Grand Sport, is this a Chat Area for just us guys with good taste?
Well, we've found there are lots of guys with base 'vettes, who also have good taste, so we've graciously allowed them to congregate here as well.

Join us whenever you wish. There is no such thing as "off topic" here.
Our only rule is civility. We can disagree without being disagreeable.

Your first one is always on the house Dan, and of course you're provided a drinking partner if you wish...

Originally Posted by db2012gs
Definitely would like lots of photos when it's completed, as well as your filtering design.
I also design my filters with twice the necessary flow rate, because it keeps things clean, and the fish healthier.

Originally Posted by Torchsport
I'm still kickin'. Had to deal with insurance crap all day. Short term disability is gonna be such a load off my wallet....NOT.

I've got nearly 300,000 miles on bikes over 34 years on the street and track. This is my first ever being down at speed. I have been very lucky.
Let's hope this first one will also be your last.

Get notified of new replies

To Hammy's Grand Sport Bar & Grill

Old 07-14-2015, 09:13 AM
db2012gs
Burning Brakes

These are not great photos, but all I have right now...

Name:  ft-02a_zpsvswag9g8.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  ft-01_zpsgpct3eoc.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  201.7 KB
Old 07-14-2015, 09:25 AM
db2012gs
Burning Brakes

The Eheim 600 is good for up to 160 gallons, I have two. So I have 320 gallons of filtration on a 150 gallon tank. I also have around 75 inches of fish in the tank, the rule being no more than 1" of fish per gallon of water. So I am under stocked and over filtrated. A key to success for sure.
I clean one filter and wait about 3 months before I clean the other one. I clean them once to twice a year and water changes are once every three months, I do about 40 gallons.
So low maintenance and very stable. I have not lost a fish in years. I also keep my light on a timer, it comes on around 9am and goes off at 7pm. That way natural light will start to light up the room some before the tank light goes on and the tank light goes off before the natural light goes down. That way they have a more natural change in light that is gradual instead of all on and all off, which is more abrupt.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:25 AM
db2012gs
Burning Brakes

Here is a basic diagram I made of my setup. I kept the inlet from both pumps on the left and the outlet from both pumps on the right to encourage proper circulation. I cut holes in the back of the stand so I could route the hoses behind the tank to the inlet tubes and the outlet spray bars. I keep the spray bars above the water line, which ensures a stream into the water to create a lot of bubbles, which eliminates the need for any air pump, as they get plenty of oxygen from the two spray bars. That also creates a current from right to left and makes the sharks and other fish from rivers happy. The cats and bottom dwellers are out of the current. The loaches like both. I use sand as the substrate because I like the natural look and the cats and loaches like to dig and it is better for them than rocks. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Name:  PUMPS-SETUP_zpsoqtfc9kd.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  56.0 KB

Quick Reply: Hammy's Grand Sport Bar & Grill