C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whether to buy a C6, M3, or Boxster S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Whether to buy a C6, M3, or Boxster S?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for advice on the following cars Corvette C6 (2008-2012), BMW M3 (09), and and Boxster S (07-09). Would anyone recommend one over the other?

I would have to test drive all three to see if I like it. I like Corvettes a lot ever since I was a kid at 3 years old. BMW M3 seems like a great car and also the Boxster S. But I'm just not sure if they're really me. The car chooses the driver.

I know the C6 has the worse interior. The BMW M3 seems kind of heavy at 3800lbs and the Porsche Boxster S might not be a good fit in New England snow weather. For anyone with a convertible with a lot of snow, how does the top hold up? I don't have a garage anyone asking.

The C6 I'm referring to is the base model with manual transmission. The auto from what I hear is slow to react. The dct in the M3 and the PDK from what I hear are great auto transmissions.

I don't have any children. I'm single right now so four doors are not necessary at the moment. They're all priced within a grand of one another. The biggest question which one puts the biggest smile on my face?

So with that said, any opinions on the three cars?
Old 10-01-2015, 08:57 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I wonder which car folks in C6 General will tell you to get?
Old 10-01-2015, 09:02 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Well if you came to CF we already KNOW what you really want

I guess the others are fine for WOMEN

NOTHING like a Vette
Old 10-01-2015, 09:03 PM
buck fever
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you considered a AMC Gremlin?
Old 10-01-2015, 09:12 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Good luck repairing the BMW. The Porsche Boxter is a womens car.

Corvette =SMILES!!!
Old 10-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Originally Posted by slowstang305
Good luck repairing the BMW. The Porsche Boxter is a womens car.

Corvette =SMILES!!!
This was more along my thinking in particular repairing the M3 and the Corvette being a beast. The Boxster really isn't that bad, just designed feminine looking.

This would be my daily driver in New England. I don't know if you ever been but we can pretty good snow storms. I also forgot to mention I just started playing golf, and that might mean the Boxster is off the list for those two reasons. Can the vette handle two golf bags?

Last edited by Jp23rockstar; 10-01-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:25 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Just on looks alone, the C6 is far above either other car.

The others (IMO) are non-descript, everyday cars that won't turn many heads. I feel the same way about the newer Cadillacs; I don't care how fast they are.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:27 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Some will dispute it, but do you really think any of those RWD cars are adequate for dd duty in New England and snow? I'm just asking. BTW, what RWD car do you drive now thru the snow of several months?
Old 10-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for advice on the following cars Corvette C6 (2008-2012), BMW M3 (09), and and Boxster S (07-09). Would anyone recommend one over the other?

I would have to test drive all three to see if I like it. I like Corvettes a lot ever since I was a kid at 3 years old. BMW M3 seems like a great car and also the Boxster S. But I'm just not sure if they're really me. The car chooses the driver.

I know the C6 has the worse interior. The BMW M3 seems kind of heavy at 3800lbs and the Porsche Boxster S might not be a good fit in New England snow weather. For anyone with a convertible with a lot of snow, how does the top hold up? I don't have a garage anyone asking.

The C6 I'm referring to is the base model with manual transmission. The auto from what I hear is slow to react. The dct in the M3 and the PDK from what I hear are great auto transmissions.

I don't have any children. I'm single right now so four doors are not necessary at the moment. They're all priced within a grand of one another. The biggest question which one puts the biggest smile on my face?

So with that said, any opinions on the three cars?
Let's face it. Kind of a dumb question to ask in a Corvette Forum
Old 10-01-2015, 09:30 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

This was more along my thinking in particular repairing the M3 and the Corvette being a beast. The Boxster really isn't that bad, just designed feminine looking.

This would be my daily driver in New England. I don't know if you ever been but we can pretty good snow storms. I also forgot to mention I just started playing golf, and that might mean the Boxster is off the list for those two reasons. Can the vette handle two golf bags?
My "gf" parked her M3 a little too far on a curb. It pulled the front bumper forward by an inch. It's now getting a new bumper and headlight at a tune of close to $3800. I lol'ed when I found out each headlight is $1800.

I don't know how tall you are but a Porsche Boxter/Cayman is not made for anyone over 6ft at all. I could barely fit inside.

The C6 (This is my second one) is very comfortable ride, 30MPG highway and because it is a hatch design has tons of room in the back. I don't see you having any problems for golf. The only negative is the car is very low. I haven't been driving mine in snow (sunny South FL) so I cannot comment on how well it would do. I bet a good set of tires would make it pretty capable though. I went 6 Speed Manual, not sure if that is something you were looking for.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

In that case get the Beemer or Porsche.

It's against the law to drive Corvettes on salted roads!
Old 10-01-2015, 09:44 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bruze
Just on looks alone, the C6 is far above either other car.

The others (IMO) are non-descript, everyday cars that won't turn many heads. I feel the same way about the newer Cadillacs; I don't care how fast they are.
I also agree especially the M3 looks like a regular 3 series with a body kit. Not saying that's a bad thing if you like that kind of thing. Let's face it the regular 3 series buyer probably doesn't even know that the M3 exists. As far as the new Cadillacs, they seem bland looking especially the ATS.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:48 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

My "gf" parked her M3 a little too far on a curb. It pulled the front bumper forward by an inch. It's now getting a new bumper and headlight at a tune of close to $3800. I lol'ed when I found out each headlight is $1800.

I don't know how tall you are but a Porsche Boxter/Cayman is not made for anyone over 6ft at all. I could barely fit inside.

The C6 (This is my second one) is very comfortable ride, 30MPG highway and because it is a hatch design has tons of room in the back. I don't see you having any problems for golf. The only negative is the car is very low. I haven't been driving mine in snow (sunny South FL) so I cannot comment on how well it would do. I bet a good set of tires would make it pretty capable though. I went 6 Speed Manual, not sure if that is something you were looking for.
I appreciate the response. I'm currently looking at base no options torch red 2012 with 18k miles, manual. I would get snow tires for the winter and I should be all set. The only time I wouldn't drive it is when I don't have ground clearance. In that case I just stay home wait for the roads to clear. I'm not really a mod person but I would add a corsa exhaust but that's about it. And yikes for that repair on your girlfriends M3 like $1800 for each headlight. Kind of stupid if you ask me. It's a headlight for crying out, I don't care that it's foreign, no reason for such a markup just cause it's "foreign" and it's a "BMW". Not hating just seems like a big rip off.

Last edited by Jp23rockstar; 10-01-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:02 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Different cars. Boxster? F that thing.

M3 is a great car, but if you want speed, go C6 over that.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:11 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

I appreciate the response. I'm currently looking at base no options torch red 2012 with 18k miles, manual. I would get snow tires for the winter and I should be all set. The only time I wouldn't drive it is when I don't have ground clearance. In that case I just stay home wait for the roads to clear. I'm not really a mod person but I would add a corsa exhaust but that's about it. And yikes for that repair on your girlfriends M3 like $1800 for each headlight. Kind of stupid if you ask me. It's a headlight for crying out, I don't care that it's foreign, no reason for such a markup just cause it's "foreign" and it's a "BMW". Not hating just seems like a big rip off.
I agree on the headlight issue 100%. It is a huge markup but they made it a big deal saying it had to be special ordered and all that.

18k miles is nothing for the vette. A 2012 should be solid. 2008+ is basically what I would look for. LS3 engine has ALOT of power. I had a 2010 and have an 08 now. I used to own a Saleen mustang and honestly the Corvette is the closest thing to a Lambo that I will ever want to own. You sit VERY low and it is VERY fast. To be honest, I recommend going for a test drive. I love the tranny in the vette as well. My old Saleen transmission was horrible. If you don't mind me asking what is the asking price? Feel free to PM it if you wan't. Just want to make sure they are giving you a fair deal.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:16 PM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 333 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I wonder which car folks in C6 General will tell you to get?
Old 10-01-2015, 10:25 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

I agree on the headlight issue 100%. It is a huge markup but they made it a big deal saying it had to be special ordered and all that.

18k miles is nothing for the vette. A 2012 should be solid. 2008+ is basically what I would look for. LS3 engine has ALOT of power. I had a 2010 and have an 08 now. I used to own a Saleen mustang and honestly the Corvette is the closest thing to a Lambo that I will ever want to own. You sit VERY low and it is VERY fast. To be honest, I recommend going for a test drive. I love the tranny in the vette as well. My old Saleen transmission was horrible. If you don't mind me asking what is the asking price? Feel free to PM it if you wan't. Just want to make sure they are giving you a fair deal.
Just sent you a pm regarding price. Yeah I certainly be only looking at 2008s and up with a manual transmission. I would consider the auto but it's just not that good. Very slow to respond.

Get notified of new replies

To Whether to buy a C6, M3, or Boxster S?

Old 10-01-2015, 10:26 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

For daily driving all year round in New England, I'd say the M3. I'm not a BMW fan at all but I'm realistic. It's a more than adequate all season GT car with plenty of room, comfort, and performance.
The following users liked this post:
EyeMaster (10-02-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 10:29 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

What about a Porsche Cayman? It's mid-engine like a Boxter.
If you're going to use the car in the winter I don't think a C6 would be that great in the snow.
I would lean toward the M3. A friend of mine had one and now regrets it and he's looking for another one.
I sold a 911 to buy my Z06.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:31 PM
BillytheKidder
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I went through a similar discussion with myself. We thought about getting rid of both our Passat and our Z3 and getting German performance coupe, thinking it could do double duty. We ended up getting rid of the Z3, keeping the Passat and getting the C6. We're happy with that decision.

I vote no on the Boxter, hold out for a Cayman or 911.

Quick Reply: Whether to buy a C6, M3, or Boxster S?