C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a decent price for a Callaway C6 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 03:39 AM
dllhg
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Is this a decent price for a Callaway C6 ?

I have always wanted a Vette and am finally about to pull the trigger.
I found one locally that looks incredible. I have never seen a Vette in person like it. He is asking $35K. Seems there are a lot of amazing deals on here for Z06s and other blown Vettes with lower miles but this is the best looking one by far I have seen. High miles is my main concern. If the car didnt look so amazing I would just move on. Looks like it would take a lot of time and money to make another C6 look like this one. Personally I was thinking 30K seems more in line. I know there is over 20K in mods to the car and I really like the mods he chose.

Here is what I know it has

2006 Black A6 90K miles

Has head up display , heated seats and navigation so I assume it is a 3LT ?
-Callaway 560 SC and hood

-Full body kit including Callaway carbon fiber side skirts rear spoiler/lip and front end

-ZR1 front and rear quarter panels.
-Black ZR1 Rims
-Nitto 295 up front and 345 in back 500 miles on tires

-Has a fully built trans from Art Carr supposed to handle up to 1000 HP/ stock stall. Paddle shift
-Built rear end made to handle the same
-Kooks Long tube headers with high flow Cats
-LG motorsports mufflers (retail about $800)
-ported and polished Heads
-Mild Blower Cam from Callaway
-larger radiator
-Dynoed 563 WHP at 5 PSI with 3.0 pulley Havent seen dyno sheet yet but says he has it. Said it would do 630 WHP with more boost and a tune. Sounds a little high.
-upgraded sway bars and some misc bushings
-power train warranty covering power train, electrical and cooling including supercharger until 150K mile or 2018 Not sure exactly what else they cover
-glass top and hard top
-looks like Z06 is stitched into the seats so I assume those are upgraded as well.

May be more done to car I have listed.

Last edited by dllhg; 08-23-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:14 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

With so many mods, only you can make that decision. If you want those things, that is a good price (compared to original cost). If you don't want them, just move on.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:17 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Sounds like that car could have a lot of hard miles on it. I would have someone who knows Vette's really well inspect it closely before purchase.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:47 AM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

If something happens to this car. Do you have a place to take it and have it repaired? I don't think a dealer is going to be able to help you out.
I would get everything checked out very well and understand what you are buying into.
Beauty is only skin deep
Robin
Good luck.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:10 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
With so many mods, only you can make that decision. If you want those things, that is a good price (compared to original cost). If you don't want them, just move on.
+1

these sort of cars are only worth what you are willing to pay for them. the owner is taking a bath on what he put in to it, it sounds like it would be worth it 'to you'
Old 08-23-2015, 01:28 PM
dllhg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Entaille
+1

these sort of cars are only worth what you are willing to pay for them. the owner is taking a bath on what he put in to it, it sounds like it would be worth it 'to you'
Very true. He put all the mods I would want on the car. Having the larger tires , built trans and rearend is huge to me. Stock one wont last long at all with 560 WHP. I need to find out how many miles are on those. I like to drive my cars hard. I dont think his price is out of line but I would feel more comfortable at 30k. Then if something goes out like the motor or trans I could cover it. I dont know how hard the miles are. I know he hasnt taken it to the track. Atleast he said he hasnt and he isnt selling any DRs with it. The warranty also makes it more appealing and adds value. With 90K miles he clearly daily drives this car. Doesnt mean he has been beating on it though. I have beaten the living crap out of my E55 and it has just about as many miles on it. Still running very strong

Last edited by dllhg; 08-23-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:23 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Do you have a VIN for the car? We maintain a database of both printed and electronic records of every car and truck we've built since 1987 (and some earlier). We can tell if it's the genuine article - or not

Makes a big difference for overall value. I'd like to see pics too, if available. Also, FWIW, the "warranty", as you mentioned, isn't going to be ours. A 2006, or a 10 year old Corvette, we simply would not have a warranty on that vehicle, which would have come with the car when new. Sounds like some unanswered questions, honestly. I hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:59 PM
dllhg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
Do you have a VIN for the car? We maintain a database of both printed and electronic records of every car and truck we've built since 1987 (and some earlier). We can tell if it's the genuine article - or not

Makes a big difference for overall value. I'd like to see pics too, if available. Also, FWIW, the "warranty", as you mentioned, isn't going to be ours. A 2006, or a 10 year old Corvette, we simply would not have a warranty on that vehicle, which would have come with the car when new. Sounds like some unanswered questions, honestly. I hope this helps.
Thank you I will check. I know the supercharger says Callaway on it. The warranty is through some other company.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:47 PM
dllhg
Drifting

dllhg , Today 04:44 PM
Owner just confirmed install of blower fueling and intake was all done at callaway. Trans and rear end have 40 k miles on them. Not great but not terrible. All under warranty. 100$ deductible on any repair. They are cool with all the mods on it too. Said they replaced a selanoid on trans no problem. Adds a lot of value. Don't think I would consider it without the warranty.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:06 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by dllhg
dllhg , Today 04:44 PM
Owner just confirmed install of blower fueling and intake was all done at callaway. Trans and rear end have 40 k miles on them. Not great but not terrible. All under warranty. 100$ deductible on any repair. They are cool with all the mods on it too. Said they replaced a selanoid on trans no problem. Adds a lot of value. Don't think I would consider it without the warranty.
I would do your homework on the aftermarket warranty and see who stands behind it, lots of worthless aftermarket warranties out there. It's also hard to believe any aftermarket warranty is ok with mods. Do your due diligence.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:52 PM
dllhg
Drifting

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I would do your homework on the aftermarket warranty and see who stands behind it, lots of worthless aftermarket warranties out there. It's also hard to believe any aftermarket warranty is ok with mods. Do your due diligence.
Ill look into it. He did specifically state they covered the supercharger as well. Maybe because it is from Callaway ? I know dealers work with Callaway and offer same warranty. Thats the only thing I can think of.

I am very close to pulling trigger. I bought my LS2 GTO the same way except I paid just the value of car without mods. It had blower, headers built trans suspension etc but it only had 35K miles on it. Such a sweet deal. LSX motors are pretty damn stout with decent tune. I know who dyno tuned it and they do good work. If motor goes I'll just have to put a 402 in
Old 08-24-2015, 10:34 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

90K miles isn't that many for an LSX engine. I have been told by separate professional sources that the LSX engines typically last 200K+ miles without needing major overhaul. Beyond that, though, when you buy a car that has been heavily modified by the P.O., you run the risk of complexifying the service of the car because you don't know everything that's been done to it. When I was a kid I had a street rod that had been built by a reputable local speed/machine shop for the P.O., but nothing was stock. Fortunately, when I began blowing trannys and rear ends and clutches I could reference the P.O. because he was married to my cousin. As a further example, my current 69 Mustang convertible was modified slightly by one or more P.O.s. I was putting a shift kit into the C4 automatic when I discovered that someone had already done that. Also, when the car is that heavily modified, is it still practical for street use or is it a dedicated race car?
Old 08-25-2015, 10:23 PM
dllhg
Drifting

Originally Posted by RagTop69
90K miles isn't that many for an LSX engine. I have been told by separate professional sources that the LSX engines typically last 200K+ miles without needing major overhaul. Beyond that, though, when you buy a car that has been heavily modified by the P.O., you run the risk of complexifying the service of the car because you don't know everything that's been done to it. When I was a kid I had a street rod that had been built by a reputable local speed/machine shop for the P.O., but nothing was stock. Fortunately, when I began blowing trannys and rear ends and clutches I could reference the P.O. because he was married to my cousin. As a further example, my current 69 Mustang convertible was modified slightly by one or more P.O.s. I was putting a shift kit into the C4 automatic when I discovered that someone had already done that. Also, when the car is that heavily modified, is it still practical for street use or is it a dedicated race car?

I'll be daily driving it along with my E55. Especially in the summer. Will be taking it to Laguna Seca and also to dragstrip in Sac a few times a year.

Couple poor quality pics of car in question.

Last edited by dllhg; 08-25-2015 at 11:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this a decent price for a Callaway C6 ?

Quick Reply: Is this a decent price for a Callaway C6 ?