C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hammy's Grand Sport Bar & Grill

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:43 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,897 Likes on 1,915 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Well I just got back from trying to get my car serviced at the Arlington, Tx chevy dealership.
Had quite a few maintenance items along with replacing the shift cable and working on the Diff.

I asked to be called about what they found on the Diff as I would like to change gear ratio if replacing was necessary. Srevice writer said they would only put on parts that were specific to my VIN. They would not change the diff gear ratio even to a GM part that was available for my model year.

They also would not give me a quote to upgrade the seats to 2012 style.​​​​​​ WTF????

Decided I did not want them working on any part of my car.

Will use my local indy shop for the repairs and some of the maintenance.

Will not be going back to Vandergriff Chevy again.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:06 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,651 Likes on 2,359 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wayback
...Will not be going back to Vandergriff Chevy again.
Sounds like a smart move.

Perhaps they saved you some grief as their techs may be good at replacing old part A with a new part A but not so good at replacing old part A with (interchangeable but improved) part B.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:07 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,480 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

welcome to today's world of dealership technicians............

and please don't ask how I know............... not enough time to respond to that in my lifetime...........
Old 05-09-2017, 01:38 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,301 Posts

That's why we refer to them as "Stealerships"!
Old 05-09-2017, 01:47 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

it is just the nature of how the technician's are paid in relation to the work performed............. those who have talent and skills usually find another employer where they are paid accordingly for knowledge and skill.......... and then the OEM's wonder why they have a hard time keeping competent technician's in the dealerships............ as far as I know, only BMW and possibly MB pay them salaries based on experience and talent and offer them training to keep current................. the tech is responsible for their own tools and knowledge, and the dealer usually gets a much larger slice of the pie at the end of the day............................
Old 05-09-2017, 02:36 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Huskerman
....Morning.......gotta go....work......I will leave you wit dis.........for entertainment purposes only of course.......

https://youtu.be/Lkj3NHTRxwk
Pam wasn't (IMHO) the most beautiful backup gal, but she was far and away the most sexy. Never afraid to get her hands dirty either. She took the performance to a level that is still unmatched today.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:55 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,897 Likes on 1,915 Posts

Never heard of a stealership refusing to put in a OEM part just because it was not built that way from the factory. A6 came with 2:56 or 2:72 if a Z51 option car. Thought I would go with a 2:72 IF IT NEEDED TO BE REPLACED. But they said they would not do that. F'em I'll go somewhere else.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:07 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Yes, quite a pair.

I mean Jungle Jim and Jungle Pam a pair...dynamic duo...
Mention “Jungle Pam” around the Hammy offices and all the guys get a little dreamy and distracted.

Pam toured the country with drag racing’s wild child, “Jungle” Jim Lieberman, backing up his fuel Funny Cars and putting the “hot” in hot pants.
In drag racing’s nitro-fueled ’70s circus, Pam was the gal in a tutu riding the elephant and she turned the mundane act of backing up five feet into a show equal to, and sometimes better than, the race itself.

As the decade crested the hill toward the ’80s, drag racing began to have more rules and less space for showmen.

The nomadic party lifestyle took its toll on Pam and Jungle’s relationship and they eventually parted ways.

Jungle continued racing, but the increasing costs of competing and shrinking opportunities for lucrative match races pushed drag racing further from fire burnouts and halter tops and closer to the more corporate format we know today. It just wasn’t Jungle’s bag, man.

Jungle Jim died in 1977 when his Corvette hit a bus one miserable morning. He was 31.

Pam currently runs a Facebook page and website dedicated to remembering when “Drag Racing was Far Out.”

Last edited by rkj427; 05-09-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:47 PM
MickP
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Yes, quite a pair.

I mean Jungle Jim and Jungle Pam a pair...dynamic duo...
Isn't this a picture of Tom Ferrano with the Keeling & Clayton 'The Lee Eliminators' F/C and Barbara Roufs?
Old 05-09-2017, 11:02 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
Never heard of a stealership refusing to put in a OEM part just because it was not built that way from the factory. A6 came with 2:56 or 2:72 if a Z51 option car. Thought I would go with a 2:72 IF IT NEEDED TO BE REPLACED. But they said they would not do that. F'em I'll go somewhere else.
You can thank the lawyers for that. Even though it makes perfect sense to most people out there, there would be one jackass that would so something stupid and try to blame everybody but themselves. Many shops will not even mount non OE tire sizes anymore.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:06 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MickP
Isn't this a picture of Tom Ferrano with the Keeling & Clayton 'The Lee Eliminators' F/C and Barbara Roufs?
I believe you are correct Mick................... numerous times Barbara Roufs was mistaken for Pam Hardy...............

good catch.............
Old 05-09-2017, 11:11 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MickP
Hmmm...notice the tshirt on Jim...yes, you are right.

I meant to include this picture:

Last edited by ruxvette; 05-10-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:14 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

awful quiet here....................

possibly a little humor to spark things up...............

A white haired baser walked into a jeweler store this past Friday evening with a beautiful much younger gal at his side. He told the jeweler he was looking for a special ring for his girlfriend.
The jeweler looked through his stock and brought out a $5,000 ring.

The baser said, 'No, I'd like to see something more special.'

At that statement, the jeweler went to his special stock and brought another ring over. 'Here's a stunning ring at only $40,000 the jeweler said.

The lady's eyes sparkled and her whole body trembled with excitement. The baser seeing this said, 'We'll take it.'

The jeweler asked how payment would be made and the baser stated, 'By check. I know you need to make sure my check is good, so I'll write it now and you can call the bank Monday to verify the funds; I'll pick the ring up Monday afternoon.'

On Monday morning, the jeweler angrily phoned the baser and said 'Sir...There's no money in that account.

''I know,' said the old baser...'But let me tell you about my weekend.'

A farmer was selling his peaches door to door. He knocked on a door and a shapely 30-something woman dressed in a very sheer negligee answered the door.

He raised his basket to show her the peaches and asked, "Would you like to buy some peaches?"

She pulled the top of the negligee to one side and asked, "Are they as firm as this?"

He nodded his head and said, "Yes ma'am," and a little tear ran from his eye.

Then she pulled the other side of her negligee off asking, "Are they nice and pink like this?"

The farmer said, "Yes," and another tear came from the other eye.

Then she unbuttoned the bottom of her negligee and asked, "Are they as fuzzy as this?"

He again said, "Yes," and broke down crying.

She asked, "Why on earth are you crying?"

Drying his eyes he replied;
"The drought got my corn, the flood got my soy beans, a tornado levelled my barn,* and now I think I'm gonna get f___ked out of my peaches."

Right before the end at Little Big Horn, Custer sent out his scout to get some intelligence on the developing situation.

The scout came back to Custer and told him, "I've got good news and bad news about the situation, General."
Custer said, "Well give me the bad news first."
The scout replied, "Well, it looks like we are hopelessly surrounded by over a thousand Indian warriors and I don't think we stand a chance to come out of this alive."

Custer said, "Oooh that sounds awful. What is the good news?"
The scout answered, "Well it looks like we don't have to go back across Nebraska...."
Old 05-09-2017, 11:23 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Hmmm...notice the tshirt on Jim...
from Tom West's Facebook page, although seven years old........... that picture is there too...............

Memorial to a Great Lady - Barbara Roufs
By Tom West · Updated about 7 years ago · Taken at Southern & Northern California

This is a tribute, and a memorial, to Barbara Roufs, probably the top Race queen from back in the day, at least in Southern California.
I want to let everyone know that I just spoke with someone from her family, who got word from Barbara's son back at the time, that Barbara took her own life sometime around 1980. This is very sad, as I feel like we, collectively, let her down. I feel especially bad to have walked away and left her to her apparent demons. Never really saw that side of her in all the time we spent together, but can understand how people might really be trying to use her. Just projecting as to a possible motivation for her actions.
Just want to let you know the information as I just received it.
Obviously, she was among the most stunning women I have ever known, but she was also one of the nicest people to work with, a very pleasant person, very cooperative with whatever you were doing, and a great friend. Wish that I could find her now, as I would like to catch up with her and the intervening years. I had not seen her since 1973, so it was quite a while since I moved away from the racing and into the rest of my life. Sorry I did not go more out of the way to stay in touch with her. Not sure it would have been enough, however.
All of the pics here, starting with the first time I met her, were from 1971, '72 and '73, when I moved back to New York.
And ... just to make this clear; this isn't JUNGLE PAM!!!
This is the one, and only, Barbara Roufs.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:40 AM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,858 Likes on 1,981 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

OK.......now that we got that figured out.....the jokes were ok.....I did smile a bit.....ok I chuckled......now its time to get back to work.....the MGW has been shipped but not here yet.......hopefully get it in this weekend.......

ring ring goes the phone and here we go..........
Old 05-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,858 Likes on 1,981 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Ok I'm back.......hello? What is it? Is this an election day the bars are closed....... Everybody get in here and start spending money........we got overhead you know....... geez....
Old 05-10-2017, 06:39 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

For all the jakesters on here:
Skull lighted valve stem caps...

Stylin...

It will look good with my dashboard Mary.

Get notified of new replies

To Hammy's Grand Sport Bar & Grill

Old 05-10-2017, 09:08 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

For all the jakesters on here:
Skull lighted valve stem caps...

Stylin...

It will look good with my dashboard Mary.

OK you are making it extremely difficult NOT to pick on the GS'ers.......

seems to me, those colorful valve stem caps seen here look an awful lot alike the rainbow colored, umbrella drinks served up in the GS'er lounge..........

they may look good in East L.A. or Tijuana

but for the life of me, I can't think of anyplace else they would be seen....................
Old 05-10-2017, 10:18 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

decided that I won't allow Ruxxy to accept all the blame for his dashboard Mary..........

I KNOW for a fact, some of the regulars here may remember the Hula girl dashboard ornaments.................

found a video for you old boys to watch............

demonstrating the moves the Hula girls may have made while crusin' down the road back in the day......................

story below of the meaning and history of the song...............

The McCoy's are originally from Dayton, OH.

The song was about Dorothy Sloop of Steubenville, Ohio. A singer, Sloop sometimes used the stage name Sloopy. Her story: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...opy-scoop.html

The song gained an association with The Ohio State University after its marching band began playing it at football games; first played on October 9, 1965. After the crowd reaction, the band began to play it at every game and now it is a Saturday tradition to play the song before the start of the fourth quarter of every Buckeye game.

The song has also become a feature at the home games of professional sports teams throughout Ohio where, as is the case at Ohio State, fans usually chant the letters "O, H, I, O" during the pauses in the chorus while mimicking the shape of the letters with their arms.

In 1985, the Ohio General Assembly approved "Hang On Sloopy" as Ohio's official rock song.

Buckeye's take this song very seriously.

maybe the ONLY good thing a Michigander will say about a Buckeye
Old 05-10-2017, 10:45 PM
MickP
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427
Right before the end at Little Big Horn, Custer sent out his scout to get some intelligence on the developing situation.

The scout came back to Custer and told him, "I've got good news and bad news about the situation, General."
Custer said, "Well give me the bad news first."
The scout replied, "Well, it looks like we are hopelessly surrounded by over a thousand Indian warriors and I don't think we stand a chance to come out of this alive."

Custer said, "Oooh that sounds awful. What is the good news?"
The scout answered, "Well it looks like we don't have to go back across Nebraska...."
Here's a "good news/bad news" joke...

A guy goes to his doctor for a physical. On the way in he notices the doctor has a gorgeous receptionist. When the doctor comes in he advises his patient that he has good news and bad news. The doctor asks which he wants to hear first. The patient says, "Let's have the bad news." The doctor says, "You have only six months to live." The patient is shocked, "Oh my God! What's the good news?!?!?" To which the doctor responds, "Did you see that beautiful receptionist? I'm hittin' that!"

Quick Reply: Hammy's Grand Sport Bar & Grill