C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blower fan

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 09:19 AM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default blower fan

well the wife's 05 A/C Blower motor is not working at all at any speed.

After reading a few post and making sure the motor had 14VDC at between A (+) and C (-) and varying voltage between Pin A (+) and Pin B (Command) I decided it must be the motor so i replaced it.

I am not sure what the command signal is supposed to be the manual said to use a test light and look for different intensity. I used a test a meter and it was between 8-12VDC depending on fan speed selection.

Well the motor did not fix the problem and I don't have tech II so any ideas on what to check now?

The only threads I have found with similar problems seem to magically start working after a while but I cant hold out hoping it will start working and don't want to throw parts at it.

I have a new stereo coming today from DD Mods so perhaps check the connections on the A/C control unit but all the signals going to the Blower look good, I cant imagine I got another inop Blower from the local Parts store but I think it may be.

HELP Please

Thanks in advance
Old 10-10-2015, 11:12 AM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

I am certaintly no mechanic but can't you just directly hook up the new and or old motor to a 12 volt power source such as a battery or battery charger to check if the motor even works?
Old 10-10-2015, 02:17 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RICH 28
I am certaintly no mechanic but can't you just directly hook up the new and or old motor to a 12 volt power source such as a battery or battery charger to check if the motor even works?

Rich,
Thanks for the response but the short answer is no.

The problem is the C6 Blower Motor also has a control circuit built in and a third control signal wire. I can connect the +12VDC and GND to pins A and C but the third wire is some unknown resistance to ground via the control module and fan speed selection.

I really think I need an GM OEM part since I don't trust the after market version being sold by all the local parts stores. The after market unit is visibly different and I am thinking it is perhaps incompatible with the corvette.

Has any one had any luck with an aftermarket blower unit? It looks like the standard aftermarket unit has a pig tail Vs a molded in connector like the OEM unit
Old 10-10-2015, 02:54 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Just in case anyone has a similar issue do NOT but the Advanced/Auto Zone/ Pep Boys after market blower assembly get a GM unit.

I just pulled the blower motor out of my 07 and it works perfect in the 05 (The car with the original problem).

Today I purchased two of the after market units and either they were DOA or they are not compatible with the Corvette; either way I wish I would have thought about pulling the part out of the 07 earlier it would have saved me a lot of time.

The after market units were different brands ie Cardone Vs Federal but both were made by the same MFR and neither worked. If you get a unit with pig tail on it Vs a molded connector in the unit odds are you will be SOL
Old 10-11-2015, 11:22 AM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Glad you got it fixed and for telling us what actually fixed it.

Get notified of new replies

To blower fan

Quick Reply: blower fan