C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 04:49 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Convertible Top Headliner Ripped

I have a 2010 grand sport convertible with about 17,000 miles. I was out with the wife in it over the holiday weekend and when putting the top up I just heard the headliner rip, it is a horrible sound let me tell you! I have been on the other threads on here via search tool regarding the same situation on other cars with the headliner ripping.

I went to my upholsterer I have used for years this morning and he said the only way he would attempt to correct it would be to take out the headliner and get on his table to secure the seam that was ripping, stitch the tear and put in reinforcement material on each side. He couldn't really quote but said time and material, mainly his time. I have used him for 20 years on projects and he has never let me down, quality or price, it was just the uncertainty because he didn't know what he was getting into. (edit: reading through tsb there are also new parts issued to alleviate the problem)

I have seen the posts about putting a patch in the areas but mine due to this weekend's rip at the seam is beyond that solution. When the top was half up and he was inspecting he also pointed out the strings were frayed and ready to break and said I'd better order a set of those for him to replace while its apart. Looked like the strings were rubbing across cable routing clips and fraying them.

Have any of you guys gotten this far into it trying to repair this issue?
Do any of you have instructions or TSB info you can pdf and send me to review how it comes apart and goes back together so he can better see what he is getting into?
Lastly, anyone just remove the headliner and call it a day? A lot of cars don't have headliners but I am not sure what it looks like under the liner if its even an option.

Really could use convert guys feedback if you have been down this path. A lot of the threads were old and didn't have updates posted to them.

Last edited by Red89gt; 07-07-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Passenger side:

Driver side:

Last edited by Red89gt; 07-06-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

I found the TSB 08-08-110-001E that includes my model year 2010 and what is occurring verbatim. Posting up for others if they search for same issue.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:53 AM
tomringo
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 46 Posts

This is what was happening to mine in exactly the same locations. Mine wasn't as bad as that yet, but was rubbing and had begun a hole above the drivers side. It's caused by the two plastic pieces rubbing and then catching the headliner, due to surface contact. My issue was on a 2013 427, talked to the dealer, they ordered the parts, which included new headliner, new bow piece/s to allow more room in that location and new plastic pieces which were modified to reduce/eliminate contact. It's now prefect with distance between the plastic and headliner where there was none before. Unless you eliminate the rubbing it will happen again. I believe those plastic pieces (I don't remember the name) can be removed and cut down after you fix the holes if you did not want to replace all as I had. There's info on the forum about that problem I'll try to find the info.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:07 AM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Thanks tomringo.

Can i get you to post up the part numbers used off your paperwork from the repair?
Local dealer told me estimate of $1,000 to redo the headliner using TSB 08-08-110-001E for a parts list.
There weren't new plastic pieces that I am aware of on the the TSB parts list, sounds like you have a dealer that is on the ball and knew what to order.

Can you post up a picture of the repaired corner so I can compare to the pieces in my car to see the difference?

I p/m'd chevy customer service late yesterday on the forum and haven't heard back yet. See if I can get help from GM at all.

I appreciate your info and the post updating your fix.

Last edited by Red89gt; 07-07-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:10 AM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Looks like the TSB is up to Revision G per info provided by another forum member's warranty paperwork.

Parts on the TSB 08-08-110-001G:

19207984 - headliner replacement kit
19181262 - pin
19181261 - pin
19181260 - nut

Directions specify for the tech to grind down all sharp edges and there are multiple called out on the diagrams in the TSB.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

So I went to the dealer I used for my warranty work to date and talked to the service manager about what was occurring with my headliner. Even though out of warranty he recognized the car only had 17k miles and said I should follow up with GM customer service to see if they will provided any assistance.

I contacted GM via p/m on this site and they were responsive and would look into the matter. However, GM's solution was to contact the dealer and see if they would take on the expense of replacing the headliner. I was embarrassed they did this on my behalf. Why would a dealer pick up the cost of the manufacturer's quality control and engineering issues? It blew my mind that they would expect the dealer to defray any portion of the cost of the failed headliner. Unbelievable that this is an acceptable course of action from GM. I would have stomached GM reviewed the case and denied due to out of warranty, but to just request the dealer pay the bill is very disappointing in how they conduct themselves.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:48 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Red89gt
So I went to the dealer I used for my warranty work to date and talked to the service manager about what was occurring with my headliner. Even though out of warranty he recognized the car only had 17k miles and said I should follow up with GM customer service to see if they will provided any assistance.

I contacted GM via p/m on this site and they were responsive and would look into the matter. However, GM's solution was to contact the dealer and see if they would take on the expense of replacing the headliner. I was embarrassed they did this on my behalf. Why would a dealer pick up the cost of the manufacturer's quality control and engineering issues? It blew my mind that they would expect the dealer to defray any portion of the cost of the failed headliner. Unbelievable that this is an acceptable course of action from GM. I would have stomached GM reviewed the case and denied due to out of warranty, but to just request the dealer pay the bill is very disappointing in how they conduct themselves.
Well if your dissapointed with GM by that then be sure you read the threads on the harmonic balancer issue
Old 07-08-2015, 02:55 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default and if that's not enough...

Originally Posted by windyC6
Well if your dissapointed with GM by that then be sure you read the threads on the harmonic balancer issue
read the posts about the myriad of issues the owners of the c7'S are encountering!
Old 07-08-2015, 04:15 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Red89gt

Hello Red89gt,

Sincerest apologies for the miscommunication. Contacting the dealership is just part of our process for assistance. We take numerous factors into account and work with the dealership to make a joint decision in situations such as this. I understand your frustrations regarding this concern, and have documented your comments within your case.

Don’t hesitate to reach out to us in the future with any questions or concerns.

Have a great rest of your day.

Julie C
Chevrolet Customer Care

Last edited by Chevy Cust Svc; 07-08-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:53 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default my honest sympathies

man, that genuinely sucks, sorry for the hassles
Old 07-09-2015, 09:12 AM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

17k miles and the headliner is ruined. That is acceptable wear for GM on their flagship sports car that mine stickered for $72k.

THIS IS a result of poor design and quality control as proved by the published TSB for the dealers to try and correct the issue. It is on rev G now since they obviously can't incorporate a fix into production removing all the sharp contact points. But as GM has responded this must be from my use and neglect maybe? In my spare time I pull the car cover off in my climate control garage and run the top up and down.

I will send the bill to them when guiding the material out of the framework when opening/close the top when I smash a finger in the sharp edge mechanicals. GM is on here and it is documented.

Yes, this is disappointing, as is their harmonic balancers and leaking oil pans, etc like others responded.
Pretty sure the tactic is we don't use these cars so chances are problems won't develop until out of warranty so why should they correct them. For the few that do happen in warranty, fix it and it should get the person out of warranty and off GM's books.

Last edited by Red89gt; 07-09-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Can anyone help me get a copy of the latest TSB?

08-08-110-001G

Parts are $250 from Gene and I will tackle myself but latest rev of the TSB would be a great start. I have googled the crap out of it and cannot find the latest copy.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

GM continuing to stick it in my shorts.
I looked up the hardware to replace per the TSB and for 4 tin push nuts and 4 pins they are charging $45 + shipping from a forum discount vendor. Local dealer would be retail and tax, about $60. Starting to really get irritated. The push nuts are an epic $6.78 discounted from retail for a Chinese tin retainer that probably cost about $0.20 for GM all in; part, service sale individual packaging and a label. Awesome process, build car with defects, publish the fix and charge premium for parts, way to keep their revenue stream going.

1918260 push nut, need 4 - $6.78 (retail $8.37)each = $27.12
1918261 alum pin, need 2 - $4.25 each = $8.50
1918262 alum pin, need 2 - $4.17 each = $8.34

19207984 headliner kit $240.39

And again, those prices are discounted from a forum vendor, local dealer would retail rape me + tax.
Headliner didn't seem too bad at $240 from forum vendor, marked down considerably from retail.

Last edited by Red89gt; 07-10-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:58 AM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Here is an example those push nuts, made in USA, zinc plated.

$8.66 per 100, guess I will have a few extra when I go to Fastenal or Grainger.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:28 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Or go to a good hardware store with drawers full of Hillman fasteners...no need to buy 100.

My service manager will print up the TSB for me, but I won't be getting over there for a while. Any dealer can do this for you.

Last edited by cclive; 07-10-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Same issue, I think. Cause discovered.

I deburred and smoothed every visible and hidden piece on my '12 when it was new. After reading this thread I reexamined the headliner only to find holes appearing in the same area as the OP's. A closer look showed the wear to occur from the outside. I put a piece of masking tape over the hole and made a video of the top being retracted. It seems obvious the wear occurs as the headliner slides over the corner of the frame during operation. The liner remained loose at the corner during operation from what I could tell. It just rubs is all. I would estimate my top has 60+ cycles.
I sanded down and further smoothed the corner and don't really see any other remedy. Keep in mind the color in the plastic is only on the surface and fixed with a black marker.

Attached Images    
Old 07-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Yep, will be taking the pins to ace hardware to find right size clip for a $1.

String on headliner on mine is all frayed and ready to break as well. Not sure what I will do with that. Will at least try to find what it is rubbing against as well.

I bought some denim patches from joann fabrics at lunch today. Going to see if I can needle and thread the ripped seam before glue patching.

Thanks again to everyone helping me out with info, I have received a lot of p/m's from all you guys!

Last edited by Red89gt; 07-10-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Top Woes

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Woes