C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Cooler ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 10:51 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Transmission Cooler ?

I have a transmission cooler I purchased and was looking around under the car and under the hood and realized that there really is not a lot of room under there.

So I am curious, those who have one installed, where did you put yours? I have the Vararam Snake Charmer CAI which is in the center of the Radiator and my transmission cooler has a built in fan so that makes it thicker than just a single stack cooler.

I already have the lines connected, since I am not sure where I am putting it I lust looped about 6 feet of hose from the Transmission out to the line that goes to the transmission so when I find a place I just have to cut the line, prime the cooler and attach the hoses and I am done. But I am not sure where to put it.

So anyone that has a transmission cooler installed, especially if your cooler has a built in fan with it, where did you put yours?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 07-04-2015, 10:15 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Mine is in the bumper opening on passenger side
Old 07-04-2015, 10:19 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
Mine is in the bumper opening on passenger side

That seems to be the prominent place. See post 14 in here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1583472160
Old 07-04-2015, 10:48 PM
C6David
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I put mine in front of the ac condenser dead center. If there isnt enough space there then in the wheel well on the passenger side work since you have a fan.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:05 PM
tacos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered a Z51 radiator? It has a trans cooler built in.

It's nice, but it made finding a radiator for my 2006 Z51 a hell of a lot harder, since they want more for the Z51 radiator. (Go to Amazon!)

Still, it doesn't require any additional space, and it uses the coolant to cool the fluid so it will still heat up quickly but stay at the right temps when running.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:50 PM
C6David
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I believe base model automatics have the trans cooler in the radiator also.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:19 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by tacos
Have you considered a Z51 radiator? It has a trans cooler built in.

It's nice, but it made finding a radiator for my 2006 Z51 a hell of a lot harder, since they want more for the Z51 radiator. (Go to Amazon!)

Still, it doesn't require any additional space, and it uses the coolant to cool the fluid so it will still heat up quickly but stay at the right temps when running.
If you track the car it isn't enough cooling
I had issues until I went to the B&M cooler in addition to adding the Dewitt's radiator
Mine has Z51 package well what's left of it
Old 07-05-2015, 09:55 AM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default Good Spot

Behind the bumper and ahead of the front wheel well is a good spot, unless you have filled it up with additional horns:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...der-horns.html

Old 07-05-2015, 02:31 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid
Behind the bumper and ahead of the front wheel well is a good spot, unless you have filled it up with additional horns:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...der-horns.html

Darn, does this mean I have to relocate my Dukes of Hazard horns to another location. ..lol
Old 07-05-2015, 11:09 PM
Rod Stewart
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the base model does indeed use a coil in the rad, could you not splice an aftermarket cooler into the return line (mounted as suggested behind the bumper on the passenger side) so they are running in series?
Old 07-06-2015, 03:10 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
If you track the car it isn't enough cooling
I had issues until I went to the B&M cooler in addition to adding the Dewitt's radiator
Mine has Z51 package well what's left of it
Had same experience. Took the B&M out and put it in the passenger side fog light space - still wasn't enough for the track (fine on the street). Replaced B&M with 2 Setrab coolers, one in each fog light. No problems on track now but only about 175* on the street.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:01 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

I know how to plumb it guys I just need to know where is the best place to put it. Mine is not small but not large but it does have a fan on it so I was curious where you installed yours.

Yes mine goes through the radiator so if the coolant is 210 degrees guess what the transmission temperature is, yep, 210 degrees, not what I want. I am going from the transmission radiator out into the cooler, out of the cooler to the transmission.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:47 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

I am going to look at it tomorrow, I just got the car back from the transmission shop, I took it to the drag strip and burned up the 3/4 clutch pack plus I am not comfortable with the temperatures they run at. They may (are) within normal range but as we all know the cooler the transmission fluid, the cooler the engine oil, the cooler the fuel, the better they perform and the longer they last. With that in mind, I am installing the transmission cooler now and am considering the same unit for an oil cooler but there is another issue, where to put it? Is there room on the driver side in front of the front wheel like for the transmission cooler on the passenger side or is it different?

Does anyone have a multi-cooler set-up?

Such as I listed, transmission, oil, fuel, power steering coolers? If so what sizes and where are they located?

The one thing about mine and probably others is that I have the Vararam Snake Charmer CAI which goes from the MAF all the way down to the front of the car which covers the center part of the radiator so putting a cooler in the center anywhere is not possible, if I had a stock or different CAI I could probably mount it there, but I cannot due to the CAI and I am not changing that because of the 50+ RWHP I get from just that (Humor).
Old 07-06-2015, 10:21 PM
Rod Stewart
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ghost; will the cooler fit on either side of the CAI in front of the rad?
Old 07-06-2015, 10:38 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I also have a Vararam and had the location problem. With a 4000 stall converter and living in the Phoenix area, cooling is always a concern. My solution was to mount it horizontally at the bottom center of the condenser. I don't even have it bolted in or use anything other than tension to keep it in place. There are 5 screws holding the bumper cover on the bottom side. I took them all out, slipped the cooler in place and put the 4 outer screws back in. I'm using a B&M 70273 flat plate cooler with no fan. The vertical airflow through the exposed half of the cooler worked well in the Summer when I plumbed through the radiator before the cooler, but worked too good in the Winter, when it was difficult to bring up the temps to the 140-150 range. Currently, I'm plumbed to the cooler before the radiator and I'm not as cool as I'd like. I'm considering using two side-by-side, bypassing the radiator, and putting a 180* t-stat in line to resolve the Summer/Winter problem.

Here's a pic. Disregard the dirt.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:36 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Well I will be honest, when I ordered this thing it looked like one of the smaller ones I could get with a fan and when I got it I did not think much about it. Then when I went to install it (A few days ago to current) I realized the dang thing is big. I have the inside passenger wheel well apart now and I am going to have to move some wires and relocate my horns, it came with an aluminum mounting plate which I am going to have to cut off and leave enough to mount the fan still, then I will have to shove it as far up and back as I can if it will fit then. If it does fit and after I get the lines run, it will not take much more to mount it because it will physically not be able to go anywhere.

I think with some serious relocating and alterations I may be able to get it to work, in hindsight I would pay closer attention to the dimensions and get a smaller one but I really want it to cool it down so you have heard or seen your kids get way too much food and cannot eat it all and you say your eyes are bigger than your belly. In my case my eyes are bigger than my available space. And I guess this is a win for the women, and some guys where bigger is not always better...

I did not want to put mine in the middle up front like yours because I don't want to block air to the radiator or the CAI but if this does not work I am going to have to do something, worse case scenario I will have to buy a smaller one.

I cant return this one because I used the plumbing hardware that came with it so I am stuck with it.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:14 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Well I was able to get it installed today. I put it in the passenger side front wheel well so the hole from the bottom directs air right on it and the hole in the back for the brake cooling allows the air flow out instead of stacking hot air in there. Unfortunately I had to remove the fan. No way it would fit. My only option was a smaller cooler with a fan or keep this one with no fan. Considering size matters and having more surface area to cool is the same as a smaller one with a fan so I figure they would be equal so that is what I did.

Hopefully there will not be any leaks, I started it and let it run and it seems ok, I will test it tomorrow to see if there are any leaks and if it keeps it cooler and if so I will report what kind of results I get from it.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Cooler ?

Old 07-09-2015, 04:15 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

I have another question, I want the fan to come on when the car is on and go off when the car is off. Where did you guys or where can I wire my hot wire so that it does that, is there one in the fuse box or another one near the front passenger side I can tap into, if so post a pic of where you connected yours. Thanks for the help. I know how to search for one but I wanted to see if there is one better than maybe one I may find.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:39 PM
tacos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostC6
I have another question, I want the fan to come on when the car is on and go off when the car is off. Where did you guys or where can I wire my hot wire so that it does that, is there one in the fuse box or another one near the front passenger side I can tap into, if so post a pic of where you connected yours. Thanks for the help. I know how to search for one but I wanted to see if there is one better than maybe one I may find.
depends on how many amps it draws.
if you have an multimeter/ammeter, hook up the fan to it and a car battery in series and find out.
If it draws less than an amp or so you might be able to run it from any circuit, but try to stick to one that uses a 10 or 20 amp fuse, in case the fan shorts out.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:10 PM
GhostC6
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by tacos
depends on how many amps it draws.
if you have an multimeter/ammeter, hook up the fan to it and a car battery in series and find out.
If it draws less than an amp or so you might be able to run it from any circuit, but try to stick to one that uses a 10 or 20 amp fuse, in case the fan shorts out.
I have an inline fuse on the wires just to be extra safe,

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler ?